• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
The super cards are what we should have got at release but even then it wouldn't have been an amazing uplift.

The 2080 even had less VRAM than the 1080ti so costs were saved there also.

Costs were saved :confused: Ah, so you must have the cost of 11GB of GDDR5X vs 8GB of GDDR6 at the time of each cards production run.

Soldato
Would you take a 3070 GTX (pretend case) if it was the price of the 1070 launch (no rtx stuff) but worked out to be a 75% uplift?

If they do that with my 1080Ti, I could go for that. Ray tracing is worth *something* to me, but I'm not interested in spending a bunch of money on it. If it costs "a bunch of money" to include on a GPU, I'll take a non-ray-trace card now and check back in after it becomes more mainstream and the cost of implementing this feature is much, much lower.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Well it should have been an option, possibly in a cleverly named 16** type series up the stack alongside the rtx which is where the forcing comes in to play. It could possibly be the new cards have it sussed and be worth some outlay but again the volume of titles out there using it needs to be there which it isnt.

nVidia could redeem slightly if they price better this release but the form is there for it.

Soldato
The only game I own that supports ray tracing is SOTTR so not worth spending a £200 premium on imo.

Tbh the game looks fine at high detail 1440p and I certainly don't feel like I missed out on a must have feature that would have vastly improved my enjoyment of the game and if anything I would have preferred more fps instead of being at around 70 on a 144hz monitor as this would have made it feel more fluid.

I will certainly be looking at rasterization first and for most for my next card with RT performance being more of a bonus feature rather than a must have.

:confused: that's not what was said or answered to.

Who knows the price difference between GDDR5X and GDDR6, my point was they elected to use 8gb over 11GB at the same price point.

Last edited:
Soldato
:confused: that's not what was said or answered to.

You assume he meant costs of 2080 mem compared to 1080ti mem.

He didn't..he meant the cost of manufacturing 2080s with 8gb vs higher amounts of ram.

The 2080 isn't much better than a 1080ti, has less ram and was more expensive.

Soldato
You assume he meant costs of 2080 mem compared to 1080ti mem.

He didn't..he meant the cost of manufacturing 2080s with 8gb vs higher amounts of ram.

The 2080 isn't much better than a 1080ti, has less ram and was more expensive.

Well yes, less memory was specific to manufacturing costs, apparently.

How else would you interpret, "The 2080 even had less VRAM than the 1080ti so costs were saved there also".

If the GDDR6 was more expensive per GB than GDDR5X then how were costs saved? Without seeing the data this is pure speculation, not fact.

Man of Honour
This is the argument that some fail to grasp that stick up for the rtx series. Hiking prices isnt justified when this sidestep happens.

Problem is no one kicks back against it - the price hiking and tier sliding in relative hardware spec takes the mick but so many just buy anyway :( and in the end only the 2080ti is going to have any kind of viable longer term future with RTX features and even that won't hold up forever if developers start using them properly.

Soldato
AMD is no saint, 5700xt is way more expensive than it should have been either, but some still see it as "value" compared to nVIDIA's 2080/ti. Both companies have been jacking up the prices a lot.

Associate
Yeah its the norm though isnt it? If the company screw up from bad management/planning its not the fault of the customer. We can let it slide if its a one off cant we @Jacky60 ? But paying 40% more again wont cut it no matter how much RTX you smother over the dry cake. :)
Prices should return to their historic norms not an insanely inflated new 'normal' although given the willingness of many to blindly pay whatever is asked I'm not sure that will happen. After the Titan Pascal at least Nvidia were decent enough to release the 1080ti at a 'reasonable' price. Without serious competition they may well stick to the ludicrous new pricing regime.

Associate
AMD is no saint, 5700xt is way more expensive than it should have been either, but some still see it as "value" compared to nVIDIA's 2080/ti. Both companies have been jacking up the prices a lot.
Yeah they're both taking the P with prices, yes many will buy but I'll sit this new generation out if I have to.

Soldato
Yup, don't expect AMD to 'save' you all people!! They hunt down the last pound/dollar too now just like nVidia!!!
True enough but still they are 3/4 the price of their competitor, at least here in Denmark. So buying into the RTX ecosystem with similar rasterizing performance will cost you 33% more (5700xt vs 2070 super). Some will find that a worthwhile price for RTX, some don't, to each their own. Don't get me wrong, AMD is certainly not a saint. They want to be a premium brand with the mindshare that follows and the pricetags.

However, I have more faith in AMD's approach to the market. Look at the Ryzen 3600 vs 3950. You got so much value for peanuts with the 3600 and like 85-90% of the gaming performance. I believe AMD will try for a similar approach with Radeon, of course with more performance differences between top, mid, and bottom offerings. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a proper 4k60 capable card for around 400 quid. What also interests me is if Nvidia is going to do the same? surely the outrage of the Touring prices must have stung a bit. Interesting times ahead with both companies to be sure.

Associate
Just sold my 1080ti for almost £500 on eBay which after paying PayPal and eBay (£1) fee leaves me with more than I paid for it exactly 1 year ago.!
And people on here were saying that I overpaid back then as 1080ti back then wasn’t worth more than £350...
LOL

Awaiting Ampere.......

Soldato
Yup, don't expect AMD to 'save' you all people!! They hunt down the last pound/dollar too now just like nVidia!!!

True but lack of competition doesn't help, I hope big navi (unicorn gpu) goes for the top rung 3080ti/3090 other wise nothing will change.

If your product is the only one that does what it does then you can charge more

Back
Top Bottom