Horizon Zero Dawn

Raz

Raz

Soldato
And it now seems to be £24.99 on CDKeys.

Edit - double post for some reason, deal's that good that the forum posted it twice.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Ah cool, was oos all morning so glad it's back and will bite at that price I think, as I'm going to wait for Project Cars 3 to crash in price.
Jimmy Broadbent was less than enthusiastic about PC3 saying that in some places it wasn’t even an improvement over project cars, never mind project cars 2.

Soldato
I've been smashing my way through this one, really enjoying the story, and with the settings maxed out at 1080p it's looking fantastic.

Soldato
Finished this last night - not quite rinsed all the side content, but very close. Fantastic ending, very emotional (though the gameplay itself was a bit disappointing).

I've not had a game grab me like this for ages. The sense of mystery and uncovering the story behind the world was amazing. The premise was fresh, and the combat against the various machines is varied and requires actual skill and planning. It's the best story led game I've played since the Mass Effect games.

Just watched the trainer for Forbidden West, and it almost makes me want to get a PS5. However I'm not sure I could enjoy the game as much using gamepad.

Soldato
Finished this last night - not quite rinsed all the side content, but very close. Fantastic ending, very emotional (though the gameplay itself was a bit disappointing).

I've not had a game grab me like this for ages. The sense of mystery and uncovering the story behind the world was amazing. The premise was fresh, and the combat against the various machines is varied and requires actual skill and planning. It's the best story led game I've played since the Mass Effect games.

Just watched the trainer for Forbidden West, and it almost makes me want to get a PS5. However I'm not sure I could enjoy the game as much using gamepad.

Can't you just plug in your kb / mouse into the PS5 USB ports? (I don't actually know as last console I had was N64 lol...)

Soldato
Can't you just plug in your kb / mouse into the PS5 USB ports? (I don't actually know as last console I had was N64 lol...)

Games have to be specifically programmed to support keyboard and mouse. From experience I know this is actually a surprisingly hard process to do well because gamepad has completely different erogonomic and control philosophy from keyboard and mouse. What works well on a gamepad doesn't on keyboard and mouse, and vice versa.

Soldato
What's keyboard and mouse like with this, it was great on the PS4. But recently I have struggled with keyboard/mouse, such as with odyssey, I always press the wrong keys.

Soldato
What's keyboard and mouse like with this, it was great on the PS4. But recently I have struggled with keyboard/mouse, such as with odyssey, I always press the wrong keys.

It's very good - much better than the Assassins Creed games. The only big issue I had was a couple of unbindable keys, including Enter. Being left handed, fully reconfigurable keyboard controls are essential.

The best thing about Horizon Zero Dawn is that it doesn't rely on quicktime events or combos. The only combo move is holding down a key/button as well as attack to do a heavy attack. You could use a mouse or keyboard macro to make that a single key (I'm surprised it isn't already a single key actually).

A lot of the console games that rely on Quicktime events or combos just don't work well on keyboard due to the ergonomics of buttons that may be next to eachother on gamepad and easy to press, but may be in a completely different arrangement on keyboard and mouse. Control layouts change significantly when keys are remapped, so some combos may not be comfortable. And that's not even taking into account non-gaming keyboards that don't allow more than three keys to be pressed at once.

Soldato
It's very good - much better than the Assassins Creed games. The only big issue I had was a couple of unbindable keys, including Enter. Being left handed, fully reconfigurable keyboard controls are essential.

The best thing about Horizon Zero Dawn is that it doesn't rely on quicktime events or combos. The only combo move is holding down a key/button as well as attack to do a heavy attack. You could use a mouse or keyboard macro to make that a single key (I'm surprised it isn't already a single key actually).

A lot of the console games that rely on Quicktime events or combos just don't work well on keyboard due to the ergonomics of buttons that may be next to eachother on gamepad and easy to press, but may be in a completely different arrangement on keyboard and mouse. Control layouts change significantly when keys are remapped, so some combos may not be comfortable. And that's not even taking into account non-gaming keyboards that don't allow more than three keys to be pressed at once.
Cool, I'll wait for a sale.

Soldato
So how does this run after the patches? Is 60fps doable at 1440p on 4790k/2070S?

I've heard about crashing and poor optimisation so thinking about waiting some more.

Associate
My performance has been all over the place with my vega 64. I've found out that AMD have listened to the forums and are working on a driver fix. I did have to turn off the steam overlay all the windows 10 gaming settings to stop it crashing.

Associate
Wonder if Forbidden West will eventually make its way to PC also then?
I'm not buying a PS5 just to play it, i was the same with FF7 remake which the original was my favourite game ever as a kid and i held off buying a PS4

Soldato
So how does this run after the patches? Is 60fps doable at 1440p on 4790k/2070S?

I've heard about crashing and poor optimisation so thinking about waiting some more.

Well I am using a basic 580, and running 1440p, and its lovely, i haven't noticed any issues, but granted doubt I am getting 60fps, just not noticing that I am not
No crashes

Soldato
Patch 1.03 is out ( copied from Reddit ) :

Known Issues
  • Some players are experiencing an out of memory error during the game optimization process.

• Some players are experiencing graphical settings issues, such as Anisotropic Filtering or HDR not working correctly.

• Some players are experiencing performance issues on specific GPUs or hardware combinations.

Patch Notes
Crash Fixes

• Fixed a GPU resource leak which could build up over time and cause instability.

• Fixed a GPU hang that caused a crash that could occur when Asynchronous Compute was used.

• Fixed a crash when AI would try to aim at an invalid position.

• Fixed a crash that could occur when sound obstruction was calculated in highly detailed areas.

• Fixed a crash that would occur when moving the game to a monitor with different DPI settings while in the menu.

• Fixed an issue where some players would crash on startup due to incorrect memory allocation.

• Fixed a GPU hang that would occur when the window was resized to a very small size.
Progression Issues

• Fixed a progression issue where some players would remain a child and not transition to adult Aloy.
Functionality Issues

• Fixed an issue where snow deformation was not working correctly in the Frozen Wilds area.

• Fixed an issue where the Concentration skill could stop working.
Other improvements

• 4K Scaling – Fixed an issue where the game wouldn’t render at 4K properly on boot.

• Frame Rate Limiter – Improved Frame Rate Limiter functionality to be more accurate.

• Localization – Localized specific error messages.

• Windows Version Check - The game checks if Windows 10 Build 1809 or above is used (lower versions cause instability in DirectX 12).

• Minimum Spec Warning – Improved minimum spec warning message and options.

• Saving Issue Warning – Clarified text that is displayed when you do not have access to your My document folder or enough disk space.

• Player Profile Validation – The player profile is now validated and corrupt profiles (caused by manual editing or tweak tools) rejected.

Soldato

It runs at a fairly solid 60fps @1440p here. This is with a 2600x / 2070S / 16gb 3200mhz. Gfx settings are a little bit higher than DF's recommended settings.

There's still the odd random dip below 60fps here & there, and it does / will drop to sub 50fps in bandit camps & town areas.

That was on patch v1.02. Haven't tested the latest one yet.

As for crashes I've been one of the lucky ones. Had 2-3 in the first 5 or so hours iirc & none since in 40+ hours.

Associate
The latest patch has largely fixed RX Vega performance issues, and it is now performing within 20% of the Radeon VII.

1080p Ultimate preset (includes stats OSD)

1440p Ultimate preset (includes stats OSD)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom