• iPhone 12

Votes: 39 13.4%
  • iPhone 12 Pro

Votes: 93 31.8%
  • iPhone 12 Pro Max

Votes: 109 37.3%

• Total voters
Soldato
It’s such a simple yet handy feature, don’t know why Apple have never used it.

Because an AOD drains the battery and Apple don’t want to cede that control to the end user. They want to have their “battery life the same as previous model” keynote announcement and also maintain their (well deserved) reputation for excellent standby drain.

It’s a shame to be denied the choice but I can’t see it changing anytime soon.

Soldato
Because an AOD drains the battery and Apple don’t want to cede that control to the end user. They want to have their “battery life the same as previous model” keynote announcement and also maintain their (well deserved) reputation for excellent standby drain.

It’s a shame to be denied the choice but I can’t see it changing anytime soon.
Never saw an increase in battery use when using a Samsung device with AOD in use, if they can do it, then Apple can too.

Soldato
Never saw an increase in battery use when using a Samsung device with AOD in use, if they can do it, then Apple can too.

It's never about "can they do it?... of course they can. They've likely built hundreds of its variations in their labs. It's about "can we do it to a level that satisfies our standards for new features?", and that answer isn't always obvious.

AOD is inefficient on LCD displays, and definitely causes burin-in on OLED displays. To avoid burn-in, you have to shift the elements around in a very noticeable way. Just lacks the aesthetic elegance that Apple demands from their UX. And doing it only on OLED iPhones takes something away from the consistency of the iOS user experience that they have across all their devices. It's very easy for Samsung to produce devices that look and feel completely different, Apple however values UX consistency extremely highly, much more than a simple feature such as AOD display.

Others can (and do) add a lot of things that are very easy to implement for Apple, but never passes their QA. While Samsung's design culture is to give users the highest number of features, even if they're ineffective, inefficient, half-baked, inelegant and just out-of-place, Apple's design culture is to not include features if they can't make them effective, efficient, elegant and consistent across all their devices. Obviously whichever of these approaches agrees more with your demands of your device will likely determine if you buy products from either of them.

Soldato
Or a £200 watch series 3, or any number of second hand models.
So you're saying the £1,499 top of the range iPhone doesn't really function that well as a phone unless you spend an additional few hundred pounds on an apple watch aswell? Or am I misunderstanding you here. Are notifications really such a luxury?

Soldato
So you're saying the £1,499 top of the range iPhone doesn't really function that well as a phone unless you spend an additional few hundred pounds on an apple watch aswell? Or am I misunderstanding you here. Are notifications really such a luxury?

I think he's saying, is that Apple don't have an AOD on their iPhone at the moment, probably for very good reasons such as OLED burn-in, battery drain concerns etc, and also don't have a notification light which (for me) would be an annoyance blinking away. Whether that's a pro, or a con depends completely on your situation. Notifications work perfectly fine, and you get an instant notification, and a notification on screen, it simply doesn't have a light every few seconds.

But whether that is a 'function' of a phone is entirely up to you.

Soldato
It functions fine on its own and will display notifications. If you want an AOD you would need to get an Apple Watch.

Associate
fine thank you for the responses.

lol, you fought hard there mate! Unfortunately mrochester is so pro Apple that you were never winning there.

So today is my last day with my iPhone XS. Been a good couple of years with it and 6 with Apple in general but times/needs change and I’m hopping over the wall so I’m not restricted as I currently feel within Apple/iOS. Recent events regarding the App Store cemented my decision.

Still keeping my iPad Pro however for the time being as it’s a great device.

Soldato
lol, you fought hard there mate! Unfortunately mrochester is so pro Apple that you were never winning there.

So today is my last day with my iPhone XS. Been a good couple of years with it and 6 with Apple in general but times/needs change and I’m hopping over the wall so I’m not restricted as I currently feel within Apple/iOS. Recent events regarding the App Store cemented my decision.

Still keeping my iPad Pro however for the time being as it’s a great device.

Im sorry that you think providing people with help counts as being ‘pro Apple’. That speaks more about you than anyone else though.

Associate
Im sorry that you think providing people with help counts as being ‘pro Apple’. That speaks more about you than anyone else though.

lol, it’s hardly help though is it-let’s be honest. And you are Pro Apple-not sure why you’d take offence to it.

Person makes a valid point about potentially having to spend a large amount of money on top of an obscene amount of money on a phone to get an AOD display when it could be easily implemented by Apple and your only reply was to buy an Apple Watch.

Surely you can understand why someone would be curious as to why that’s the only option?

Back
Top Bottom