New Fresh Prince gritty drama

Soldato
Original series was part of after school TV for years in the early 90's, can't watch the trailer as at work but hope they haven't gone serious with it.

Meh.
Never saw the first one, never known anyone else who did.

What age are you if you don't mind me asking? I'm 41 and pretty much don't know anyone close to my age who hasn't seen it.

Soldato
Is this not an 18 month old fan trailer?

Ever wonder what The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air might look like if it suddenly returned to the airwaves in 2019? Well, given Hollywood’s current penchant for giving everything a “dark” and “gritty” backstory, it would probably look quite a bit like this superbly made fan film by director Morgan Cooper. Simply titled Bel-Air, it gives Will Smith’s young “Will” a considerably more dire origin story while keeping all of the major Fresh Prince beats intact.

Yes thankfully, Fresh Prince don't need no remake

Soldato
It's in the pipeline....

The four-minute video, created by director and super-fan Morgan Cooper, reimagined the hit comedy as a serious drama telling the story of a working-class Philadelphia teen adapting to life with his richer family in Los Angeles. It racked up over 7.5m views between two YouTube posts, and caught the attention of the show’s original star Will Smith, who is now developing a series with Cooper.

Caporegime
Meh. Fresh Prince was Will Smith's character in heaven. He got killed in the fight in Philly and his idea of heaven is being well off and having a Butler. When his mom visits its her visiting his grave.

Soldato
Who are you friends with, hedgehogs?
At that time, most of my friends were other soldiers.
But even outside of that, nobody watched it... Nobody's mum watched it, nobody's sister watched it, nobody in offices or shops was overheard talking about it. I think even ST: DS9 was more popular than FPoBA.
Was it more of a kid's programme, perhaps?

Caporegime
At that time, most of my friends were other soldiers.
But even outside of that, nobody watched it... Nobody's mum watched it, nobody's sister watched it, nobody in offices or shops was overheard talking about it. I think even ST: DS9 was more popular than FPoBA.
Was it more of a kid's programme, perhaps?

When I grew up (I'm 33) it was on all the time! It's pop culture for a reason, it was overly popular. I suppose it's more popular in America, but even still. I'm suprised anyone in their 30s hasn't seen an episode.

Soldato
I'd expect most people aged between about 35 and 42 to have watched it at least a bit first time around, and lots of people younger than that would have caught the repeats.

As for the fan trailer, which apparently is moving forward with the guy who made that and with Will Smith on board..... I think it looks alright. I'm down for a more real and gritty version of the story. The original audience is old now, and the magic of the original was heavily down to the alchemy of the great cast. Would be difficult to replicate another breezy comedy version.

Back
Top Bottom