Poll: How many push-ups can you do consecutively?

How many push-ups can you do consecutively?

• 0 - 20

Votes: 87 35.7%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 60 24.6%
  • 31 - 40

Votes: 37 15.2%
  • 41 and beyond!

Votes: 60 24.6%

• Total voters
Man of Honour
Think the problem is I'm forgetting to breath properly when doing them - which is maybe part of why I'm hitting a wall suddenly.

Soldato
Brit mil tests are 1.5 mile run in under 9m30 and min 44 push ups in 2 minutes (although they do not need to be consecutive, the timer continues).

I can quite happily manage over that, full and correct, shoulders ahead of elbows, elbows ahead of hands and I haven't been to a gym in 10 years. Part of my daily exercise is 2 min plank, 20 push ups and 30 (3x10set) sit ups (each set is a slightly different sit up form).

The trick to a good high push up count is the "explosion" phase from the ground up, it makes them much easier.

Associate
I managed 5 the other night after seeing a friend post the 25 challenge videos made me curious. Could maybe have got a couple more.
I'm mid thirties, 6' and 110kg, not worked out at all for the last few months and was only getting started with it before that, carrying a lot of extra weight round the middle!

Soldato
I've decided to take up the 50 a day challenge, starting yesterday.

I think i've definitely got weaker as certain things seem to tire my arms out more than they used to! I'm just working in sets of 10 throughout the day. Although last night i did the 50 in around 5 minutes as i only decided around 10pm. Today even the first 10 gave me a little ache.

I've lost a bit of weight but i seem to have gone from solid fat moobs to jiggly half fat moobs with the same size!

Consigliere
OP
Good luck @Marvt74 !

You will definitely see changes in a few weeks. Keep an eye on your diet also so lots of protein and a calorie deficit for the moobs. :)

I take a progress pic every 3 weeks or so...quite motivational.

Soldato
Good call on the progress pics. I never took any when i started losing weight and it's only now that i look back at pictures from January and realise what i've lost.

I'm often in a calorie deficit. I run 30-40 miles a week so generally have a good level of fitness too. My issue is mainly body shape. My weight and belly are fine for me now, you can even see elements of muscle definition in my stomach. Fat for me hangs around love handles at the sides creating a muffin top and my moobs. I always say if i had a big belly it'd be better as then the moobs would be less noticable. I'm hoping that my doing these press ups i can stretch the skin around my chest which will then pull in my chest.

Soldato
A few years ago I got into the habit of doing pushups first thing after getting up and got to doing 35 a day fairly comfortably. I've tailed off a bit now, only doing it 2-3 times a week. I randomly went to 40 the other day, that last one was a killer, not sure I could have done many more!

So that 100 pushups sounds a good challenge :)

Soldato
I've never had any interest in being particularly muscly, but I've always tried to stay 'fit enough to function well', so I was always happy being able to do about 20 'real' press-ups in a row. But it seems that there's good reason to be aiming for more like 40 to minimise the chances of a cardiac 'event'.
https://twitter.com/DrMichaelMosley/status/1292860709391540224

I tend to cheat most of the time and do 45 degree press-ups on the back of a chair. I can do 40 of those 'ok', but I'm not entirely sure that counts. ;)

Consigliere
OP
Good call on the progress pics. I never took any when i started losing weight and it's only now that i look back at pictures from January and realise what i've lost.

I'm often in a calorie deficit. I run 30-40 miles a week so generally have a good level of fitness too. My issue is mainly body shape. My weight and belly are fine for me now, you can even see elements of muscle definition in my stomach. Fat for me hangs around love handles at the sides creating a muffin top and my moobs. I always say if i had a big belly it'd be better as then the moobs would be less noticable. I'm hoping that my doing these press ups i can stretch the skin around my chest which will then pull in my chest.

I am not as knowledgeable as others on here but I do my research/do know something...and my first thought is you are maybe doing too much cardio.

I would personally up the strength training to 4 days a week, add 1-2 sessions of HIT (loads on YouTube) and add incline treadmill walking as a low impact cardio.

Last edited:
Soldato
Probably.

Issues being i never really enjoy strength training, plus i enjoy running (that's the reason for doing a lot, not weight loss goals). My weight loss goals previously were to drop weight to ease inpacts on joints and to improve running performance and it's certainly helped.

If i never end up changing from where i am now i won't be overly bothered. It was more a case that this challenge was a good easy thing which would keep my attention (i'm looking at you resistance bands mounted to the wall which i've not used in ages)

Consigliere
OP
Mm to be honest, I didn't either. I had the whole "everyone else knows what they are doing mentality" but after watching some YouTube videos, trying things out and actually asking the people who work at the gym...yeah progress has been made.

See how you go with the push up challenge. There are quite a few out there so try different variations plus different forms...you'll definitely see a difference in your chest area. :)

Man of Honour
I've never had any interest in being particularly muscly, but I've always tried to stay 'fit enough to function well', so I was always happy being able to do about 20 'real' press-ups in a row. But it seems that there's good reason to be aiming for more like 40 to minimise the chances of a cardiac 'event'.
https://twitter.com/DrMichaelMosley/status/1292860709391540224

I tend to cheat most of the time and do 45 degree press-ups on the back of a chair. I can do 40 of those 'ok', but I'm not entirely sure that counts. ;)

Correlation is not causation.

That relationship is probably because people who are more active with a healthy lifestyle and eat better tend to be able to do more pushups.

Soldato
They're certainly getting easier again. I was shocked when i first re-started this.

Looking at my post from the start of this thread, i was getting to nearly 20 with the first 10 being easy. But on Friday i was struggling from around 8 onwards and failing to maintain form.

Saturday (Day 2) i really struggled with muscle aches, also noticeable when i was paddle boarding and feeling tiredness in my shoulders. Was struggling to do 5 in a row. The last 20 i did against the kitchen counter so cheating a little. I wanted to hit the 50 though in some way rther than just stop at 30. Probably didn't help i'd spent the day drinking at the beach and only started around 9pm.

Sunday was easier with the aches from Friday having subsided and then yesterday seemed very manageable. Today i'm planning on trying to increase either total reps and go beyond 50, or just try and increase the reps/set to 15.

Consigliere
OP
So i remembered this thread I started...32 last June and managed 67 a few weeks ago. Obviously a few pauses when i hit 45 but only a few seconds and didn't break my position. :)

What about you lot?

Back
Top Bottom