2019 Chilli Growing thread

Caporegime
@Pigeon_Killer That tail!! Gnarly AF what is it? Looks like a reaper with that tail!
Yep, it's a reaper. Got two plants this year and they're both producing monsters. I'm using different seeds this year so not sure if it's genetics or just the fact I put them out in the greenhouse a few weeks earlier.

Cheers, think we got a week or two of good chilli weather coming up, i love fatalii chilli, my fav hot chilli, your fatalii lemon sounds interesting, never made sauce before, got loads from last year still to try and make chilli sauce.
This website has some amazing recipes for hot sauces and most are very simple to make. I made the roasted ghost pepper sauce last year and it tasted awesome.

www.chilipeppermadness.com

Will have to look out for some sauce bottles to buy, thx
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007CJPP5M

Soldato
Will bookmark those links as i've got quite a few chillies growing, and it would seem a shame for them to go to waste.

How quickly are peoples chillies ripening? I've got some Cayennes that are probably a good 5-7 inches in length, but they're all green. I assume they still have to ripen on the plant before taking them off?

Really hoping the warm weather we get over the next couple of weeks gives them a bit of a boost, as summer so far has been awful.

Soldato
They'll get ripe over the course of less than a week in my experience once they're that long. You can pick when green anyway, but it's worth waiting a little longer.

Lots of mine are shrivelling, probably due to the heat and I can't water them fast enough!

I put some on a pizza a few weeks ago unshrivelled and they were nice and punchy. Put some dried out bits on a pizza the other night and it wasn't a quarter as potent, so best to keep them hydrated it seems.

I've got more than I know what to do with so will probably be saucing too. Anyone do fermented so it lasts longer?

We did chili jam last year too though not with our own chilis as we didn't do any last year, that's definitely worth repeating, it's amazing.

Caporegime
I think I made my sauce early this year rather than last year, as I said above, but it's kept for well over 6 months so far and hasn't really changed flavour or turned.

Freezing them works very well, I've still got hundreds left over from last year and they're still just as hot. Easy to chop if you do it immediately after taking them out but leave them 5 minutes and they turn in to a soggy mess.

I've got a family of False Widows in my greenhouse now, life and death every time I venture in there but some of my smaller Scorpions are ripe already and need picking.

Soldato
They'll get ripe over the course of less than a week in my experience once they're that long. You can pick when green anyway, but it's worth waiting a little longer.

Ah that'll be ideal, will hopefully see them ripening by the weekend then.

I've got some numex twilights, and they go through a range of colours - green - purple - yellow - orange - red. Currently only in the green/purple phase.

I've got a family of False Widows in my greenhouse now, life and death every time I venture in there but some of my smaller Scorpions are ripe already and need picking.

Time to abandon and just burn it all down?

Could the chillies be removed, and then some poison/spider killer put in there?

Caporegime
I've got some bug spray that'll ruin them but they're keeping the bugs at bay so I'm going to let them do their thing.

Just need a full hazmat suit and a decontamination shower after every visit up until November and then I'll try and get some ammonium nitrate to finish them off.

Caporegime
Having a Spag Bol this evening so picked my first two peppers of the year to add some heat, both Ghosts and both from different plants. One plant has a ton of small fruit and the other only has 6 but they're all pretty big.

Got a load of small Moruga's ready to pick and around 10 Chocolate Douglah's although I'm not sure if they'll get any darker.

Caporegime
Not so much of a punch anymore but a heat that continues to increase with every mouthful but never becomes overpowering.

Going to make a Jambalaya on Friday with a few Douglah's and I've never had them before so that could be a mild to a KO punch :D

Caporegime
First mini harvest of the year for me, 3 x Borg 9 and 9 x Moruga Scorpion which are such a dark shade of red they almost look brown. Was a bit worried I was getting Habanero's again but the bigger fruit on these plants are far more wrinkly and some have tails :cool:

Edit: The 3 Borg's went in to my Jambalaya this evening and they're aren't anywhere near as hot as I thought they would be. My Bolognese with 2 Ghosts was far hotter :(

Last edited:
Caporegime
Another mini harvest today but I expect to be picking around 50 a week for the next 6 weeks now.

6 x Borgs, 6 x Chocolate Douglahs which look gorgeous, 5 x Ghosts and another 15 x Moruga Scorpions already bagged up and in the freezer.

Back
Top Bottom