• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Associate
Well,if AMD can make a decent range of GPUs upto the £500 mark,and together with Zen3,for a lot of entry level and mainstream gamers,it would be a good match.

The HD4000 and HD5000 series couldn't beat Nvidia,but ATI/AMD had much higher GPU sales share than today despite this.

Edit!!

Nvidia will win,as they will just make the biggest,meanest chip they can get away with. A 500MM2 chip is positively midrange by what Nvidia can make!! :p

You forgot to mention most expensive too. Everything so far points to the Ampere gaming cards being complex, with extreme power and cooling requirements, all of which costs money.

I know Nvidia won't be picking up the bill for all this additional cost, there's no chance of them cutting their margins, therefore us poor suckers will be left to carry the can in higher prices.

Soldato
You forgot to mention most expensive too. Everything so far points to the Ampere gaming cards being complex, with extreme power and cooling requirements, all of which costs money.

I know Nvidia won't be picking up the bill for all this additional cost, there's no chance of them cutting their margins, therefore us poor suckers will be left to carry the can in higher prices.

Well,I only really care under £500(especially under £300)!! :p

If this generation is OTT WRT to pricing,I can stick to running older games then.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Guys and gals, can we really take the pricing rumours seriously considering the PCB leak and memory rumours (12,22,24GB)?

The Micron website info should be reliable but of course it could be a red herring or an accidental upload.

Would a 2000 dollar card only have 12GB of vram?

Yeah Im at a loss why current cheap cards can get 6 or 8Gb which has been around a few years now, then the brand new 3070 has 8Gb still. I thought this was growing too in RAM size so maybe there plateau's a point where 8Gb is all you need?

Strange as the flagship cards are rocking 12-24Gb.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
People thought the same about Turing rumours. We got 40% more performance for the RTX2080TI for at least a 40% price increase. So what is an RTX3060 going to cost?? £500.

Let's see all the spineless reviewers wax lyrical at the RTX3060,then ignore the mainstream being pushed to what was enthusiast pricing during Maxwell.

I have zero faith in AMD too. During the HD4000 series,Nvidia tried this stunt with the GTX280,and ATI released the HD4870 which is only slightly slower,and caused Nvidia to crater prices.

They will just price it a bit lower,and say they are value.

Let's see how these companies start fairing when the recession actually starts to bite over the next two years. All this nonsensical pricing does is screwing entry level and mainstream gamers more and more. This is why a Ryzen 5 or Core i5 sells more than £300+ CPUs.

Yea, but that was a once off imo. They cannot just keep doing that. At worst price points will stay the same imo.

But it’s on a chart!!!! It’s science!
:D

Talk about charts, look at the one below. People will soon start quoting it as a fact. What a load of rubbish :p

jhORyqx.png

Plus AMD haven't done themselves any favours this past 12 months in regards to drivers!! (not as though nV are perfect in this regard either)

+1

They really dropped the ball with that one imo. They were doing great for a very long time before that.

At least it looks like new drivers have solved the issues as I do not see as many complaints online.

Soldato
Your logic is flawed because 4k PC gaming is a minority. Into the mix this time is the console releases and AMD. I doubt Nvidia will be scared of either. Plenty previous consoles have been released when new cards are abound and I dont remember conversations like "the performance isnt there so I`m buying a console" that ultimately made Nvidia drop prices. As long as they beat AMD that will be the point.

With being first Nvidia will set the prices high because at that point nothing can compete. Have seen in the past AMD come out to threaten Nvidia and they just then dropped their price to compete with AMD and still cleaned up, but that price is what it should have been released at. Nvidia hold all the cards.

Agree. Especially the underlined bit.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Yeah Im at a loss why current cheap cards can get 6 or 8Gb which has been around a few years now, then the brand new 3070 has 8Gb still. I thought this was growing too in RAM size so maybe there plateau's a point where 8Gb is all you need?

Everyone keeps saying the majority still play at 1080P. Guess the 3070 is aimed at them then.

Do you need more than 8Gb for 1080P?

Soldato
Yea, but that was a once off imo. They cannot just keep doing that. At worst price points will stay the same imo.

They have been doing it for a while though. Have you not noticed how a Titan was "only" around £900ish and now is breaking £2000,etc??

