Official Home Gym Building Thread

Caporegime
OP
Literally seeing the developments in the last few days and my post has become 'old news'

Still going to see if I can snag any reasonably priced gear though.

People having spent all that cash on home gear won't just sell it as soon as gyms re open.

They will hoard it just in case or continue to use it and realise its possibly a better solution for them.

People tend to hoard gym gear for years unused before they decide to sell it on. Especially if they forked out millions when prices rose.

Soldato
@Psycho Sonny there was genuinely a resurgence of for sale posts locally over the last few days, while the price hadn't dropped, there was a lot more posts of weight training items for sale. However, experience shows me that people around my area have a too much money and little sense though. The local gym facebook pages were full of folks ranting that they can only attend 1 class and 1 hour per day in the gyms.

Caporegime
OP
I sold majority of my stuff for funny money. I made a killing. More than what I paid for my car. I did have loads of stuff. I did create this thread after all. I doubt the people who bought a single set of dumbells off me at £240 a pop will be in a rush to sell them. I had over 20 sets too.

Soldato
FYI it looks like Mirafit have a limited number of racks back in stock - although in a cheeky move they have released them as if they are "new" products but are calling them "limited edition" and charging a bit more (not too much more but still think it's a bit unscrupulous, although supply & demand and all that I suppose)

Though now that I'm getting there with making space in the garage I'm starting to wonder whether I really need a full rack or whether I could make do with a half rack - space is going to be pretty tight in there; I probably have about 2.5mx2.5m to work with and with a 7ft bar being just over 2.0m wide I'm thinking saving on depth/space will make a big difference. Is a half rack really that limiting? My main requirement is really just that I have safeties of some description

Soldato
FWIW I wish I'd gone with a half rack so that I could standing OHP without having to move the bar everywhere - currently gotta move it outside the rack but not too far or I hit the shelves :/

Soldato
FWIW I wish I'd gone with a half rack so that I could standing OHP without having to move the bar everywhere - currently gotta move it outside the rack but not too far or I hit the shelves :/

Hmm, I guess I'm just wondering what exactly will I be missing out on if I don't go for a full rack? Front safeties seem functionally pretty similar to the box/pin safeties, though you can't have webbed safeties which do seem good... Are pull ups on a half rack an issue (is it wobbly)?

Of course in a garage as well the likelihood is having to put the rack quite close to the wall as well - is there a chance that makes it difficult as well e.g. doing presses inside a full rack, won't the bench need to be sticking out behind the rack a bit? (especially for incline/decline presses) which seems like it might be less of an issue on a half rack where the presses are all in front?

Man of Honour
Hmm, I guess I'm just wondering what exactly will I be missing out on if I don't go for a full rack? Front safeties seem functionally pretty similar to the box/pin safeties, though you can't have webbed safeties which do seem good... Are pull ups on a half rack an issue (is it wobbly)?

Of course in a garage as well the likelihood is having to put the rack quite close to the wall as well - is there a chance that makes it difficult as well e.g. doing presses inside a full rack, won't the bench need to be sticking out behind the rack a bit? (especially for incline/decline presses) which seems like it might be less of an issue on a half rack where the presses are all in front?

I have Bodymax CF470 half rack as I'm tight on space in a single garage. It works really well for the space and I've never felt it was a compromise. Pull ups are fine. It is solid. Can hear a few rattles of plates moving now and again but not concerning movement. You can bolt it to the floor if you want. I have used the catchers and they work well.

Soldato
Any decent wall mounted pull up bars that can be used outside?

I like the one Mirafit have as it allows a number of grips but says it's not suitable for outdoors. I will most likely be putting it inside the brick coal shed that has a roof over it but only has 3 walls so still be quite exposed to elements.

Soldato
Yeah, it will have a roof over it so won't be exposed to direct elements like rain so might just be ok to go with something like Mirafit thing.

Man of Honour
Night mode :)

Only things to do now
- buy two more 25kg plates when they are in stock
- insulate the dehumidifier pipe leading outside when the piping arrives
- add the heater and smart plug in the winter
- reinforce the roof cover as I have with the back panel
- add a final anchor to the concrete post on the back corner
- cross fingers for the winter :D

Last edited:

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Had this on back order for 4 weeks. A wall mounted, slim, high / low pulley for my home gym. I may get some 1"to 2"sleeves. The plates don't move around really so probably not needed.

DSCF8802.jpg

DSCF8800.jpg

Sold some bits, bought some bits. The old rack was OK, but it had a few issues. I didn't like the bar hooks and the entire thing was quite large with the plate storage. It meant I couldn't freely walk between/behind it as it effectively had sides. I also sold the bench, I have an Ironmaster Superbench Pro coming at the end of the month with the leg extension/curl. Carpet and blinds are planned and a dehumidifier for when we get into the colder months.

With having all the weight stored against one wall it has freed up everything from the sides meaning it's easy to move around and accessing weights is easier. I was going to put the 42.5s on the DB rack but I used them to place my feet on for seated rows :D

The rack is a beast. I plan to buy the dip bar for it.

DSCF8934.jpg

DSCF8935.jpg

DSCF8936.jpg

Back
Top Bottom