• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
Moore's law is a bust and has been for years, it was only ever an approximation in the first place. It certainly doesn't inform manufacturing costs or entitle you to specific performance or price gains.

Tvs are a great example - technology keeps moving on, you do get more for your money over time. But nobody's demanding they should be able to have a 75 inch OLED for £200 by now, that LG are evil, or that people who buy them are stupid and harming the TV watching community by buying them.

Moore's law is actually speeding up for Nvidia. The popular 1080 Ti that everybody talks about was only a 50% transistor increase from Maxwell. Yet the 2080 Ti had a bigger increase of 55% more transistors which is ironic considering the hate.

780 Ti 7.1 billion transistors
980 Ti 8 billion transistors
1080 Ti 12 billion transistors
2080 Ti 18.6 billion transistors
3090 30-40 billion transistors

Last edited:
Soldato
Is this a serious post?

More of the forum "experts" who said the same thing about the first Titans being fine at £1000,as poor Nvidia had "higher costs". This was not reflected anyway in gross and net margins which have risen to record levels. Last year,they actually matched mining levels without any significant mining inflated sales and nearly 2/3 of revenue coming from gaming. Its the same as the Apple fans who defended Apple doing the same.

Yep, I'm very sad

:(

OTH,I hope at least the delay means the game is better for it.

Caporegime
More of the forum "experts" who said the same thing about the first Titans being fine at £1000,as poor Nvidia had "higher costs". This was not reflected anyway in gross and net margins which have risen to record levels. Last year,they actually matched mining levels without any significant mining inflated sales and nearly 2/3 of revenue coming from gaming. Its the same as the Apple fans who defended Apple doing the same.
I think a few people here have nVidia shares :)

Soldato
I think a few people here have nVidia shares :)

I think so. It wouldn't even matter so much,if it didn't go and interfere with entry level/mainstream markets. There is this weird thing with electronics,where the top end HAS to determine the lower end/midrange in terms of price and performance. A Veyron has no impact on how much a Passat costs!

Last edited:
Caporegime
I don't believe for one second that, from a mid-range that used to cost £150 (GTX 460 was an "epic" mid-range card back in the day), that the mainstream is now able and willing to cough up £400-£600 for nV's mid-range offering.

Doesn't matter, as long as they cover all price-points then people can take it or leave it, from nV or AMD. Not like they're going anywhere else in regards to PC gaming!! We can hope integrated gfx will just get better and better now for the budget 1080p crowd, which seems to be happening finally thankfully :)

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Tvs are a great example - technology keeps moving on, you do get more for your money over time. But nobody's demanding they should be able to have a 75 inch OLED for £200 by now, that LG are evil, or that people who buy them are stupid and harming the TV watching community by buying them.

Woah, woah, woah. That’s borderline common sense, that’s not allowed in this thread! :p

Caporegime
Doesn't matter, as long as they cover all price-points then people can take it or leave it, from nV or AMD. Not like they're going anywhere else in regards to PC gaming!! We can hope integrated gfx will just get better and better now for the budget 1080p crowd, which seems to be happening finally thankfully :)
It kind of does matter.

Many people will set themselves budgets. Sometimes just because they want to. And some of them keep to their budgets ;)

So, even if all price points are covered, if you can only upgrade by moving from £150 (last gen) to £300 (this gen), those with a budget of £150 simply won't upgrade.

They would only upgrade if they increased their budget or the next gen brought an upgrade to the £150 price point.

Saying "all bases are covered" doesn't mean that there is an attractive upgrade path.

And I don't for one second think people are going to accept increasing their budget every, single, generation. £150 -> £300 -> £500 -> £700 -> £1,500... that's Jensens wet dream but only a few people with either unlimited funds or severely limited self-control will tread that path :p

Soldato
It kind of does matter.

Many people will set themselves budgets. Sometimes just because they want to. And some of them keep to their budgets ;)

So, even if all price points are covered, if you can only upgrade by moving from £150 (last gen) to £300 (this gen), those with a budget of £150 simply won't upgrade.

They would only upgrade if they increased their budget or the next gen brought an upgrade to the £150 price point.

Saying "all bases are covered" doesn't mean that there is an attractive upgrade path.

And I don't for one second think people are going to accept increasing their budget every, single, generation. £150 -> £300 -> £500 -> £700 -> £1,500... that's Jensens wet dream but only a few people with either unlimited funds or severely limited self-control will tread that path :p

Exactly,but you forget this is a hardware enthusiasts forum,so its their drug and they need the fix(otherwise hardware withdrawal syndrome).

