Tofu.... ??

Soldato
Is it better to cook the Tofu then marinate it to cook again later or to marinate first then cook

Better to bake in oven or fry ?

Also should I squish it to get rid of juices so it can soak up more marination ?

First time cooking Tofu

Caporegime
It says on the label to press it though ? for 20 minutes ???

I guess I'll just marinate it in the char siu then fry it, then add it to my fried rice

They way they mean when they say “press” is put towels around it, then place a chopping board as weigh to press down on it. Not squish it. The way to dehydrate tofu is actually by freezing, google will show you the way. After you freeze it, the pressing will remove a lot more water.

I would personally go with some tried and tested recipe than to make up my own for a first try. If you don’t like it you will say you don’t like tofu, and you won’t know if it’s down to your cooking or actually the tofu.

Soldato
Marinate first then cook.
As said, just wrap it in a tea towel and put a heavy chopping board and a couple cookbooks on top. You need a decent bit of weight.

Tofuu brand doesn’t need pressed, and the smoked stuff is the best tasting tofu out there.

If you’re baking it, try it with a bit of corn flour slurry to crisp it up. I prefer it baked than fried but it depends what you’re making to be honest.

We have tofu probably twice a week, so pretty comfortable cooking with it. It also makes a great scrambled egg substitute if you can find some black salt.

Soldato
I generally press it in tea towels, with a baking tray and tins on too for about 1hr or so. Then coat in seasoned cornflour, fry on its own in plenty of oil. Remove, place on kitchen roll to drain. Then do the rest of the stir fry and chuck it in near the end.

Soldato
OP
So I drained, pressed, marinated, baked in the oven for 25 minutes and then had it later thrown in with some egg fried rice & beansprouts, turned out quite well

Going to try frying instead of baking next time

Soldato
I've never heard of the freezer method, sounds worth a good. But you still have to press it? Sounds like a lot of work for what should be (for example) a quick stir fry :p Having to remember to press it, and fry it first is tedious enough!

Soldato
I've never heard of the freezer method, sounds worth a good. But you still have to press it? Sounds like a lot of work for what should be (for example) a quick stir fry :p Having to remember to press it, and fry it first is tedious enough!
Simples, just keep a box of tofu in the freezer at all times like a basic ingredient :)

Soldato
OP
I shall try the freezer experience as well, probably going to get a few packs (I went a little crazy at the Chinese supermarket on sauce jars) so freezing won't be a problem

Soldato
Here's a question for tofu fans. On the menu tonight is a slightly made-up miso, chicken stock, sort-of noodle soup with mushrooms and pak choy. I have firm tofu for stir fries and will be putting that in. Would you fry it first (kinda pointless making it crispy only to dunk it in soup, no?), or just put cubes straight into the soup to warm through? :confused:

Soldato
Depends. It'll get softer in soup from wherever it starts. Can be nice. But you could also fry it to within an inch of it's like so it's crispy crunchy bits, like bacon or even crispier. Then it will float around like little croutons and maybe have some nice contrast!

It is an extra step though. Me = lazy, my girlfriend = makes tastier food ;)

Soldato
It is an extra step though.
Kinda what I thought. I get in trouble for what is commonly referred to as 'faffing' and making us end up eating weeknight dinners at 9pm :o So maybe I'll just chuck it in. Just unsure if it needs something, never had non-fried tofu before…

Back
Top Bottom