Official Home Gym Building Thread

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Just seen an update on the Ironmaster website, the pre-order I made on 28th July now due 22nd September, instead of end of August. Not sure I can go another 4-5 weeks on top without it. Damn.

Man of Honour
Which rack is that LiE? I see it's from Bulldog but which model?

https://www.bulldoggear.eu/collections/squat-racks/products/mlsr1-mammoth-lite-squat-rack-1

This one or the one with the pullup bar? I'll probably pick one of those up next year.

I'm leaving the dehumidifier on in my gym now. It switches itself off once it reaches a set humidity (which it does quickly), so my timer schedule option is now pointless. It does get quite humid in there when I workout currently, but I don't think the heat helps. Its had a good test with rain this week and its kept dry and there is no sign of rust on any equipment, so that's a relief.

Soldato
I'm still undecided exactly what to get (which isn't a problem given nowhere seems to have stock!)

But I've now got the far end of my garage totally cleared out and empty, and have been getting on with painting it (took a break this week due to the heat). As soon as that's done I'll order some flooring and mirrors and then will just need to buy equipment...

I basically have an area of about 2.5 x 2.5m to work with and in a truly ideal world I would like to have a rack + bench, some sort of pulldown/cable machine (I technically already have one but it's a bit bulky so will likely go at some point) and an exercise bike of some description. It's a bit pricey but I really like this pulldown, as it has a stack built in, it's quite compact and the pulley can adjust to any height:

https://wolverson-fitness.co.uk/col...roducts/bison-series-single-pulley-attachment

But for the rack I'm just not sure... a half rack like the one above... a full rack... or maybe one which folds against the wall

Man of Honour
I'm still undecided exactly what to get (which isn't a problem given nowhere seems to have stock!)

But I've now got the far end of my garage totally cleared out and empty, and have been getting on with painting it (took a break this week due to the heat). As soon as that's done I'll order some flooring and mirrors and then will just need to buy equipment...

I basically have an area of about 2.5 x 2.5m to work with and in a truly ideal world I would like to have a rack + bench, some sort of pulldown/cable machine (I technically already have one but it's a bit bulky so will likely go at some point) and an exercise bike of some description. It's a bit pricey but I really like this pulldown, as it has a stack built in, it's quite compact and the pulley can adjust to any height:

https://wolverson-fitness.co.uk/col...roducts/bison-series-single-pulley-attachment

But for the rack I'm just not sure... a half rack like the one above... a full rack... or maybe one which folds against the wall

I‘m working in a 3x2m area and can just about pull off a rack, bench and deadlift platform so it’s perfectly doable. I guess it’ll mainly depend on what is in stock. I’ve been really impressed with the bulldog equipment and they do every option, albeit slightly more pricey than some of the competition - that said, I have their most basic rack and it felt solid with 225kg on it today. Lots of my friends seem to have the mirafit racks.

Soldato
I think I'd try and pick up a second hand bench on FB Marketplace or something - seen a bunch on there lately

Had a quick pretend shop on Bulldog, wondering if I might contact them someway down the road and see if they offer any sort of discount/package type deals if you're buying a good chunk of stuff. Potentially I might want:

* Mammoth Lite wall mounted rack (short version)
* Front spotter arms
* Dip attachment
* Landmine attachment
* Adjustable bench 2.0
* The 120kg barbell + bumper package they do

All in I make that a little under £2k... I could make do with the lat pulldown I have for now and replace later... and pickup a spin bike or similar elsewhere. I'm kind of leaning towards the wall mounted rack because it works out cheaper, I feel like it will be a bit more stable (especially for pullups) than a free standing half/squat rack, and even if I don't often fold it up it takes up very little space compared to other solutions (being able to fold it up could come in handy on occasion; e.g. I need to temporarily store something large in the garage)

Man of Honour
Managing to keep my gazebo gym under 50% humidity with the dehumidifier coming on very little. It’s only a small 7L a day unit too. Better than I expected. Obviously spikes like crazy when it’s warm and I’ve got the front closed while I’m working out, but comes down quickly enough.

Associate
Has anyone used the adjustable dumbbells before? If so, are they any good?

I'm looking to get a bench and some dumbbells for the garage and have seen a couple of sets including the adjustable weights for around 900 quid. Would certainly help from a space perspective but don't want to get them if the adjustable ones are generally crap.

Would I be better off with a single bench and a few weights to begin with?

Soldato
Can anyone please recommend a bench for £100-150. I'm a noob who is wanting to start to build my own home gym in the garage. My first steps will be just a bench and dumbbells and then later I'll be buying a half rack and barbell etc.

I was about to order the mirafit m2 semi commercial bench but it's just sold out today :(

I'm currently looking at the powerhouse fitness xr5.9 bench as an alternative but I'm sceptical due to it being almost half the price of the mirafit. Does anyone have any experiences with these benches?

LiE

LiE

Caporegime

I'm looking to get a bench and some dumbbells for the garage and have seen a couple of sets including the adjustable weights for around 900 quid. Would certainly help from a space perspective but don't want to get them if the adjustable ones are generally crap.

I had adjustable dumbbells for a while and I would personally go for fixed DBs. You have the risk with adjustable of a moving mechanism that could break, fixed DBs won't break. Most of the cheaper adjustable DBs have some inherit flaws. 1) As the weight gets lighter the width of the DB stays the same 2) they don't have flat ends which are important for heavier weights that need resting on your thighs and kicking up. Some of these issues can be solved by going for an expensive set of DBs like the Nuo Flexbell (I owned these) but you can buy a nice range of fixed DBs for the same price.

Nuo Flexbell I had:

DSCF8484.jpg

What I replaced them with (there's a pair of 42.5s out of shot):

DSCF8935.jpg

Can anyone please recommend a bench for £100-150. I'm a noob who is wanting to start to build my own home gym in the garage. My first steps will be just a bench and dumbbells and then later I'll be buying a half rack and barbell etc.

I was about to order the mirafit m2 semi commercial bench but it's just sold out today :(

I'm currently looking at the powerhouse fitness xr5.9 bench as an alternative but I'm sceptical due to it being almost half the price of the mirafit. Does anyone have any experiences with these benches?

What's the budget?

The XR5.9 does look a bit anaemic.

Soldato
Do you need it soon, you could put yourself on the notification for stock on Mirafit. They get restocked quite often.

I'd rather have it sooner than later but I can wait if it means getting the best bench for my money. I've put myself on the notification list. Ideally, I'd like to have it 2 weeks time since I still need to sort the garage out. I understand that my budget won't get me the best bench in the world but I'd like something that will last a me a while so that I can concentrate getting all the other bits.

I take it mirafit offer some of the better lower end equipment?

Man of Honour

I have powerhouse fitness selectabells. Previous gen ones that go to 32.5kg. i think equivalent now is 36kg (and they look a bit improved too).

I get what LiE is saying re the shape being a little bit awkward for positioning on legs but only a little awkward. The space saving works for me in a relatively compact home gym. They still look new and have been used a lot and have had no issues with them. Have had them for 2 years come October.

I do have olympic bar and plates too and one thing I would say if you were trying to only use dumbells is that jumps can be a bit significant as you build up weights.

I would buy again.

Back
Top Bottom