• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

There is no decent upgrade path for 1080ti owners yet

Soldato
Nvidia releases a card nearly 1.7-2x more powerful for the same price as a 1080ti at launch.

"theres no upgrade path for teh 1080tiii!!!!"

ok

Soldato
I'm on the fence. I want a new shiny but my Ti is still doing the job. Plus its under water and the thought of draining the loop does not appeal right now.

A good reason to wait and let the early adopters find out the pitfalls. Sit back, watch the moaning as "x card isnt in stock", "y card doesnt have enough VRAM and wont play any games oh woe is me", "card runs too hot moans", "mine is playing space invaders I need to RMA" etc etc then buy with a more educated decision after AMD release theres.

Am I missing something here.

The 3070 is around the performance level of a 2080ti for around the price of £469.
So if you are gaming below 4k that is a bargain and a nice upgrade over a 1080ti.

Obliviously NVIDIA are holding back on the 16Gb and 20Gb variants (yup total gits), and of coarse those are the cards we all want.

So the current choices are.
  1. Either wait another 3 to 6 months for those 16gb and 20gb cards to release.
  2. Wait another month or two for the RDNA2 cards to release.
  3. Or spend the least amount of money possible on a stop gap solution, aka the 3070.

Last edited:
Associate
I agree with both sides, I wouldn't be gutted about just 1gb and evidence seems to suggest that vram isn't as big a limit as it could be but on the other side I would not pay that kind of money for something that I would suspect can let me down within 2 or 3 years time. I'd rather wait for a super or ti version than jump on the first pile and realise that it's not got the legs to keep up down the line. I'm sure it will perform in most cases anyway but for the sake of waiting for the version that lives up to the dream then I'd rather wait. Between waiting to see what AMD can offer (would love AMD to pull it out the bag but it's hard to expect it fully) and wanting to ensure the card has the legs for any future games I do think the vram is a minor concern future proofing wise.

Associate
A good reason to wait and let the early adopters find out the pitfalls. Sit back, watch the moaning as "x card isnt in stock", "y card doesnt have enough VRAM and wont play any games oh woe is me", "card runs too hot moans", "mine is playing space invaders I need to RMA" etc etc then buy with a more educated decision after AMD release theres.

You are spot on there and will be what I do unless I come into some Overtime. I game a 1440 (g-sync) and to Ti still maintains decent FPS plus g-sync takes care of any dips.

Back
Top Bottom