Everyone keeps saying the majority still play at 1080P. Guess the 3070 is aimed at them then.

Do you need more than 8Gb for 1080P?

A 70 series card is for 1080p? You can even get 4K monitors for under £300,and qHD are under £200.

Soldato
21Gbps GDDR6X? Oooooooooooooooffffffffffffffffffffffffff nice!

yeah what a beast, we have have hbm type bandwidth for much cheaper

Micron has answered your question in a technical document they published and then removed shortly after.

Micron GDDR6x operates in 8GB banks. Any card that use GDDR6x needs to be a multiple of 8GB. So Ampere cards will be 8GB or 16GB or even 24GB

What's happening here is that the top Ti product has always come with more RAM than the xx80 product to differentiate it.

So the RTX3060 etccprobably starts at 8GB

Then the 3080 has 16GB

But now they need to add more to make the 3090/3080ti stand out - they have to go right to 24GB

It's not that Nvidia wants to stick so much VRAM on the cards, it's a technical limitation of GDDR6x in its current form.

This also means that the new Titan will probably have 32GB

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
I can't see this continuing for long the price inflation can't go on for ever, I'll defo get a console instead at this rate.

100% agree. If these new cards are more than this generation I’m just going to get a PS5 instead and keep my current GPU. Fact. Nvidia are greedy company and they always will be. I very much doubt they will be competitively priced. When you think Nvidia you think greed. my high-end gpu’s days is at an end.

Soldato
Sadly, I might have to concede too @Simon Belmont . One of my die hard gaming mates from original wow days is a ps4 whore now. He will be already pre-ordering no doubt and wanting me to join him. If a shiny next gen thats gonna last years is under £500, and Jensens papping on with £1k+ high ends thats me out with only a smidge of hope left on what AMD will push out for that price point.

Soldato
Your logic is flawed because 4k PC gaming is a minority. Into the mix this time is the console releases and AMD. I doubt Nvidia will be scared of either. Plenty previous consoles have been released when new cards are abound and I dont remember conversations like "the performance isnt there so I`m buying a console" that ultimately made Nvidia drop prices. As long as they beat AMD that will be the point.

With being first Nvidia will set the prices high because at that point nothing can compete. Have seen in the past AMD come out to threaten Nvidia and they just then dropped their price to compete with AMD and still cleaned up, but that price is what it should have been released at. Nvidia hold all the cards.

These new consoles are promising 4k 30fps minimum for gaming (4k 60 in some situations). As you have rightly pointed out 4k gaming on PC is a minority, IMO because it is not affordable on PC.
By the end of this year (start of next) gamers will have the choice of buying a console and getting a 4k gaming experience for £1300 (including a TV that will more than likely be far superior to any monitor in the same price bracket) or buying a grapics card for £1300 (the rest of the system and monitor not included). The no brainer choice is to buy a console.

Yes there are some people who will only game on PC but that number isn't as large as people think. Consoles this time round are (at least in the next 3 years) a viable gaming alternative for many PC gamers. Nvidia can either slam dunk this or miss and eat dirt.

Soldato
Sadly, I might have to concede too @Simon Belmont . One of my die hard gaming mates from original wow days is a ps4 whore now. He will be already pre-ordering no doubt and wanting me to join him. If a shiny next gen thats gonna last years is under £500, and Jensens papping on with £1k+ high ends thats me out with only a smidge of hope left on what AMD will push out for that price point.

he must be in a different reality. These silly prices have to end. It’s been going on long enough he’s only so many times you can push and push and push. With this new console generation that’s upon us that’s very powerful I think to be honest at nvidia should be scared. Half the nation is broke they don’t have money for even food housing how the hell are they going to play their new GPU when they have no home. I’m absolutely going to laugh my ass off when the prices are revealed that will be the seal in the coffin for a lot of people I think. Jensen can pay for his own gpus by getting a job at McDonald’s:D

Soldato
This will be the generation that changes that I'd imagine.

people need to stop wanting the fastest hardware and decide when enough is enough

if a console is good enough, then go buy a ps5 and screw amd and Nvidias prices. That's the only way they will learn

If I was looking right now to build a new pc or get a console - screw the PC I'll spend that money on a PS5, Xbox Series X and a brand new 4K 120hz TV for the same price of just the PC

Back
Top Bottom