Porridge... during the lockdown I rediscovered it and now eat it almost every day.

Soldato
I like the Scots Old Fashioned, keep a good texture after cooking I like the oats to have bite.
Whole milk, and golden syrup or honey is all I have.

Soldato
It's a valid criticism against almond milk, but it's still better than cows milk from an environmental point of view. Minxy, try hazelnut if you like Almond. Though I find oat is the best (Oatly is the best, but the Aldi one is pretty good. Annoyingly, I'm not a fan of the Lidl one which is where I do my weekly shop.)

I’ll give the Hazelnut a try thanks. Someone gave me Oat Milk in a cup of tea and I couldn’t drink it. :D

Caporegime
I’ll give the Hazelnut a try thanks. Someone gave me Oat Milk in a cup of tea and I couldn’t drink it. :D

Coconut is great.

I make my own oat milk from time to time.
Use coconut for cereal and smoothies.
Hazelnut for hot chocolate.

Dairy is really bad for a lot of people. Something designed to turn a 20kg calf into a 600kg cow isn't really designed for humans.

In fact after the first few months / years it's more important children get vitamin d than large amounts of calcium.

I still have real cheese, butter and yogurt, ice cream too but not in large quantities or regularly. Dairy milk is a complete no.

It's a pity all other dairy substitutes are worse than dairy when it comes to cheese, butter, etc. Milk alternatives is the only healthy substitute.

Caporegime
OP
Almond milk may be healthy but it sure it not good for the environment in drought-stricken California, where more than 80% of the world's almonds are grown.
There is sadly very little food that is mass produced nowadays, at the scale that is required for our populations, that is good for the environment it is grown in. For me, nothing tastes as good or is as nutritious as cow milk and its an important part of my diet.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Yeah because drinking all that lovely extra oils and gums they slop into the various nut milks is also really good for you, Oatly have done a great job in psuedo science to suit their product its marketing 1 and 1.

Soldato
Yeah because drinking all that lovely extra oils and gums they slop into the various nut milks is also really good for you, Oatly have done a great job in psuedo science to suit their product its marketing 1 and 1.

Agree that a lot of it is BS, but having a baby with cows milk protein allergy meant that we were very grateful for all the different choices available.

Still use Sainsbury’s almond milk in the porridge as it gives a nice flavour. We use frozen summer fruits to add excitement (and a fancy purple colour if you squash the blackberries!).

Porridge is the only thing that keeps me even close to full until lunch.

Associate
I love porriidge and used to eat it every day until I realised it was that what was causing my really bad constipation.

Fibre's meant to have the opposite effect so dunno what was going on there but it definitely went away as soon as I knocked the porridge on the head

Caporegime
OP
I love porriidge and used to eat it every day until I realised it was that what was causing my really bad constipation.

Fibre's meant to have the opposite effect so dunno what was going on there but it definitely went away as soon as I knocked the porridge on the head
I had this once or twice and I think it's when you make the porridge so thick and dry that it goes like cement. Keep some liquid in it, or add some after, or it will not travel so well down your digestive system.

Associate
I had this once or twice and I think it's when you make the porridge so thick and dry that it goes like cement. Keep some liquid in it, or add some after, or it will not travel so well down your digestive system.
Hmmm that's very interesting. I did used to make it fairly thick (but not quite cement-like lol)

I may try it again a lot thinner sometime. Cheers for the advice

Caporegime
OP
Hmmm that's very interesting. I did used to make it fairly thick (but not quite cement-like lol)

I may try it again a lot thinner sometime. Cheers for the advice
It may not immediately look like cement, but the longer it is left in the bowl then the more it dries and thickens. If it already starts off too dry, then it could sometimes after a short time be used as brick mortar.

Associate
It may not immediately look like cement, but the longer it is left in the bowl then the more it dries and thickens. If it already starts off too dry, then it could sometimes after a short time be used as brick mortar.
With blueberries and peanut butter mixed in I used to find it very tasty so it tended to not stay in the bowl for too long :D

Caporegime

No point having fibre without water.

You need 3 litres of water per day. More if you are active. Electrolytes are essential too.

Caporegime
I drink 2-3 litres of water every day. It's all I drink

Dont know if I get enough Electrolytes though as I've no idea what they are :D

Then porridge shouldn't be causing you any issues. You might have an underlying issue if I had to guess it's probably lactose intolerance if you are making it with dairy milk.

But it could be anything.

Back
Top Bottom