Horizon Zero Dawn

V F

V F

Soldato
Finished the main story. Few games have gripped me that much. Absolutely brilliant. The story, the telling of it, the soundtrack, the characters, the machines. Only a few crashes, performance was great throughout after the starting area. One of my favourite games of all time.

Which was your favourite encounter?
Mine had to have been the part to the build up to and the arena. Felt like something from Gladiator.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Which was your favourite encounter?
Mine had to have been the part to the build up to and the arena. Felt like something from Gladiator.

I think I agree, it was an epic build up and a surprise at the end of the fight too.

Favourite story moments were discovering about the faro robots and then what zero dawn actually was.

Oh, and encountering a thunderjaw for the first time and then fighting a thunderjaw every time after. Especially the ‘special one’.

@CaptainRAVE Horizon or Death Stranding if you had to pick one?

Oh dear lord, good question. I’ve been trying to decide for the last few days. Both are masterpieces in my opinion in their own right. Death stranding has much greater extremes in terms of tension and then boredom and the story is a bit too drawn out and is much more ‘out there’. If they can sort the performance issues of zero dawn then it would get my vote. I’m slightly biased because it is much closer to what I enjoy in a game too - I love the blend of primal and sci-fi, it’s partly why I like the AC games.

Soldato
Patch 1.01 is out :

KNOWN ISSUES

• Some players are experiencing startup crashes. Patch 1.01 fixes a few, but not all, of these crashes.
  • Some players are experiencing GPU-related hangs during gameplay. The improved diagnostic data collection added in Patch 1.01 is aimed at making it easier to track these down.
  • Some players are experiencing graphical settings issues, such as Anisotropic Filtering not working, 4K not displaying correctly, or HDR not working correctly.
  • Some players are experiencing performance issues on specific GPUs or hardware combinations.

PATCH NOTES
Crash/Hang Fixes:
  • Fixed an issue where the game would crash if the SteamUI didn’t initialize properly on startup.

Functionality Issue Fixes:
  • Fixed an issue where Concentration and other slowdown mechanics wouldn’t work for everyone.
  • Fixed an issue where Windows/Steam profile names containing special characters would prevent some players from saving the game. We are still investigating other saved game issues as well.
  • Fixed an issue where Windows/Steam profile names containing special characters would prevent some players from saving screenshots in Photo Mode.

Other Fixes:
  • Added improved diagnostic data collection when submitting a crash report.
  • Fixed several backend issues.
  • Fixed a video corruption issue for specific hardware. We’re continuing to look at other hardware configurations as well.

Man of Honour
Patch 1.01 is out :

KNOWN ISSUES

• Some players are experiencing startup crashes. Patch 1.01 fixes a few, but not all, of these crashes.
  • Some players are experiencing GPU-related hangs during gameplay. The improved diagnostic data collection added in Patch 1.01 is aimed at making it easier to track these down.
  • Some players are experiencing graphical settings issues, such as Anisotropic Filtering not working, 4K not displaying correctly, or HDR not working correctly.
  • Some players are experiencing performance issues on specific GPUs or hardware combinations.

PATCH NOTES
Crash/Hang Fixes:
  • Fixed an issue where the game would crash if the SteamUI didn’t initialize properly on startup.

Functionality Issue Fixes:
  • Fixed an issue where Concentration and other slowdown mechanics wouldn’t work for everyone.
  • Fixed an issue where Windows/Steam profile names containing special characters would prevent some players from saving the game. We are still investigating other saved game issues as well.
  • Fixed an issue where Windows/Steam profile names containing special characters would prevent some players from saving screenshots in Photo Mode.

Other Fixes:
  • Added improved diagnostic data collection when submitting a crash report.
  • Fixed several backend issues.
  • Fixed a video corruption issue for specific hardware. We’re continuing to look at other hardware configurations as well.

Looks like this has screwed some peoples saves. Uh oh.

Soldato
For me anyway, saving & loading in v1.01 seems to work ok. Both quick save & manual.

Although I seem to be one of the luckier ones with just 2 crashes in the first few hours, and over 20+ hours of gameplay since with one other crash when quitting the game.

Wonder why Sony didn't delay the release for 4 weeks?

Surely the playtesters / QA / Guerrilla must have seen it wasn't quite ready for prime-time.

Man of Honour
I've enjoyed the game, particularly the story and the gameworld, if I was to critique anything on it, it would be the combat/parkour which I feel is showing its age. I found the combat to be clunky compared to the recent AC games and the parkour very limiting (I cant climb over a 5 ft wall because.....reasons). I often found that when I died it was more down to the movement/clunky combat than an issue of skill. If they could do this story/lore and gameworld, within the AC game engine, it would be fantastic but as it stands currently I would say that AC Origins and Odyssey are better games for gameplay mechanics.

Soldato
Never had any real issues from Day one. Yes it wasn't perfect but no crashes and no stuttering to speak of. Will play weekend and see what the patch offers

Man of Honour
I've enjoyed the game, particularly the story and the gameworld, if I was to critique anything on it, it would be the combat/parkour which I feel is showing its age. I found the combat to be clunky compared to the recent AC games and the parkour very limiting (I cant climb over a 5 ft wall because.....reasons). I often found that when I died it was more down to the movement/clunky combat than an issue of skill. If they could do this story/lore and gameworld, within the AC game engine, it would be fantastic but as it stands currently I would say that AC Origins and Odyssey are better games for gameplay mechanics.

Agreed, the movement is horrific. It does show how well AC games do it. For story (and delivery) it blows the AC games to bits, but then we’ve had a lot of AC games now.

I’ve just started the DLC having finished the game and it’s delivering so far.

Man of Honour
Agreed, the movement is horrific. It does show how well AC games do it. For story (and delivery) it blows the AC games to bits, but then we’ve had a lot of AC games now.

I’ve just started the DLC having finished the game and it’s delivering so far.

Agreed, the highlight is definitely the story, its delivery and the gameworld created. Also a big nod to the voice acting which I felt was much better than the VA in AC.

Back
Top Bottom