Pets

Soldato
So the kids would like a pet, and we've ruled out dogs and cats as we're not in enough (although I did you with the idea of getting ala puma to solve the cat shot problem 8n our garden:D). The kids are 6 and 4, what's the usual go to for kids that age, hamsters and guinea pigs? They'd like a tortoise but not sure if they'll find it a bit boring, thoughts? I realise tortiises have a bit more specific requirements than a hamster but they don't seem overly hard to look after, might even train one as a mobile beer mat:p.

Soldato
I wouldn't get a hamster. As much as they are cute etc they don't live long and sometimes they can die in such horrible ways. (My sister had one who got a brain tumour, i had one who fell in her cage and cut her leg, another had a stroke and then a seizure :( )
I think given the age of your children it would be too upsetting.

A guinea pig is probably the better option as they live much longer, easier to handle and they get very excited when you bring them food :D or at least mine did lol. You can also give them baths :D
I think they are better in pairs though from what I recall so you would need a decent space for their cage particularly if you decide to have them indoors.

A couple of fun facts for you, guinea pigs are the only rodents apparently to be able to see in colour. They also like to eat their own poop :o something about getting the rest of the nutrients that their body might not have absorbed the first time around.

Cat's need minimal looking after compared to dogs and are more cute. How about getting a homeless person? They can be sort of house trained and can be made to dance for treats. As long as you don't mind the smell of urine and alcohol and the constant swearing, they can be highly entertaining.

Soldato
Depends where you live but if you could have a cat flap there'd be no problem having a cat if you both work.

Not a good idea to get kittens or a very young cat but a rescue a couple of years old would be fine with that.

Soldato
Komodo dragons are awesome to take for walkies in public.
Hippos make great guard-pets.
Failing that, a Pushmi-pullyu is always barrel of laughs!

I wouldn't get a hamster. As much as they are cute etc they don't live long and sometimes they can die in such horrible ways.
^This.
One of ours got a blockage and we found it staggering round the cage with 3" of prolapsed intestine hanging out its backside. That needed putting down.

Soldato
Maybe a cat. Kids do not tend to look after things properly so don't get fish or anything exotic :/

Don't get goldfish unless you have a large tank or pond. They smell and don't live long in a small tank unless you clean it out constantly.

Last edited:
Soldato
3+ guinea pigs, as they are very social. Typical life 4-8 years. Give them an approx 6x6 foot run indoors in a room you all use a lot and they become far more fun than sticking them in a garden cage, but by all means provide them with a safe outdoor run to mow your grass during the summer months.

Hamsters can be fun, but their 2-2.5 year lifespan seems to go by in a flash.

Fish can be entertaining, but more complicated than above. Responsibly "fishless cycling" a new setup for ~7 weeks; choosing fish same water chemistry requirements; knowing whish are social and really need 6+ groups; not overfilling tank (especially early on); which fish are territorial; which are predatory etc. Some have a normal lifespan of ~12 months, while others can easily live 30+ years.

Permabanned
We got some fish a few years ago, 4 of them, 3 died, kids lost interest pretty quickly, I have to clean it all the time as no bugger else bothers, now I am just waiting for the last **** to die so I can bin the tank off.

tldr; dont get fish they are rubbish.

Capodecina
Soldato
We got some fish a few years ago, 4 of them, 3 died, kids lost interest pretty quickly, I have to clean it all the time as no bugger else bothers, now I am just waiting for the last **** to die so I can bin the tank off.

tldr; dont get fish they are rubbish.

To be honest I think fish are one of the worst things you can get kids.

I had them myself when I was a kid, I didn't realise how much work they were, changing the water, cleaning the tank. Got bored, they died. I don't think they had very nice lives.

A colleague at work got some goldfish for her kid. Kid got bored very quickly, fish died.

My wife has tropical fish and even though she loves them, she's been through a lot of deaths and stress with them dying for reasons unknown, unidentifiable diseases etc. One of the worst things was coming to the tank one afternoon and the three shrimps had been torn apart by something, each snapped in half. We never found out what it was, it was brutal. The fish are beautiful but I don't know if their attractiveness outweighs the issues experienced at the end of the day.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom