• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Associate
Like Intel Nvidia's high price structure is baked in, they have been doing it so long now its become a part of their revenue and margin growth structure, investors expect to see that growth to continue, its why the share value is so high, like a Ponzi Scheme, people throw money at Nvidia because Nvidia is constantly growing, the more they grow the more money investors throw at them.

All it takes is for Nvidia to have a couple of quarters where they stop growing or contract and people get nervous enough to start pulling their money out, that starts an implosion cascade.

Nvidia have to keep the cycle of growth going and that means increasing the amount of money they get from you again.
AMD are in the same position with CPUs - XT release.

Caporegime
Anyway, all these price rumours and performance increases has done nothing but confirm my opinion that these 3xxx cards are really only a sensible upgrade if you're running a 10xx series, or older, GPU.

Anyone running a GPU at the 2070 level or upwards should really skip them and wait for the 4xxx cards in couple of years. Only the dedicated enthusiasts, who simply have to have the latest & greatest, should consider an upgrade each and every generation...
Your opinion has been "confirmed" based only on as yet unverified rumours? :confused:

Caporegime
but confirm my opinion that these 3xxx cards are really only a sensible upgrade if you're running a 10xx series

Tbf there's an argument on a price/perf basis that 10** owners could even hold on til 2022 before upgrading, if they're happy with what they're currently getting of course. But upcoming games like CP2077 are gonna be *very* harsh on everything I think and rival the original Crysis in regards to that.

My advice, just make your current card last for as long as you possibly can!! And get saving :D

Soldato
If not for some features that it lacks I'd have been content with my V64 tbh. That being said, look at <=$500 options, it's not bad at all. It's just the high-end that's gonna be stupidly expensive.

A 2080 super equivalent for under $449? Not bad considering. And if they bundle 2 nice games with it as well, heck, I'd say great.

Ee9UnMqUMAEP5X1

Soldato
But upcoming games like CP2077 are gonna be *very* harsh on everything I think and rival the original Crysis in regards to that.

I wouldn't worry about Cyberpunk 2077 until 2022 anyway, with games as big and as complex as that, waiting for the GOTY edition with 18mths worth of game fixing patches is the way to go :p

..Its why I never played The Witcher 3 until 2018.

Soldato
If not for some features that it lacks I'd have been content with my V64 tbh. That being said, look at <=$500 options, it's not bad at all. It's just the high-end that's gonna be stupidly expensive.

A 2080 super equivalent for under $449? Not bad considering. And if they bundle 2 nice games with it as well, heck, I'd say great.
And why not get an xbox series x for the same money similar performance plus it comes with everything else including a very fast ssd and cpu. They need to release a console destroying gpu for $500 which means 3080 performance levels or they are in for a rude awakening.

Associate
No i'm serious, why should AMD be the one expected to combat Nvidia's pricing structure?
I'm not actually saying they should. If they start a price war, they know they'll ultimately lose. Nvidia would lose as well ( money, profits, share price), so I think AMD will position their cards accordingly.
Suits both corporations and shareholders alike.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Nvidia will do both. What people don't understand is by jacking up the price at the top end,it pushes up the entire range. People always moan about consoles holding back PC gaming,but you just have to look at Steam,and realise most gamers seem to buy according to price. So what happens at entry level and mainstream pricing points,performance increases are going all wonky.They are the silent majority of gamers. It used to be a mainstream GPU was almost the previous generation high end GPU. Stuff such as the 6600GT and 8800GT.

I have been saying this also but it gets confused with "people should be allowed to spend what they want" on their toys. :)

Oh and this old chestnut:

Its AMD's fault for not having a faster card for $800.

:p

Associate
Yes, AMD can't do much with in reason if the customer keeps thinking the premium Nvidia charge is worth it, if you think it is that's fine, be that as it may don't complain.

By "You" i'm talking in generalities, not actually "You" :)

The higher AMD 'allow' Nvidia to keep their prices, the more it will make consumers consider the new consoles over buying overpriced PC graphics.

With AMD chips in both consoles, they won't be nearly as concerned by this as Nvidia. :p

Soldato

Ee9UnMqUMAEP5X1

I have been saying this also but it gets confused with "people should be allowed to spend what they want" on their toys. :)

Oh and this old chestnut:

:p

The issue is if the pricing is correct,ie,a RTX3080 is nearly £1000,where does that place the RTX3060 at then?? Nearly £500??

That is not great,as an RTX2070 Super can be had for around £450 now,and before the current problems was frequently at that price.

Looking at TPU,an RTX2080 Super is only 14% faster at qHD,and a RTX2080TI is only 30% faster at qHD. That is not a great generational improvement.

Last edited:

ljt

ljt

Soldato
I don't know about anybody else, but in the past I used to look forward to upgrading parts on my PC.

Now all the fun has been sucked out of it, and it's more dread of how much an upgrade is going to cost, and what the ridiculous price increase is going to be this time.

Back
Top Bottom