• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Man of Honour
Just put together office pc for my missus:
Ryzen 5 3600
MSI b450 pro-m2 mATX max
Corsair 32 GB 3000 MHz
Crucial p2 500 GB nvme

Noticed it was boosting (before applying all drivers,updates) to 4275 MHz on all auto (xmp on).
This computer feels so quick for an office pc :D

Basically the same as my wifes machine, she has ryzen 3600, Aorus B450 pro, 16gb Gloway (nanya a die) 3200mhz memory and an nvme alongside an rx470... the thing flies, brilliant little desktop machine and when my mate had a game of csgo and pubg on it he was blown away with just how fast it was compared to his haswell rig.

To be honest it feels just as good if not better than my 1st gen threadripper rig on the desktop and in apps etc. It's just really super snappy. Good choice in components!! I haven't even looked what her chip boosts to or what it's doing. I just set it up and let her go with it. Might have to spend a little more time having a look at it :)

Caporegime
Who runs it at stock... Pointless, they are all taking nonsense compared to real world users
I would say that the vast majority of users run them at stock because Zen2 famously does not respond so well to overclocking vs Intel. The gains are not significant and good performance can be had simply by having a good air cooler that means the CPU can it full boost without any hassle.

If you are saying that all review sites, that are producing consistent and measurable results, are all talking nonsense then perhaps you are the one talking a wee bit of guff in this current discussion. :p

Soldato
I run my 3800X stock. (And run my fans on blast when I'm in the sim with headphones on) It sits between 45 and 50 degrees, and runs all cores between 4.375 and 4.425.

Soldato
I would say that the vast majority of users run them at stock because Zen2 famously does not respond so well to overclocking vs Intel. The gains are not significant and good performance can be had simply by having a good air cooler that means the CPU can it full boost without any hassle.

If you are saying that all review sites, that are producing consistent and measurable results, are all talking nonsense then perhaps you are the one talking a wee bit of guff in this current discussion. :p
It full boosts as you call it to 4ghz for anything other than single threaded tasks. And only one core for those.
How many games uses 1 core these days, hence it boosts to 4ghz
Intel oc higher numbers, but ryzen oc suddenly puts it even with a 10900k, and im taking oc that includes the memory

Associate
I got a good deal on a 3700X so went all in and now PC is up and running nicely :)
I managed to OC the ram to 3800MHz from 3600MHz and set timings to 16-19-14-34 from 18-22-22-42.

My-PCBuild.jpg

Soldato
Guys does anyone WC their Ryzen kit? I’d like to reuse my EK supremacy block but have heard Mixed things about Ryzen and water cooling. I’d rather not bin all my kit and just get a new mounting bracket. Is air really better than WC? Or is it that WC is not particularly better...

Associate
What temps do people get at idle for a stock 3700k? Using a b550 mortar and it idles at 55c with a
Alpenföhn K2 Mount Doom CPU Cooler.

Seems a bit high from a quick Google, I'm wondering whether I might have put the thermal grizzly kryonaut on badly... Did a thin layer with the spatula.

Associate
What temps do people get at idle for a stock 3700k? Using a b550 mortar and it idles at 55c with a
Alpenföhn K2 Mount Doom CPU Cooler.

Seems a bit high from a quick Google, I'm wondering whether I might have put the thermal grizzly kryonaut on badly... Did a thin layer with the spatula.
Mine idles at 39 degrees with h100i. It used to be 34 but I have Corsair iCue installed for the keyboard which raises idle temps slightly

Associate
Thanks, so I'm probably on the high side, even taking into consideration the current heatwave.

There are too many factors to consider (room temp, case airflow, cooler, cpu itself, how you are measuring, etc.). I'm using a H100i too and my 3800X averages 50C at the moment. It was only mid thirties before the summer (+ I have increased voltages and haven't cleaned my front case filter for a while).

I wouldn't be concerned about 55C idle, as long the CPU is kept from throttling under load.

Soldato
There are too many factors to consider (room temp, case airflow, cooler, cpu itself, how you are measuring, etc.). I'm using a H100i too and my 3800X averages 50C at the moment. It was only mid thirties before the summer (+ I have increased voltages and haven't cleaned my front case filter for a while).

I wouldn't be concerned about 55C idle, as long the CPU is kept from throttling under load.

My 3700x is about 50 idle and up to 70/73 under load (kraken x62). Mine doesn't throttle at all and performs well. I think I just have a poor thermal performing cpu as I've tried all sorts to get it cooler.

Associate
Been playing around with my ram frequency and timings a bit since upgrading to Ryzen 2nd gen. Previously on a 2700x with 3600mhz c18 ram I couldn't get above 3333mhz without errors. Now on 2nd gen I'm at 3600mhz c16 with no errors and I think with a little bit more voltage I could be error free at c15. Not tried a higher frequency yet.

Back
Top Bottom