Built in double electric oven

Soldato
Need to replace the one we have, its an "eye level" built in oven, or the 88cm height ones. I am pretty sure the width and depth dimensions are pretty standard.

The one we have is 15 years old and the top oven isnt working properly, it isnt heating like it should, it only gets up to about 110c after a good 20 minutes, where as before it'd hit about 200c in about 15 minutes. The termostat is fine I tested that using a separate oven thermometer I have. I suspect there are 2 elements in the top oven, one of which isnt working, so its only putting out 50% of the heat. I probably could fix it, but unlike the bottom oven it isnt quite as simple and removing the backplate and swapping out the element, and 50% lazyness 50% well this is a 15 year old oven I think I might just get a new one.

So.......

Any brands to avoid, any recommendations?

I did think about the pyrothingy cleaning, but seems to be a lot more cost, and honestly, its an oven, and I'd like to keep the cost down, and the mrs cleans it not me anyway :D But, I do want to avoid anything really cheap and nasty that wont last.

Soldato
Conventional ovens do use two elements as you suggested, a base element and usually the outer part of the grill element.
I suspect the base element has failed, try turning it on and carefully touch grill element to see if its getting hot, if it is try feeling the bottom of the oven to see if its getting warm takes a while.
Changing elements is a doddle if your remotely handy, what make is it?

Soldato
OP
Hotpoint BD32, the grill element at the top of top oven definitely is working, I suspect there is also one at the base of the top oven, but I don't think it can be accessed without taking the whole oven out.

Soldato
Yeah there will be one at the base, not worked on hotpoints so don't know how they do theirs, but generally not difficult, if it was dedetrich I'd say run away

Soldato
OP
Hi again,

You were correct, the element was in teh base of the top oven, accessed from the side. Fortunately the oven has quite a long mains power lead so was able to take it out and rest in on a bench without having to disconnect it (yes yes it was isolted at 2 separate points safety first lol) - the part you linked is correct I found one on ebay for £15 delivered on Monday. You can clearly see the element has blown.

IMG-20200814-142956.jpg

IMG-20200814-143005.jpg

Back
Top Bottom