***The 2020 Gym Rats Thread*** ᕦ( ͠°◞ °)ᕥ

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I'm guessing by leg extensions you mean leg press.

Feet on plate pushing forward.

Never did them before, so I'm guessing could be these causing the slight pain.

Leg press has potential to screw your knees depending on feet placement.

Leg extension:

jdN4O9W.jpg

Soldato
Also, there are (at least) two types of leg press - "pivot" and "straight" (I'd love to know what the official names are):

Pivot:

vccKXGu.jpg

Straight:

l497W6N.jpg

I love the pivot version and hate the straight version.

I went a couple of years without squatting (I have a love/hate relationship with squats!) and spent the time on the pivot leg press instead.

I found the movement carries over quite well and when I went back to squatting, transitioned back easily.

Soldato
Can anyone suggest a routine to make further strength gains?

Current stats:

BW = 60kg
Years training = 10

PBs (Powerlifting rules - i.e. pause bench, squat with hips below knees):

Squat = 140kg
Bench = 100kg
Dead = 180kg

I also do weighted pullups:
+ 40kg x 1 (estimated - I do more than 8 reps with +50% BW = 30kg+)

Ideally, I want the biggest strength gains with the shortest routine - e.g. I would rather go to the gym every day for 30 mins than 3 times a week for 70 mins!

Associate
Feels good to finally be able to post in here again.

"Eased" myself in with a chest session 5 reps per set. 80kg actually felt a little wobbly so wasn't expecting much, spent a bit of time warming up the stabilising muscles. 100kg,felt good, 110 even better. Stopped with a pretty solid 140kg x 5. Lost muchness less strength than pre lockdown than I was expecting.

Squat tomorrow if the rack is free, if not I'll deadlift.

Consigliere

Current stats:

BW = 60kg
Years training = 10

Squat = 140kg
Bench = 100kg
Dead = 180kg

Ideally, I want the biggest strength gains with the shortest routine - e.g. I would rather go to the gym every day for 30 mins than 3 times a week for 70 mins!

Looked into Stronglifts?

Also, you weigh around the same as me and wow for those stats. :eek:

From my limited knowledge...how is your diet? Could be impacting your plateau...if that is what you are saying?

Soldato
OP

Current stats:

BW = 60kg
Years training = 10

Squat = 140kg
Bench = 100kg
Dead = 180kg

Nice numbers. Off the top of my head here's a couple of things because you likely need at least some periodisation at this point rather than just trying to stick more weight on per-session or week:

1) free = Candito 6 week program (%'s based, basic Excel sheet), GZCL UHF5 (think it's RPE-based but can't remember)
2) cheap = Average to Savage 2.0 - excel sheet and you can spread the training volume over 3-6 days, I think it auto-regulates loads based on performance so somewhat interactive
3) $1 a day-ish = Juggernaut AI Powerlifting 2.0 - you pay monthly and can do all of the above, but the algorithm is a bit more advanced (although it's ultimately still some sort of decision-tree)

Soldato
You're in Belfast man, what gym do you go to? There's some fantastic powerlifting clubs all around the city.

I started in East Belfast @ the council gym (Avoniel) - they only had a Smith for squats and maybe 36kg dumbbells!

Then I went to DW Boucher / Shaw's Bridge, then Newtownabbey.

Now that DW is closed, my wife and I checked out a load of North Belfast gyms - I've had Re:Form recommended a few times and Marty there for powerlifting. Might book some sessions with him. We're currently @ MaxFit, which is small, new gym in North Belfast as it has everything we need (my wife has a general routine whilst mine is more powerlifting-focussed).

Looked into Stronglifts?

Also, you weigh around the same as me and wow for those stats. :eek:

From my limited knowledge...how is your diet? Could be impacting your plateau...if that is what you are saying?

Thanks!

Never tried Stronglifts, but heard of it. My "inspriration" has been:

Rippetoe (Starting Strength)
LeanGains (Martin Berkhan)
Menno Henselmans (from the Bayesian BB days)

My routine is similar to LeanGains / SS - i.e. very heavy compounds and low volume.

I started 10 years ago weighing about the same as I do now. Initially I lost the belly and got pretty ripped, but only weighed 50kg. I've since built up ~10kg of muscle, but the vast majority of that was in the first 5 years. I've gained very little muscle or strength in the last 5 years.

On the other hand, it was also the first 5 years where I took everything seriously. These last 5 years haven't been "coasting", but life / motivation has certainly got in the way somewhat! I've taken the gym less seriously these last few years - mostly for good because it can get frustrating when you're not gaining much / adding much to the bar. I got pretty lean before lockdown and was prepping for a deadlifting comp. I kept working out during lockdown, but with sandbags (i.e. high reps). I'm now back to where I was strength-wise, but with a few extra lb on the belly that I'm aiming to shift.

