Kioxia EXCERIA PLUS 1TB M.2 SSD

Soldato
Hi

Just wanted to share my experiences with you. I recently purchased this drive, unfortunately not from OCUK as they were out of stock of the Toshiba Kioxia RD500 so I had to purchase the Kioxia Exeria Plus elsewhere. Same drive basically.

What a great Gen 3 drive for £162!
https://personal.kioxia.com/en-emea/ssd/exceria-plus-nvme-ssd.html

Kioxia-Exceria-SSD.jpg

• Size: 1TB
  • Read: 3,400MB/s
  • Write: 3,200MB/s
  • Read IOPS: 680k
  • Write IOPS: 620k
I was interested in this drive as it seemed to have things that most of the others didn't (or that I'm not aware of):
  • NVMe™ 1.3c technology
  • BiCS FLASH™
  • 96-Layer 3D NAND
  • 8-channel controller
And of course a 5 year warranty.

So I did have a Corsair MP510 480GB M.2 and in comparison my PC seems even snappier than before. The MP510:
  • Size: 480GB
  • Read: 3,400MB/s
  • Write: 2,000MB/s
  • Read IOPS: 360k
  • Write IOPS: 440k
I also managed to do a quick comparison using DiskMark:

MP510
DiskMark.jpg

Exceria Plus
Exceria-Plus.jpg

Seems to hit the advertised Read/Write speeds. And the write speeds and random 4K speeds seem a lot better. Guru3D did a review of the 2TB model.

Thanks for reading. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Nice mini review.

Why don't you put the advatise read/write speeds, etc for the mp 510

Larger drives tend to be slightly faster than there smaller counterparts.

Thanks. :) I've added those speeds, good idea.

That's a good point and was a mistake I made grabbing the 480GB MP510. I was just going off what space I needed, and for an OS drive I was thinking it was more than enough. I hadn't realised the higher capacities had better performance, so this time around I made sure I went for the higher size.

Hopefully people appreciate the little review on a different make / model that perhaps ordinarily they wouldn't consider.

Soldato
OP
Wow. A lot of sarcastic responses. I don't need a Gen 4 drive and I don't have a Gen 4 board so why would I buy a Gen 4 drive. I was simply posting about my experience going from the MP510 to the Kioxia Exceria Plus. :confused: I'm not anywhere saying "you must buy this drive now". And £162 for a 1TB SSD is a good price... just compare it to the Samsung Evo Plus at £200 or the Pro at over £300. So yeah, it is a good price relative to other Gen 3 1TB drives available and the cheapest 1TB drive OCUK sell is £130. Why is £162 suddenly too much.

I had a look for the 1TB Sabrent Rocket. I can't see anywhere where it is "half the price"... Amazon shows it as £130. So it's £32 cheaper.

If you don't want to pay £162 for a 1TB Gen 3 drive then don't. That's your decision.

Please keep your useless responses to yourself.

Last edited:
Soldato
I see in your sig you have a 1TB MP510 listed.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cors...-state-drive-cssd-f960gbmp510b-hd-065-cs.html

So £162 is embarrassing for the Kioxia Gen3... but £158.99 for the 1TB MP510 isn't? :confused:

Prices obviously change duh lol. Current pandemic, inflation and Corsair's greed has hiked prices since. I paid £125 a year ago when I built my rig, it was the 'go to' NVMe drive at the time for price/performance ;)

That was the best you could get then, still not far off a bad deal now either by today's prices lol.

If I was buying now I'd of gone for the WD SN550 (didn't realease til Xmas/New Year), Sabrent Rocket or XPG SX8200 Pro. But I actually got the XPG 2TB for my 2nd drive earlier this year.

Edit: Yeah you clearly don't look far. Didn't see your first response, WD SN550 is £109.99, Crucial P1 is £104.99 (can be had for £95), XPG SX8200 Pro is £115 which is brilliant etc...

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/wd-b...-solid-state-drive-wds100t2b0c-hd-56l-wd.html

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cruc...-3.0-x4-nvme-solid-state-drive-hd-06q-cr.html

Last edited:
Soldato
Please keep your useless responses to yourself.

I don't want you to feel like I'm being unpleasant towards you, but I do find that £162 is an awful price for a Gen 3 drive. There will be ZERO perceivable differences for 99% of users between a considerably cheaper SN550 and a more expensive drive in gaming or almost any other task. Those that do benefit from extremely high speed drives are a niche, any extra 'snappiness' that may be felt is either placebo or the result of some sort of error you previously had with your hardware or software setup.

You can regularly find good NvME drives on OCUK for around £100 per TB, the aforementioned SN550 was that price not so long ago.

When the average user goes looking for information on hardware this is the sort of thread they might well come across, far too many people already pay through the nose for massively over priced/hyped Samsung drives that offer them no additional benefit over substantially cheaper options. There's no need for them to start doing the same for other brands.

Back
Top Bottom