Redundancy Qualification

Associate
Hi there, looking for some advice from you fine people.

I am being made redundant, I had my notice through today (5th August) that it is my final day of employment and I will be paid 1 months "notice in lieu", my contract stipulates 1 month notice.

I just wanted to know what my rights are when it comes to statutory redundancy pay, I started working for the company on 18th August 2018, so I am 2 weeks short of the 2 years qualifying period. Does paying my month in lieu mean I do not qualify for redundancy, or is my end of employment counted as the date of redundancy plus notice period?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Kind Regards, Keltyx.

Soldato
Hi there

I cannot offer any advice/info I’m afraid, but I wanted to take the time to say I’m sorry to hear - I can’t imagine how tough it is at the moment.

I hope you manage to find another role ASAP :)

Soldato
If your last day of employment is 5th then that's it, 2 weeks shy and no qualification for statutory. The pay in lieu is just that, it's paying you so you don't have to work or be employed by them during August and as said, your employment with them stops/stopped today unfortunately.

Associate
OP
If your last day of employment is 5th then that's it, 2 weeks shy and no qualification for statutory. The pay in lieu is just that, it's paying you so you don't have to work or be employed by them during August and as said, your employment with them stops/stopped today unfortunately.

After a bit of digging I was expecting this to be the case. Thanks for the responses!

Soldato
having been though redundancy myself and sat on the staff side of the redundancy board, companies can choice how generous they are but they often stick to the letter of the law.

We had a load of staff that was employeed by the company, but that department/branch got TUPE'd to another company before they moved back to the company, with one chap there was a 2 week gap as he worked his 4 weeks notice before moving. But they saw his employement from the date he started with that department.

We also had one guy who was like you, two weeks away from completing another year. I tried serveal menthods to help him, suggesting that he would take his two holiday starting from his last day of employement so that he would complete another year. Also suggest that the company allowed a trial period, as the department wasn't actually shutting down, it was moving location and that staff should be allowed to try working for at the new location and then be allowed to take redundancy if it was unsuccessful, which would have seen him over the line. But the company wasn't having none of it.

Back
Top Bottom