Nice numbers. Off the top of my head here's a couple of things because you likely need at least some periodisation at this point rather than just trying to stick more weight on per-session or week:

1) free = Candito 6 week program (%'s based, basic Excel sheet), GZCL UHF5 (think it's RPE-based but can't remember)
2) cheap = Average to Savage 2.0 - excel sheet and you can spread the training volume over 3-6 days, I think it auto-regulates loads based on performance so somewhat interactive
3) $1 a day-ish = Juggernaut AI Powerlifting 2.0 - you pay monthly and can do all of the above, but the algorithm is a bit more advanced (although it's ultimately still some sort of decision-tree)

Thanks, that's awesome - will check them out!

Last edited:
Associate
I'm not asking for medical advice, this is just for on topic discussion and also a warning to both the new and experienced lifters.

Well after 2 weeks back on plan after 4 months of inactivity during lockdown, the worst has happened and I pulled my lower back on Monday on bentover barbell rows. Despite having two herniated discs and microdiscectomy surgery 3 years ago I've done extremely well to rebuild my lower back and have experienced no pain or sciatica for 2 years now. Largely I credit this to putting more focus on my core strength alongside primary compounds and isolation work. Clearly I've been too eager to hit rows and not let my lower back rebuild its supporting muscle girdle.

Absolutely gutted and currently every morning I wake is sheer agony with a lovely S-shape to my spine. Those spasms drive fear in to me everytime, dropping to the floor in panic. If you've experienced this, you'll relate. If you've never experienced it, please please look after your spine folks. Almost daily I'm seeing new starters in the gym meaning well and getting stuck in to the compounds with no real idea of the damage they are causing themselves longer term. I'm not one for interfering and causing awkwardness, but very very occasionally I do speak to the worst offenders with the best intentions.

I've been lifting since my early 20s and I'm now 38. My back hurts. My shoulders are showing some signs of abuse with a likely tear on the right in particular. I'm generally growing old and creaky now.

Once my back eases I'm heading back with a more refined approach and plan to adapt my routine to focus less on the numbers and more on perfect form.

Question: does anyone include hyper extensions in to their routine? I've never purposely included them but I'm likely going to have to exclude squats and deadlifts from my old man routine now as it presents far too much risk, despite them technically being productive for spinal health IF they are done perfectly. I can't trust myself with the IF anymore. My gym has both a standing/seat belted hyper extension machine or an actual bench.

Last edited:

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Form over numbers all day, especially as you get older, if you want longevity. I used to smash weights in my mid 20s and did really well, but I have some lingering damage from those times. I get that lifting heavy is fun and part of the hobby, but it does come at a cost. Besides, when you're at the pool/beach and look juicy AF, no one is thinking how much you lift.

I've never done hyper extensions, but I think it's certainly a worthwhile movement if you aren't incorporating lifts that tax the lower back in a safe way.

Man of Honour
I see some absolutely horrific form in the gym - deadlifts and squats always being the worst. I’ll always go for form over numbers, although there is always a risk with any movement that you do in the gym. Most of my gym injuries, fortunately mostly muscle damage, have been warming up or have had no obvious cause. I’ve definitely eased slightly on my deadlifts since lockdown. Touch wood I’ve never had any lower back pain or soreness other than muscle aches, but then that’s why I stick to my program and go for gradual progression.

Associate
Form over numbers all day, especially as you get older, if you want longevity. I used to smash weights in my mid 20s and did really well, but I have some lingering damage from those times. I get that lifting heavy is fun and part of the hobby, but it does come at a cost. Besides, when you're at the pool/beach and look juicy AF, no one is thinking how much you lift.

I've never done hyper extensions, but I think it's certainly a worthwhile movement if you aren't incorporating lifts that tax the lower back in a safe way.

If only we could travel back in time and have a frank chat with our younger selves :) Absolutely agree on the aesthetics, at this stage of my life now I'll be happy just to maintain some lumps and bumps under my t-shirt which doesnt include my spine poking through :D

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I see some absolutely horrific form in the gym - deadlifts and squats always being the worst. I’ll always go for form over numbers, although there is always a risk with any movement that you do in the gym. Most of my gym injuries, fortunately mostly muscle damage, have been warming up or have had no obvious cause. I’ve definitely eased slightly on my deadlifts since lockdown. Touch wood I’ve never had any lower back pain or soreness other than muscle aches, but then that’s why I stick to my program and go for gradual progression.

Thing is, I was very anal about my form when I was powerlifting. Anyone who watched my older videos would say my squat was a perfect example of a low bar squat. What wasn't apparent in those videos is the toll the heavy weights take on the ligaments and tendons. Both my knees eventually had pain despite my form being spot on. Doing 200kg squats for triples was great fun, but there is a lot compensatory strength that comes into those bigger weights.

Same with my bench press, all reps were paused on my chest and well controlled, 150kg for triples again, but a smaller muscle in my shoulder eventually got sore and painful.

I don't deadlift really anymore, even though I miss pulling 250kg, there is no incentive for me. Happily do lighter RDL which hits the posterior chain really well.

For me it's about keeping in shape, feeling good and looking good. I don't do big numbers anymore, and I look better than I did at in my peak powerlifting days, while weighing about the same 80-83kg, and I'm 8 years older.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom