New Fresh Prince gritty drama

Soldato
I'm within that age bracket and I was fully aware that it existed... Just nobody I knew actually watched it.
We never watched Friends or ER, either.

See I never liked Friends when it was broadcast although all my friends raved about it, came back to it years later and really enjoyed it.

My folks used to like ER :D

Soldato
Guys, you realise that when this was on - there was 4 channels. You either watched it, you watched the news or a documentary about railways.
Really?
Pretty sure we had Sky TV by that point...

See I never liked Friends when it was broadcast although all my friends raved about it, came back to it years later and really enjoyed it.
My folks used to like ER :D
Watched a bit of both, disliked both. Never bothered any further.

Soldato
No sky in my house, folks couldn't afford it. Had a mate who did and he would record episodes of x files for me and bring in each week.
But it did exist.
Moreover, my parents had it, and that's with them and my sister all living off the single income of a truck driver. It's probably pushing the boundaries toward luxury at their social level, but they could still afford it along with cigarettes and beer.

Soldato
IIRC it was on BBC2 at around 6pm-ish. I think I was in my last years of High School when I remember seeing it (maybe '92-'93ish) as my dad would always want to watch the 6pm BBC1 news so, after I'd finished my homework, I had to pop around to my next-door neighbours as they had 4 kids who all watched it.

As for the "new" potential version, whilst I understand this is based more on realism, everything in that trailer is missing the innocence that the original had. Maybe this "everything has to be dark and gritty" epidemic in TV/Cinema we've had over the past decade is just starting to wear thin for me but I know I'm getting sick of watching comedy reboots become dire laughter-vacuums really quickly now. There's no "hope", no "light", nothing to inspire anymore, it's all becoming nihilistic negative rubbish and thats just not who I am, nor is it what I want to be bombarded by 24/7, especially not out of context like this seems to be.

Soldato
Not will smith or original surviving cast and its too serious going and not fun and easy going like 90s so defo no from me. I wish they stop with remakes of popular shows or films with new cast and a different direction for a new generation spiel they do these days.

Soldato
Meh. Fresh Prince was Will Smith's character in heaven. He got killed in the fight in Philly and his idea of heaven is being well off and having a Butler. When his mom visits its her visiting his grave.

• The Guys Who Were Up To No Good were gangbangers that killed Will on the playground.
  • The Rare Cab was an angel taking Will to to the afterlife.
  • Having a rich Aunt and Uncle in Belair would be heaven to a poor kid from the hood.
  • His mother only visited on holidays and birthdays, exactly when you'd expect a mother to visit her sons grave.

Soldato
You must have been distracted by the silly dancing and missed the sometimes searing social commentary in the original.

As explained I was around 14-15 IIRC so apart from a few very obvious "on the nose" episodes, yeah, I watched it for the laughing and fun! What were you doing at 14 that involved watching "kids shows" for the "searing social commentary" instead of the fun and laughter? :D

Soldato
In a "Mandela effect" I was sure he died of an OD and so do lots of others but, in this reality at least, he recovered from the OD - which do you remember?

Yeah, I know he recovered because I vaguely remember something about a boat or a ferry after all that. But I've had many, many sleeps since then and it's all a bit hazy.

Soldato
I watched it back in day, oddly only a few months ago I rewatched it all.

Enjoyed it then and on re-watch. Doesn't need a remake or modern retelling.

Soldato
Aren't you from SA? Or did you move to the UK very young?
Nope and nope.
Born in Scotland, grew up around Hertfordshire and London.

I have a fair few Saffer friends (plus one formerly naturalised), so have added their cultural and culinary distinctiveness to my own, but that's about it.

Back
Top Bottom