• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is the RTX 3090 a rip off for £1,400?

Soldato
Not exactly, when was the last time you saw a Ti and non Ti part based off the same core.. and here it's being branded as a completely different class 3800 vs 3900.. somehow you get the feeling that you are being ripped off a bit.. the value thing kinda plays out subconsciously

well tbh when you look at it it's all a rip-off isnt it. The 2080tis are being touted as £400 cards now by Nvidia which even now are on Amazon still for £1,200. £1,200 any time for a graphics card is a rip-off it's just users are willing to pay that, let alone £1,500 for one of these 3090s.

All a rip-off.

Associate
well tbh when you look at it it's all a rip-off isnt it. The 2080tis are being touted as £400 cards now by Nvidia which even now are on Amazon still for £1,200. £1,200 any time for a graphics card is a rip-off it's just users are willing to pay that, let alone £1,500 for one of these 3090s.

All a rip-off.

I am fine with price.. but wanted it to be better (some differentiation with 3080 other than size of RAM), that's causing some indecision at my end.. why wouldn't they build something larger :)

Associate
yes because their will 100% be a card called titan that all the 3090 owners will buy aswell, even though nvidia have screwed them 2 generations on the run by saying they wouldnt make another titan or that this titan is the one for this gen (then they release a titan big letter rather than small)

Associate
Not at all its for the pro gamer who games at 4K ! With all tech you always have different prices ranges , I’d say it’s fairly priced , most people will buy 3080 anyway as most people own 1080p or 1440 screen , not many people own a 4K monitor for gaming and the 3090 is aimed at that group of people. Yes its expensive but then again its going to be the best consumer graphics card on the market.... when you take in to account you will be gaming at 4K ultra settings over 60 FPS in top title games I’d say its well worth it at £1350

For me personally yes its a lot of cash but I spend a good 5 hours on my pc everyday so on that note I can just about justify it ha.

Last edited:
Associate
the $1500 card is just an anchor that is supposed to make you think that the lower end cards represent great value for money ( 'well, it is just 20% slower for half the cost' - they don't want you approaching the price from the bottom i.e. why 2080 cost 3 times as much as my 1660 super whereas it's only 60% faster? ) , this is also the reason why the top card is being released first. It's done to manipulate you, nothing else. No gaming card should cost more than $600-700 and you should never agree to pay more unless you are ready to pay premium because the higher end somehow help you make money elsewhere i.e. faster project rendering that increases your competitiveness on the market but be careful even with that.

Soldato
OP
I think the 3090 prices will drop quite a lot next year, especially if demand for the 3080 is high, since the 3080 and 3090 are based off the GA102. Its not called a Titan, which was a low production I think they will keep producing the 3090 for many more months.

Associate
Funny everyone forgets that there are people who want the best card available but also don’t give a crap about bragging rights. I’m getting a 3090 because I can, the 3080Ti in 6-12 months still won’t be as powerful and as much VRAM even if it’s close, it’s too far away and and I’ll be making this card last so every percent helps. I run a 4K display and want to max settings at 60FPS minimum for as long as I can. Can people stop being so negative against the card and those that can afford it just because you can’t, each to their own. As for value, well that’s low on my priority list but this is a Titan level card, for less, and it’s only a few hundred more than a 2080Ti.

Soldato
Can people stop being so negative against the card and those that can afford it just because you can’t, each to their own. As for value, well that’s low on my priority list but this is a Titan level card, for less, and it’s only a few hundred more than a 2080Ti.

People who don't spend big money for a tiny performance improvement aren't necessarily lacking the funds to do so.

Associate
For months I was dead set on 2080Ti but it started to diminish. As time was passing by I was becoming more and more obsessed with latest Ampere "leaks" etc.

A rip off? Perhaps so. I can see why 3080 is a much more reasonable proposal but this is my personal whim :p. I want a top GPU which will bring a smile to my face every time I turn it on and that's not something I can convert into a monetary value. Hopefully it will serve me another 5 years+. It's finally a time to give my old and reliable HD7950 a rest. I also hope moving to 4K@144Hz will be as satisfying as moving to Full HD from 1280x1024 back in the day.

Associate
Funny everyone forgets that there are people who want the best card available but also don’t give a crap about bragging rights. I’m getting a 3090 because I can, the 3080Ti in 6-12 months still won’t be as powerful and as much VRAM even if it’s close, it’s too far away and and I’ll be making this card last so every percent helps. I run a 4K display and want to max settings at 60FPS minimum for as long as I can. Can people stop being so negative against the card and those that can afford it just because you can’t, each to their own. As for value, well that’s low on my priority list but this is a Titan level card, for less, and it’s only a few hundred more than a 2080Ti.
I do agree we don't need to be too negative, the truth is the more money people have the less they care about the value side but it is still an over priced card. That might not bother you and I've had my luxury purchases recently (LG CX TV, Samsung Note 20 Ultra) but this card alone costs more than a full PC, more than getting all the consoles, more than premium phones or TV's etc. You might not mind punting it because everyone enjoys their luxuries but objectively it's a wicked high price relative to other tech when it's just a single component and it will get outdated after a while.

Still it's up to the individual to decide if it fits them, never get too out of shape on either direction because there's arguments for both sides. I do see that this is what a lot of people were asking for, SLI and crossfire have been a let down and this is that single big card approach that gets you the killer performance with one card and more reliability that way. There's nothing wrong with enthusiasts enjoying enthusiast tech but we can also be objective about it too. I'd actually like one just to get my CX to show it's full capability and enjoy great graphics on a big screen but I think the 3080 would be closer to a realistic level of money when I factor in the games I play. Either way if you will get a lot of use out it then fair enough and enjoy it but the thread is about the card and the card is objectively a high price to pay. For most it's gonna seem bonkers but it will have it's fans too. I'm in the market for a new laptop or gaming PC but before I splash that money I'll at least wait to see what AMD has too.

Soldato
I do agree we don't need to be too negative, the truth is the more money people have the less they care about the value side but it is still an over priced card. That might not bother you and I've had my luxury purchases recently (LG CX TV, Samsung Note 20 Ultra) but this card alone costs more than a full PC, more than getting all the consoles, more than premium phones or TV's etc. You might not mind punting it because everyone enjoys their luxuries but objectively it's a wicked high price relative to other tech when it's just a single component and it will get outdated after a while.

Still it's up to the individual to decide if it fits them, never get too out of shape on either direction because there's arguments for both sides. I do see that this is what a lot of people were asking for, SLI and crossfire have been a let down and this is that single big card approach that gets you the killer performance with one card and more reliability that way. There's nothing wrong with enthusiasts enjoying enthusiast tech but we can also be objective about it too. I'd actually like one just to get my CX to show it's full capability and enjoy great graphics on a big screen but I think the 3080 would be closer to a realistic level of money when I factor in the games I play. Either way if you will get a lot of use out it then fair enough and enjoy it but the thread is about the card and the card is objectively a high price to pay. For most it's gonna seem bonkers but it will have it's fans too. I'm in the market for a new laptop or gaming PC but before I splash that money I'll at least wait to see what AMD has too.

I agree. It is relative. I don't think it is a rip off but the market will make it's judgement. As a somewhat enthusiast I would have no issues purchasing one, I had originally planned to and budgeted this in to my finances this year.

But I do think the 3090 represents a poor value proposition when compared to the 3080, while the 3080 will be more than adequate for me for the foreseeable I suspect. I can imagine many people feel the same. If 3080 came in at £800, with top AIBs pushing £1000 the 3090 would be a no brainer for me and a good enough value proposition, for example.

Soldato
Could you make a £1400 GPU out of dirt with 36billion transistors?

In relative terms it's good value. People pay that for handbags.

Associate
But I do think the 3090 represents a poor value proposition when compared to the 3080, while the 3080 will be more than adequate for
+1, at least the 2080ti was 35% better than the 2080 for the extra cash. All though we've seen no reviews it looks as though your only gonna get around 20% above 3080 for the extra bunce

Soldato
yes because their will 100% be a card called titan that all the 3090 owners will buy aswell, even though nvidia have screwed them 2 generations on the run by saying they wouldnt make another titan or that this titan is the one for this gen (then they release a titan big letter rather than small)

I will be sticking to the 3090.
Now £2,500 for a card(titan) is a rip off to some.

Associate
Top of the range products are barely ever worth the price premium but if you have the money why not?

I'm firmly a mid range guy but I'm sure a lot of 3090 buyers will be very happy.

Associate
For those upgrading do you feel you actually need it?

My 1080ti will soon be 2 generations old and is handling everything I throw at it.

I would say if you game at 1440 then no ! But if you game at 4K & want over 60 FPS ultra settings then yes the 3090 is the way to go + it’s going to last you a good few years if not more , Doom was just show cased on the 3080 ultra at 4K & it was hanging out 120 - 150 FPS ! Crazy speeds & that’s not even on the 3090 that’s 20% faster ! I’m super excited about being able to play the new flight sim in 4K ultra & also going back to RDR2 at 4K maxed out It’s going to be beaut

Back
Top Bottom