Is it "simple" to come off benefits then go back on again?

Consigliere
Disclaimer: Yes i'll be speaking to the JSA/UC teams but i value OCUK's opinions. :p

Scenario: Currently on benefits and job hunting...a friend of mine said he may be able to provide a temp role for 2 months (all above board) so i am wondering how simple it is to come off benefits and then to go back on benefits after the 2 months are up.

Is it a simple transfer so to speak/anyone done this?

Cheers

Permabanned
I’ve not done it personally.

Only from a friend who lost his business and his situation.

It’s a time consuming thing. You may also face a delay in the payment before receiving them fully again.
You are basically ending the current claim and once finished probably making a new one. If you have online account you might be able to edit income section and they may adjust the claim for those couple of weeks. ?
Or you will have to reapply and wait for confirmation. In which could be a delaying process.

regards

Associate
In theory Universal Credit should be designed to make this work easily. Experience of a mate's wife suggest there is lots of complexity - for her it was still worth it to do the short period of work and then go back on to benefits, but expect delayed payments and pain in the process

Soldato
There shouldn't be a reason you can't, but as above you'll have to make a new claim and the obvious hassle involved.

Edit: I'd definitely take the temp job though,2 months might turn into 4, 4 might turn into.....etc etc

Soldato
I had a claim for two weeks I had out of work last October after returning from walking the camino, they processed it Afew weeks back!!!!!
Probebly just the incompetent staff in Bodmin, but I use agency's when I'm out of work not benefits so it's only ever the odd week or so

Soldato
I'm not sure you would have to stop the claim if only working for 2 months. I think you would just report earnings for those two months and they would reduce your entitlement during those assessment periods.

Back
Top Bottom