Soldato
Why do you think people will be willing to spend that much on a GPU alone when the new consoles will be an outstanding platform for 1080p gaming and a good enough platform for 4k gaming at $500?
It's all about that loyalty man. If jacket man intros the 3070 as a Founder's Edition at $699.99 he would still get a thunderous applause.
Now let's say its within 15% of a 2080ti. People will buy it with the mentality that it's last gen fastest card with current gen price hikes at a lower tier sku. People will still pay over $500 for last gen performance not understanding that next gen performance might be needed. IE: sandbox games using ray tracing, for example.

That's why I can still see people paying $700 for a 3070. I've read posts that if it comes close to 2080ti performance it's a steal! Not that I agree...

Soldato
It's all about that loyalty man. If jacket man intros the 3070 as a Founder's Edition at $699.99 he would still get a thunderous applause.
Now let's say its within 15% of a 2080ti. People will buy it with the mentality that it's last gen fastest card with current gen price hikes at a lower tier sku. People will still pay over $500 for last gen performance not understanding that next gen performance might be needed. IE: sandbox games using ray tracing, for example.

That's why I can still see people paying $700 for a 3070. I've read posts that if it comes close to 2080ti performance it's a steal! Not that I agree...

The sad thing is if Turing was a normal generation,the RTX2080 should have been close to RTX2080TI performance at its price(33% faster than a GTX1080TI at qHD). The GTX980TI to GTX1080TI transition was around 75% at qHD for example.

Soldato
The sad thing is if Turing was a normal generation,the RTX2080 should have been close to RTX2080TI performance at its price(33% faster than a GTX1080TI at qHD). The GTX980TI to GTX1080TI transition was around 75% at qHD for example.
That's why nvidia is so good at what they do. Sure you, I and a few others see it.
But somehow more value is added for all the negativity they see towards Radeon. So, $1000 for a 3080 is now reasonable to some. Because it's worth paying $1k for a card were they don't have to worry about AMD drivers (until they worry about nvidia drivers, lol). It's all perception in a bubble.

Soldato
That's why nvidia is so good at what they do. Sure you, I and a few others see it.
But somehow more value is added for all the negativity they see towards Radeon. So, $1000 for a 3080 is now reasonable to some. Because it's worth paying $1k for a card were they don't have to worry about AMD drivers (until they worry about nvidia drivers, lol). It's all perception in a bubble.

The main issue is the mainstream,which is being split into more and more different models,with the full fat models being pushed higher. Plus if you look at the relatively position of the mainstream,they used to be the 3rd/4th fastest GPUs. Currently,in the Turing line up,the RTX2060/RTX2060 Super are number 7 and 8 in the lineup. The GTX1660TI,GTX1660 Super and GTX1660 are 9th,10th and 11th. The 8800GT was no3/no4,GTX460 was no3,the GTX560TI,no3,etc.
The problem is that AMD also will feel tempted to put prices up a bit too. Because if they see a GTX3080 being $1000,then charging "only" $800 if they had a Big Navi GPU with similar performance,is 20% less.

Soldato
Or its nvidia marketing, seeing as its an nvidia pr guy doing the leaking if you read the entire thing

Yeah, given the lack of big navi leaks so far I'm unsure how this person can be so certain of it's place on the performance spectrum. Not many expect it to beat Nvidia's top card but the fact is it doesn't necessarily have to, if it reaches the 3080 (non ti) or whatever it get's named's level of performance and significantly undercuts it then it will sell big and so on down the chain. Personally I don't care who wins, just want to see it be a competition...in performance and price.

Soldato
Or its nvidia marketing, seeing as its an nvidia pr guy doing the leaking if you read the entire thing

Yeah, given the lack of big navi leaks so far I'm unsure how this person can be so certain of it's place on the performance spectrum. Not many expect it to beat Nvidia's top card but the fact is it doesn't necessarily have to, if it reaches the 3080 (non ti) or whatever it get's named's level of performance and significantly undercuts it then it will sell big and so on down the chain. Personally I don't care who wins, just want to see it be a competition...in performance and price.

Soldato
Time to feed the (rumour monger) beast:
https://twitter.com/Avery78/status/1294353708684206080
EfZ31fiUEAEIgtg
EfZ354kU4AAGEd6
EfZ4WFVU0AA_mt-
EfZ4cSDUEAAx2_n
EfZ4g-EUcAABsn6
EfZ4lIrVoAI2cnX

I'll leave this here.

So that's what the focus group is called now? Nvidia public relations officers??

Back
Top Bottom