It's too hot :(

Man of Honour
Another hot one today. Then tomorrow we seem to have thunderstorms all day and night.
Can't wait. We've had to keep the bedroom windows closed because our cat has been trying to get out onto the roof at night to cool down. A neighbours managed to get up there last year and I had to rescue it. So it's utterly sweltering here at night.

Soldato
The monster storm went over us at about 1am, followed by the sound of a lot of emergency vehicles in the area (probably flooding in the Poynton area) and was rather spectacular... Unlike my hit rate capturing anything particularly flashy.

This is as good as it got thanks to me forgetting how to pre-focus my DSLR. Thank goodness for phones and auto settings. Looks like I may get chance again later though. It's not too warm at the moment, but it looks like temps/humidity are heading back to misery levels again. Respect to anyone who has to work hard in this.

Associate
Just moved into a new-build flat and it's baking hot. Both windows on the same side of the building so difficult to get a through draft. The difference between external air temperature and the flat this morning at 0630 was light and day. It feels like about 30 degrees inside!

Curtains up now to block some sunlight, have two pedestal fans working as intake & exhaust in separate rooms but the air outside is getting hotter and I'll need to close the windows soon. I hate it!

Soldato
Apparently yesterday broke official temp records for Southampton, 34.1C.

Private weather stations on Wunderground app are already reading 30-34C, with thunderstorms predicted around 1600, cannot wait!

But then it might not be much besides rain 24/7 until next Wednesday... It's too wet! :(

Soldato
Just moved into a new-build flat and it's baking hot. Both windows on the same side of the building so difficult to get a through draft. The difference between external air temperature and the flat this morning at 0630 was light and day. It feels like about 30 degrees inside!

Curtains up now to block some sunlight, have two pedestal fans working as intake & exhaust in separate rooms but the air outside is getting hotter and I'll need to close the windows soon. I hate it!

If you've got a south/SE/SW facing windows, i'd suggest blinds and a window film that can reflect out sunlight. Ideally you also need to keep any windows on that side of the building closed to stop blowing in hotter air from outside.

Associate
If you've got a south/SE/SW facing windows, i'd suggest blinds and a window film that can reflect out sunlight. Ideally you also need to keep any windows on that side of the building closed to stop blowing in hotter air from outside.

Yes south-easterly facing windows. Definitely closing windows during the day, but makes sense to have them open as soon as the outside temperature drops surely? The air outside was cooler than inside this morning by a substantial margin. Not sue it's a lack of insulation as the flat was 26+ all night long. We're on the top floor so get all the sun from above and the heat from the flat below I guess.

Soldato
Yes south-easterly facing windows. Definitely closing windows during the day, but makes sense to have them open as soon as the outside temperature drops surely? The air outside was cooler than inside this morning by a substantial margin. Not sue it's a lack of insulation as the flat was 26+ all night long. We're on the top floor so get all the sun from above and the heat from the flat below I guess.

Yeah as soon as temperature outside is lower then open the windows. That doesn't usually happen until sunset on those really warm days.

We had a middle floor flat in the past, of a reasonably modern building (1995 iirc), and that was unbearable during any hot summer days.

Soldato
Apparently yesterday broke official temp records for Southampton, 34.1C.

Private weather stations on Wunderground app are already reading 30-34C, with thunderstorms predicted around 1600, cannot wait!

But then it might not be much besides rain 24/7 until next Wednesday... It's too wet! :(

Yeah it was unbearable yesterday stiffling hot stuffy and not a breath of wind to be had forecast for today is another 30c but its usually higher than that. Not a drop of rain to be seen nor am I expecting any theres a 29% chance of thunderstorms tomorrow but that basically means you might see a cloud in the distance or a rumble if you're lucky. But at least temperatures are forecast to drop to 24c which is more bearable. Even the portable a/c can't keep on top of it it merely reduces it from volcano rim heat to slightly too warm theres just too much heat in the environment.

The water company is struggling people in mid county have been without for 5 days - they can't keep up with supply the pressure is a bit low here too.

Sure, it’s not Dubai, but the summers do seem to be spiking over 30C more frequently than they used to.

They sure are 30 years ago when you on school hols you prayed for a couple of weeks of sunny weather and were lucky if you got it, for it to be hot was rare of we used to have veg patches and fruit and even rhubarb! Wouldn't even attempt any of that these days without substantial irrigation in the last 5-10 years summers have been consistently warmer and drier basically it doesn't rain from May through to September, last year it didn't start again till October and stopped in April this year since then its been 2...3 days of drizzly stuff and one proper day of rain and thats been it. Water is going to be a scarce resource in the not to distant future and especially as Boris seems determined to build, build, build down here.

Soldato
Today feels worse than yesterday although the thermometer says it's not quite as hot it still feels stifling.
Just can't go outside anymore.
I used to love this when I was young but not anymore.
Roll on log burner time

Caporegime
This morning was glorious. Finished off my grass, had lunch out in the sun and just finished another stint of sunbathing.

We were meant to be getting rain last night, then this morning and now it's not due until tonight. My sun dancing has been paying off.

Soldato
30.5C at my desk, a new record

I honestly dont remember 30C+ 20 years ago, is it going to get hotter and hotter as the years go on or am I just being stupid and I just never noticed it when I was younger!?

Back
Top Bottom