• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Navi 23 ‘NVIDIA Killer’ GPU Rumored to Support Hardware Ray Tracing, Coming Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I think news will surface before the months out. As for availability I think nvidia will be first, it will be can you hold off to compare against AMD releases as it may be a few weeks after possibly into november which is when the consoles will be out.

Yeah I'm in no rush, It is just a nice to have thought just now really.

Soldato
While your posting history in this thread is straight AMD bad bashing - Intel good shilling like from paid troll.
I"m still waiting for an explanation of how I can self-generate data and feedback on products that don't exist yet, but he's too busy waffling on about how Intel TDP in a speculative AMD GPU thread...

Caporegime
Interested to see what AMD come away with. I'm looking to swap out a Vega 56 fairly soon to make use of the higher refresh rate of a 1440P monitor.
It's somewhat doubtful that there will be an (AMD) upgrade for your Vega 56 for less than £400+. I have the same card, but won't be upgrading GPU this time around.

Soldato
It's somewhat doubtful that there will be an (AMD) upgrade for your Vega 56 for less than £400+. I have the same card, but won't be upgrading GPU this time around.

I didn't expect an upgrade to cost less really. The Vega 56 is a good card but looking fr a boost so I guess the price tag will come with that.

Caporegime
I didn't expect an upgrade to cost less really. The Vega 56 is a good card but looking fr a boost so I guess the price tag will come with that.
Yes the days of spending the same as your last card and getting an upgrade are well and truly over.

Each gen from now on you can expect to add at least £100 :p

Joking? Maybe not...

Soldato
Yes the days of spending the same as your last card and getting an upgrade are well and truly over.

Each gen from now on you can expect to add at least £100 :p

Joking? Maybe not...

Time will tell!
I won't be jumping straight in, I usually wait a bit for the line up to mature a bit. Hopefully prices dip a little by the time I decide.
The Vega 56 is doing perfectly fine just now though.

Yup I'll not be deciding which way I'm going until multiable Ampere and RDNA2 reviews land.
With the kind of cash we are talking about these days, we all need to get it right the first time.
Plus I like to monitor closely for the first month for reported problems / card failures from the day one buyers.

Soldato
Yup I'll not be deciding which way I'm going until multiable Ampere and RDNA2 reviews land.
With the kind of cash we are talking about these days, we all need to get it right the first time.
Plus I like to monitor closely for the first month for reported problems / card failures from the day one buyers.

If I'm going AMD then I need to know the drivers are stable. I'm not concerned about noise or heat, but the drivers are the main concern in addition to Freesync functionality. They don't need to best Nvidia's flagship either, I'll be happy with 1080ti + 50% performance so long as the price is right.

You mention card failures, weren't there issues with Nvidia 2000 series cards overheating and actually going on fire?

As you say, this will take time to assess, and with the console details likely to be later then it might be December before a proper informed decision can be made.

Associate
Very true indeed, that said, the consumer should not IMHO use that as an excuse to throw caution to the wind. If you reward anti-consumer practices with your money you can bet the house that the same company will do it again and perhaps even worse the next time. If you pay for a luxury item that's overpriced because only one company makes it and then get mad when the price is even higher the next time around, you as a buyer only have yourself to blame and not all the companies that didn't put out a competing product. This is not about Nvidia btw but any company really. We all have different lines in the sand we don't want to cross and that is fine. What bugs me a lot is those who complain about something saying they won't support it and then support it afterward.
+1 You have to vote with your wallet every time. It's the only thing companies understand.

Man of Honour
+1 You have to vote with your wallet every time. It's the only thing companies understand.

Hence why I'm still on a 1070 and only bought that when I could get it at an almost reasonable £350. Sadly I seem to largely be a lone voice however.

Caporegime
Hence why I'm still on a 1070 and only bought that when I could get it at an almost reasonable £350. Sadly I seem to largely be a lone voice however.

Agreed, that is a great pricepoint for an upper-medium card which should really last the buyer a few years. Hopefully we can get back to that...

Soldato

Hear hear. :)

One thing you need to bear in mind though, is the status symbol aspect; some people actually like to pay over the odds for a particular product because it makes them feel they have access to something that others haven't, an exclusivity complex so to speak.

That's why you get people buying £60k cars when they commute by train and spend most weekends on the lash. I have a neighbor who's absolutely lovely car has seen more washes than miles. :p

Associate
It’s been proven time and time again that ‘vote with your wallet’, ‘boycott’ etc barely makes a difference, in other words, it doesn’t work. It’s always a vocal minority that bothers with these things. From games to electronics to companies doing questionable things... nothing changes. If you can convince everyone? Sure. Gl with that, cant even convince people to wear masks during the pandemic cause deep state, bill gheitz, muh freedomz and other stupid crap. So if they dont care when their life is at stake, what makes you think you can convince everyone to ‘boycott/vote with their wallet’?

Most people dont even read/post on forums. They just buy and enjoy or.. don’t buy.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Hear hear. :)

One thing you need to bear in mind though, is the status symbol aspect; some people actually like to pay over the odds for a particular product because it makes them feel they have access to something that others haven't, an exclusivity complex so to speak.

That's why you get people buying £60k cars when they commute by train and spend most weekends on the lash. I have a neighbor who's absolutely lovely car has seen more washes than miles. :p

That is the thing - personally I don't care if the top end ti cards cost an arm and a leg or a Titan a kidney, in fact if I have a need for the performance I'll pay for it, it is the product stack below that I find distasteful - especially when cards badged with higher tier models are sporting hardware which would have been distinctly mid-range in days gone by.

If I'm going AMD then I need to know the drivers are stable. I'm not concerned about noise or heat, but the drivers are the main concern in addition to Freesync functionality. They don't need to best Nvidia's flagship either, I'll be happy with 1080ti + 50% performance so long as the price is right.

You mention card failures, weren't there issues with Nvidia 2000 series cards overheating and actually going on fire?

As you say, this will take time to assess, and with the console details likely to be later then it might be December before a proper informed decision can be made.

Black screen problems on AMD (not sure if this has been 100% proven to be purely a driver issue or if there are some black screen instances happening at a hardware level).
Space invader corruption / faulty VRAM on Nvidia (Hynix mostly).

Think I read about a PCB burning out a resistor on 2080ti, but that was probably a isolated case.

But yeah the RDNA2's cards will have to be proven to be game stable or that's going to be a show stopper for me, nothing annoys me more than instability / random crash outs.
I hope the reviewers cover that particular area in detail (like they should).

Soldato
People are already "voting with their wallets". The Titan RTX is faster than the 2080ti but it seems even e-ballers care about how much performance they get for their money at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom