• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Caporegime
I don't expect any normal and balanced adult to get genuinely angry over forum posts made by randoms they will never meet about subjects that in the end don't have any real significance or impact on our lives. If you do, then I'm sorry to hear it.
You sure do spend a lot of time here arguing vociferously about things you claim not to be all that bothered about.

Soldato
They're already doing it with clothes. It's a Tory rich dream, only the rich own anything everyone else has to lease everything from them, thereby preserving the wealth gap. If clothes, then next what, plates, pots and pans? Price people out of owning an oven and fridge? When they start insisting you lease the toilet is that when people will finally wake up and realise? It'll be too late by then, this BS needs nipping in the bud now but people are too simple and naive to see what is coming if they don't stand up and demand more of their elected representatives - and to not give in to the stores offering this "service" instead of just selling clothes at a sensible price to begin with. Same goes for graphics cards.
Alright... calm down Jeremy Corbyn.
FACT - Consumer goods have never been cheaper. That includes the clothes, plates, pot and pans you talk of. So don't talk BS and stop trying to make a political point. This is a Graphics card forum.

Associate
They're already doing it with clothes. It's a Tory rich dream, only the rich own anything everyone else has to lease everything from them, thereby preserving the wealth gap. If clothes, then next what, plates, pots and pans? Price people out of owning an oven and fridge? When they start insisting you lease the toilet is that when people will finally wake up and realise? It'll be too late by then, this BS needs nipping in the bud now but people are too simple and naive to see what is coming if they don't stand up and demand more of their elected representatives - and to not give in to the stores offering this "service" instead of just selling clothes at a sensible price to begin with. Same goes for graphics cards.

I agree with this, but what I am referring to is a specific programme from Nvidia or third party board manufactures offering finance. This would be a sign that even they realise the pricing has shifted to a new position akin to car leasing etc. It would say a lot.

Soldato
Alright... calm down Jeremy Corbyn.
FACT - Consumer goods have never been cheaper. That includes the clothes, plates, pot and pans you talk of. So don't talk BS and stop trying to make a political point. This is a Graphics card forum.
ooh goodie. sources please. And also comparisons of durability and life expectency of said items. And for the record I loathe Corbyn with a passion, but this really isn't the place for that. I was resonding to someone else's post about the likelihood of ending up leasing GPUs, so it is relevant to the thread. Get off your high horse.

Associate
I'm not sure, he must be fairly high up the hierarchy. I would imagine with the size of the business nowadays that there are a few heads of department and he's just one of them.

i though @Gibbo was something like Head of Purchasing? either way hes a sound bloke and hes always helpfull here on the forums and soon as he is allowed to say what the crack is he will im sure

so guys the rumours are that AiB cards will be on launch same as FE how do we feel about that? personally im wanting for the 3080ti Strix but if its more than 1.1k im out of luck because thast the max my budget will allow :(

Soldato
i though @Gibbo was something like Head of Purchasing? either way hes a sound bloke and hes always helpfull here on the forums and soon as he is allowed to say what the crack is he will im sure

so guys the rumours are that AiB cards will be on launch same as FE how do we feel about that? personally im wanting for the 3080ti Strix but if its more than 1.1k im out of luck because thast the max my budget will allow :(

holy cow?! I used to build whole systems for that. Mine is £300-350 and that's with several months saving gone into it. Time was you could game quite reasonably for a few years for a midrange card at just £150. Long gone are those days.

Soldato
I agree with this, but what I am referring to is a specific programme from Nvidia or third party board manufactures offering finance. This would be a sign that even they realise the pricing has shifted to a new position akin to car leasing etc. It would say a lot.
I thuoght they were trying to do a different route - push people onto an online service so they could get a subscription model going instead? Could that be a factor in their pricing strategy? price people out of owning their own performance and dependent on cloud hosted services instead. that way you can turn off the tap/ratchet the pricing at will.

