What watch do you wear?

Caporegime
Anyone recommend a watch cleaning kit? Something to keep the bracelet clean, buff out any scratches etc? It's for an Oris Aquis with a steel bracelet.

If it's a brushed bracelet the only way to get rid of the scratches is to have it re-finished. If it's polished you can use a cape cod cloth. I just use camera lens wipes to get rid of dirt etc.

Soldato
Nope, I obviously wipe it down once I remove it but the only thing I find is buttery smooth pins, I'd take a picture but there isn't a gap between the joins, a video also wouldn't get the level of pleasure gleaned from such a feeling :p
So long as the narration has some heavy breathing and the occasional 'Ooooo', I'm sure you could convey it well.

Soldato
uc

Fitted quick release to the brown strap.

Finally adjusted the Milanese and I really like the feel and fit.

uc

uc

Associate
Who do you guys insure your watches/jewellery etc with? We have a few between me and my wife but seem to be struggling to get house insurance now as the valuables are over the limit that most companies will insure for. Thought there may be some of you in a similar situation here.

Don
Who do you guys insure your watches/jewellery etc with? We have a few between me and my wife but seem to be struggling to get house insurance now as the valuables are over the limit that most companies will insure for. Thought there may be some of you in a similar situation here.

All mine are declared on my house insurance, which also covers them away from the home. Certainly adds to the premium, but not stupidly so (£18k of watches upped annual premium by £85)

Associate
Interesting, I could only find one insurer this year that would cover the full value (including away from home) and could only find one last year but the value has gone up so they wouldn't cover me this year. I find it a nightmare every year!

Caporegime
We are with the NFU and they are certainly not the cheapest insurance but i stay with them for a few reasons:

1. Unless you have property insurance with them they wont insure my quad bike, tractor and horsebox.
2. Very good cover for all my tools in my workshop and they replaced the lot, new for old, when they were nicked about 15 years ago
3. Seem very good with valuables. I have all my expensive camera equipment (£20k) all covered for theft and accidental damage away from home and the premium was peanuts. Once claimed for a £1000 lens I dropped and got a new lens just for the £75 excess.

Soldato
@fobose Did you have any issues unscrewing the tiny screws in the strap on your omega? I have a wera and a bergeon set, but they are damn tight. Read on the omega forums you need to put the strap in hot water, or use a hairdryer to heat up some kind of glue used to hold the screws in?
Is that right?

I might just take it to a dealer and get them to do it, but feel a bit silly not being able to change a damn watch strap!

Soldato
@fobose Did you have any issues unscrewing the tiny screws in the strap on your omega? I have a wera and a bergeon set, but they are damn tight. Read on the omega forums you need to put the strap in hot water, or use a hairdryer to heat up some kind of glue used to hold the screws in?
Is that right?

I might just take it to a dealer and get them to do it, but feel a bit silly not being able to change a damn watch strap!

That'll be thread lock/Loctite. You can use a soldering iron too which provides more precisely directed heat, the critical thing to find out is where the threads are and thus where the Loctite is and so you know where to apply the heat - some are threaded only at the opposite end from the screw head, whilst others are threaded from the head down meaning the Loctite is very close to the screw head.

Soldato
Fair enough. I got mine done free the first time from jeweler I bought it from. A few months later it felt far too tight (summer) so I went back and had them put the link back in again. Cost me £10 I think. ******** :p

P.S what wera set do you have?

Back
Top Bottom