What have you done to your car today?

Soldato
P Zeros don't seem to be very good in UK conditions. Apparently they aren't to bad in hotter climates.

But yea there are a bunch of different versions of them. The OEM P-Zeros you get from Porsche etc aren't the same.

Last edited:
Associate
So today was lowering day on the mx5, 15-20 mm on the springs and 20mm spacers to flush em out.

Handling is now like a go cart.

117987985-10158774730838054-5677632304778036366-o.jpg

Associate
New Michelin Primacy tyres at the front fitted.

also booked it in for a full detail which I’ve never had before but it’s 5 years old and thought I’d treat it. Guy coming on the 8 September to do the work.

Caporegime
they just widen the track. How does that negatively impact the handling?

Because they widen the track outside of the suspension geometry. On the front wheels this causes an increase to the positive scrub radius leading to an increase in camber when turning. This decreases the effective tyre contact area with the road leading to understeer.
If you run a negative scrub radius on the front then it causes it to tend towards zero which is even worse.

They also increase the distance from the wheel to the suspension dampers acting as a lever thus making the sprigs and dampers less softer. Not a great way to increase handling...

Soldato
Come on then, prove it wrong.
Please add sources for your 'science'.

I have used spacers in the past with literally no adverse effects to my suspension geometry or changing the spring rates (just lol at that). The only thing that has ever changed anything other than the track is replacing bushes, springs and dampers etc. which are major changes and so require an alignment. Adding a small spacer does not change any of the things you're jabbering on about. Don't attempt to sound smart or like you're backing things up with science when you're clearly just making things up because you don't have experience of something.

Associate
Having felt a little proud of myself for having done some rudimentary preventative maintenance - levelling up from doing my own oil/filter change, I now get the feeling of having drifted inadvertently into the deep end and one of my armbands is deflating... :)

Caporegime
Please add sources for your 'science'.

I have used spacers in the past with literally no adverse effects to my suspension geometry or changing the spring rates (just lol at that). The only thing that has ever changed anything other than the track is replacing bushes, springs and dampers etc. which are major changes and so require an alignment. Adding a small spacer does not change any of the things you're jabbering on about. Don't attempt to sound smart or like you're backing things up with science when you're clearly just making things up because you don't have experience of something.

So that's a no, you've got nothing to refute that then?

Soldato
So that's a no, you've got nothing to refute that then?
And you have nothing to back up your 'science' it seems So that's a no, you've got nothing to refute that then?

Honestly, you and a few others don't half post some drivel and act like you know what you're talking about by making up random rubbish to sound like you're an authority and smart when in fact you clearly aren't.

Increasing the track width of a car by a few mm really does not affect anything, from personal experience and from the experience of many, many others around the world who fit spacers and/or different offset wheels.

On a separate note, it'll be nice when the schools go back...

Caporegime
And you have nothing to back up your 'science' it seems So that's a no, you've got nothing to refute that then?

Honestly, you and a few others don't half post some drivel and act like you know what you're talking about by making up random rubbish to sound like you're an authority and smart when in fact you clearly aren't.

Increasing the track width of a car by a few mm really does not affect anything, from personal experience and from the experience of many, many others around the world who fit spacers and/or different offset wheels.

On a separate note, it'll be nice when the schools go back...

Out if curiosity, where did you do your mech eng degree?

Or...as I suspect do you actually have no knowledge and you're working on nothing but assumption?

Back
Top Bottom