Anyone know how to clean stained aluminium?

Soldato
I have a Noctua NH-D15 CPU cooler thats been sat on my desk for about a year and I thought it was about time i try and sell the thing. After inspecting it has various stains on it that are both light and dark in colour as well as chalky looking stains in between the fins. I'm wondering if might have spilled some liquid on it at some point without realising.

I did my best to photograph the thing. Pictures here.

I'd be grateful for any advice.

Thanks

Soldato
OP
Polish with Silvo (or Brasso if you can't easily get Silvo) - just ensure all the polish is removed, as can sometimes react with certain metals/compounds.

Thanks for the suggestion. My only concern would be how to make sure the polish is removed from in between the fins.

Soldato
Remove all electronic parts put in dish washer, was on hott at setting. Clean with Silvo (as stated above) then wash on hottest setting again with no soap/tablet.

Let it dry then Profit!

Caporegime
Vinegar.

I cleaned up my weights using vinegar and they came out like new after a scrub. They were cast iron though.

I dipped them in a bucket of vinegar. I bought 20 litres of the stuff off amazon I was selling weights for over £5k during the start of the pandemic worth £1k pre pandemic so I didn't care about the few quid on a massive amount of vinegar.

For a heatsink you should only need a litre or so.

I gave them a good scrub with a brush. Re dipped and repeated as necessary.

I found out about vinegar on YouTube so maybe type into YouTube best way to clean aluminium / copper and watch some videos.

Soldato
OP
My dad has a Dremel i could borrow, do you think that would be suitable for polishing a CPU cooler? I bought some Silvo to polish by hand but I would have thought a Dremel would be quicker, I just dont know what type of polishing wheel or compound to use with it.

Back
Top Bottom