Soldato
It's not correct, it's a flawed comparison, because it stands to reason that high-end performance moves down to lower tiers through the generations as progress is made, and it happens in many types of electronics. The direct and simplistic comparison of a 1080 Ti to a 3060 doesn't take into account the changes in architectural changes and improvements or new features, either.

You also don't need to flag my username like a little kid trying to get attention. :)

Until Nvidia stagnates for multiple generations back-to-back, Turing is the aberration.
https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/c...i_the_rtx_3080_has_about_20_increase/fyrfh3a/

For reference here is information about previous releases of Nvidia:

GTX 780 Ti - $699 - (7.11.2013)

GTX 980 - $550 (18.9.2014) - 7% faster than 780 Ti, $150 cheaper, 10 months after the release of 780 Ti

GTX 980 Ti - $650 (1.6.2015) - 30% faster than 780 Ti, $50 cheaper, 18 months after the release of 780 Ti

GTX 1080 - $600 launch (27.5.2016) , cut to $500 (1.3.2017) - 27% faster than 980 Ti, $150 cheaper, 12 months after the release of 980 Ti

GTX 1080 Ti - $700 (5.3.2017) - 43% faster than 980 Ti, $50 more expensive, 21 months after the release of 980 Ti

(EDIT: Anandtech puts 1080 Ti at +74% at 4K and +68% at 1440p over the 980 Ti)

RTX 2080 - $700 (20.9.2018) - 8% faster than 1080 Ti, same price, 18 months after the release of 1080 Ti

RTX 2080 Ti - $1000 (27.9.2018) - 29% faster than 1080 Ti, $300 more expensive, 18 months after the release of 1080 Ti

RTX 3080 - $??? (9.2020?) - 20% faster than 2080 Ti (?), unknown price, almost 24 months after the release of 2080 Ti

RTX 3080 Ti - $??? (9.2020?) - 35%-40% faster than 2080 Ti (?), unknown price, almost 24 months after the release of 2080 Ti

Performance figures are from techpowerup.com

Given the whole 2 years from Turing to Ampere, 20% is hardly impressive. Pricing will decide the fate of these cards. Also, the second time Nvidia left performance on the table by going with an inferior node, like with Turing.

Now, if Nvidia continue to pair massive price increases with tiny performance increases for a couple more generations, then Turing can be considered the start of a new stagnation "normal".

It's like people were born yesterday. (or at least the day after Turing luanched)

Associate
I'm still on a GTX460...

As someone who is on a 670, I do find these discussions around the performance increases on the last generation to be intriguing. I mean for all the money I haven't spent on the latest tech, and I'm sure you're the same here, there isn't a game I haven't been able to play, enjoy and admire the graphics yet. Sure, I could get faster framerates and some additional lighting effects, but it's pretty marginal.

That said, I'm highly likely to be upgrading the GPU soon, whether to the 3000 series or buying into an older generation on the cheap.

Soldato
I thuoght they were trying to do a different route - push people onto an online service so they could get a subscription model going instead? Could that be a factor in their pricing strategy? price people out of owning their own performance and dependent on cloud hosted services instead. that way you can turn off the tap/ratchet the pricing at will.
During the Turing JHH joked about renting GPUs IIRC.

Soldato
As someone who is on a 670, I do find these discussions around the performance increases on the last generation to be intriguing. I mean for all the money I haven't spent on the latest tech, and I'm sure you're the same here, there isn't a game I haven't been able to play, enjoy and admire the graphics yet. Sure, I could get faster framerates and some additional lighting effects, but it's pretty marginal.

That said, I'm highly likely to be upgrading the GPU soon, whether to the 3000 series or buying into an older generation on the cheap.
yup, for the most part, but then most of my games are very old now and single player/LAN only so I get away with it.

What I've always wondered about is the way serious gamers buy amazing cards, then the first thing they do is turn all the graphics settings to minimal for an in-game advantage. No grass? Easier to spot people trying to hide in it. etc etc. I remember playing quake with a friend back in the day and he had everything on simple icons for a few fps advantage. Looked awful but for him it was about the winning and that apparently made the difference.

Back
Top Bottom