Road Cycling

Soldato
Which one? Near the start or halfway?

The bit we go straight across the wrong side we usually go round properly but with the rain they obviously decided it was safer.

It's only for a bunch of houses so it's usually dead.

The roundabouts near the finish on the other hand, so many people pulling out infront of cars and getting a gap on the bunch. Idiots.

Soldato
Out on the road twice this week, get back into those hill reps. Easier today as a few degrees cooler than Tuesday which was toasty.

Main one for me compared to the turbo is the lower back packing in due to lack of training. More aggressive position, and push through using the back and core more than the legs. Start to feel it and have to stretch every now and again.

Last edited:
Soldato
Strava removed max power and NP from being shown to free users now!

Just noticed on my rides this morning. Can pull the data off the Garmin before uploading so it’s not a big deal to me.

Soldato
Strava removed max power and NP from being shown to free users now!

Just noticed on my rides this morning. Can pull the data off the Garmin before uploading so it’s not a big deal to me.

Have you already got Elevate (formerly Stravistix) plugin for Strava installed?

Will https://power-meter.cc/home (free, but new subscription Pro now available) give you that info from a free Strava account?

What about http://www.crickles.org/ (another freebie that also does LTHR estimates)?

Soldato
https://www.wattsboard.com/ is worth a shout too for those as an easy glance if you want them.

The list of rides bit (sync's everything from Strava) in there has the following showing in a list next to all of your rides:
'STRESS INTENSITY WEIGHTED POWER FTP ELAPSED TIME DISTANCE'

The 'free' account only shows a rolling 6 months of data, so you don't really get a loss of features like most of the others by not paying for a sub...

Elevate kept killing my Chrome's (lots of tabs, on average/poor spec PC's) and Crickles just kept breaking/logging me out of Strava/bugging and needing authorising again (+again). One of the reasons I've kinda continued with Strava Summit. Its not complicated, but has enough data to keep me hooked... But also not too much to confuse a simple soul like me! :D

EDIT: https://youtu.be/38XmKNcgjSU?t=39 handling skills :eek:

EDIT2: https://cyclingtips.com/2020/08/the...inks-its-a-carbon-aero-bike-bossis-strada-ss/ looks like Ti could be on the cards for many of us once they start to look like this! Just hope it performs and rides as well as it looks... Diverge replacement ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
Interesting ride this morning...

9of7tTVh.jpg

IiGtmvPh.jpg

VJ1F77Xh.jpg

Someone, rather amusingly, came off in the deeper puddle in the second picture. I'd just put my phone back away though! He was fine as it was low speed, but was rather wet...

Still, we a fun 50+ mile at quite a slow pace (Ave HR was only about 119)

Soldato
That's a lot of water! Heard on the radio Hertfordshire are getting hammered with rain and flooding.

We had a nice day shorts and short sleeve. Pace wise it was that niggly pace that's not easy but not pushing on.

I came from the back of the group and smashed a climb in the big ring. Thought I'd overcooked it as it goes up more after a turn. Another segment in down and up so did the same from the back. Three Koms for my pain.

Coffee, cake and a can of coke too so perfect day out.

Last edited:
Soldato
Weather didn’t know what it wanted to do, I wasn’t sure if there would be puddles so I took the winter bike!!!! Guaranteed not to rain then, doubled down with a waterproof gilet in my pocket.

The bike feels so heavy just wheeling it out the shed!

Need a little adjustment on the front left shifter position and the TRP front brake adjuster has seized when I came to wind the pads in; these are **** compared to Sram/Shimano, not sure how something so simple was done to a meh standard. Very occasional creak which could be anything, chainring bolts or something, I’ve been riding it on the turbo but haven’t heard over fan/headphones.

Apart from the little niggles it rides really sweet and the shifting is bang on. Over bumps and corrugations carries a bit more harshness and bounces you more despite the carbon fork and more road noise through the handlebars. It feels a little more lively steering wise than my R5.

I’d be interested to have ridden a lighter/race one with no guards and carbon rims, bet it would be pretty good. I think the extra weight and lack of aero sap the initial snap out of the bike more than the material.

Soldato
Need a little adjustment on the front left shifter position and the TRP front brake adjuster has seized when I came to wind the pads in; these are **** compared to Sram/Shimano, not sure how something so simple was done to a meh standard. Very occasional creak which could be anything, chainring bolts or something, I’ve been riding it on the turbo but haven’t heard over fan/headphones.
Are they Spyres?

I've got Spyres on one bike. Not ridden it much but honestly not overly impressed and people say they are the best mechanical available.

Soldato
TRP 957, supposedly one of the best long drop callipers you can buy. It was a toss up between those or Velo Orange with some people saying they were the same...

Shimano make some at half the price (451), with some reviews saying they are just as good, others saying the opposite. I didn’t want to spend £50 to find out they were crap and then have to spend £100 on the 957s.

No complaints about how they work, just the adjuster is a bit second rate imo. I just set the pad throw by adjusting the cable, but it makes it awkward removing the wheel if you can’t wind it out a bit more. I’ll free it up tomorrow hopefully and then get it sorted, some anti seize on the threads and head. they’ve just been difficult to adjust from day 1.

Soldato
I had a bit of an epic day out yesterday. The Hope House Children's hospice usually have a good sportive in August (they put on a big spread of post-ride sandwiches and cake :D) but that got cancelled for obvious reasons. I enjoy the Llangynog climb on to the moors as it's not silly steep, so I decided to ride the route from home.

e65ptMzl.png.jpg

Lots of rain, though no big standing water like @AndyCr15 found and I got to ride the last 50k or so without my jacket on. I made a late decision on Saturday to re-lube the chain with Finish Line Ceramic wet (normally Muc-Off C3 dry) and even with that I was getting some squeaking by the time I got home. I'm even more of a Shakedry jacket fan-boy now. Had it on (half unzipped) going up both big climbs of the day and didn't boil.

Spoiler as it has my hairy legs in it:

Took me an age in the shower trying to scrub the filth off, shower gel did nothing to remove it!

I was trundling up the Llangynog climb (about 90km in) and couldn't figure out why some spray from my front tyre was going away from the tyre at a 45deg angle, rather than the usual up and back towards you. Then I realised it was sealant squirting out :rolleyes: It seemed to take an age to seal, then would open again with more sealant bubbling but eventually did close up properly without needing a repair or pumping. I'd pumped up to 75psi on Saturday night - a quick check when I got home had the pressure at something like 35psi which surprised me. I would have expected the front end to be really squidy with horrible steering at such a low PSI but I did 100km or more at that pressure, so educational on what you can ride tubeless at. I'll need to top-up the sealant now and have a look to see if I can spot what cut the tyre (if it's still embedded).

At the top of Bwlch y Groes, aka Hellfire Pass (the "official" 100 Climbs route comes up the other way though)

vQOURKRl.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom