• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** NVIDIA RTX 30 SERIES NOW ONLINE AT OVERCLOCKERS UK (3090 / 3080 / 3070) **

Associate
When it's at over 300W stock... I really wouldn't be expecting 25% overclocks...

Good point. I wonder what power limits OC'd will be like, too. And if the nvidia 12 pin will offer more power than 2x8 pins. Weren't they saying it's capable of 600W at one stage?

Soldato
Good point. I wonder what power limits OC'd will be like, too. And if the nvidia 12 pin will offer more power than 2x8 pins. Weren't they saying it's capable of 600W at one stage?

Since the 12 pin is using 2x8pin adaptor... I'm not sure how it could offer more power ;) I've heard "rumours" of 80C at stock clocks though I'm not sure what cooler that was using- seems to me nVidia are clocking it quite aggressively from stock though

Caporegime
I disagree. The FE cards seem more of an issue for this in my opinion due to fan setup. The old designs never poised an issue as the new design might. Like I said before the FE design pushes most of the gear directly in front of the tower cooler at quite a speed too.

but all the AIB boards do exactly the same with the same fan configuration. Some even have dual push pull fans where Nvidia has the one fan you are complaining about.

can’t see that if it’s an issue with the FE then it’s only going to be worse with every AIB board

Soldato
Torn between a few 3090's.

Zotac Amp Extreme, EVGA FTW3 and MSI Gaming X Trio.

Preference is EVGA due to warranty remaining intact after fitting a water block and the transferable warranty when it comes to selling it in the future.

Having seen the EK waterblock for the Founders Cards, that would be my choice for aesthetics and price, but I've heard NVIDIA can be a nightmare with warranty.

Last edited:
So what are we leaning towards chaps, AIB or FE? Normally I'm straight on the AIB train but the FE fan design has me very intrigued, although some people say that it will dump hot air over the CPU I still think it might be a more efficient way to expel the hotter air out of the case more rapidly, like others have mentioned with an AIB dumping 320 watts into your case I'm not sure that is going to be any better?

Last edited:
Associate
Hard to say - I like the FE cleanliness, the AIBs prices are all over the place (even though I think this price is somehow a forecast from OCUK as all over retailers do not even put an estimate) - it has to be reasonable. If the FE is 649 - no way am I paying 800+ for RGB and all that jazz. Will have to wait till 14th for the review

Soldato
So what are we leaning towards chaps, AIB or FE? Normally I'm straight on the AIB train but the FE fan design has me very intrigued, although some people say that it will dump hot air over the CPU I still think it might be a more efficient way to expel the hotter air out of the case more rapidly, like others have mentioned with an AIB dumping 320 watts into your case I'm not sure that is going to any better?
Yeah, I guess all the heat from AIB cards will go into the case before being expelled whereas the FE will expel some of it immediately through the PCIe bracket. I've no idea how it'll go, but I'm very interested in seeing thermal and acoustic numbers on Monday (even though I'm not even sure I'll be upgrading this round). From an aesthetic point of view, I like the FE a lot. I just wish the power connector had been at least positioned horizontally.

rn2

rn2

Associate
but all the AIB boards do exactly the same with the same fan configuration. Some even have dual push pull fans where Nvidia has the one fan you are complaining about.

can’t see that if it’s an issue with the FE then it’s only going to be worse with every AIB board

I disagree with you on your comments and they are not exactly the same. I am not complaining it was my thoughts of the air flow but you just seem a bit sensitive that I made a negative comment about the FE cards pushing a lot of the hot air straight out and directly infront of the cpu tower cooler. I can just keep repeating this but it falls on deaf ears clearly. I also made a positive comment (how if your cpu is water cooled then it wouldn't make a difference) so not to upset anyone but it clearly still has.

It also looks like the FE edition will be taking most of the air away from the front of the computer case's intake fans too going by a little research, it would be good if someone does that smoke flow test on youtube to see though.

Bottom line is there is definately different thermal dynamics going on with the new design. I would say that if you have fans on the top of your case then it will probably be useful for the first time ever to have an exhaust fan postitioned towards the front of the top side of the case.

Last edited:
Yeah, I guess all the heat from AIB cards will go into the case before being expelled whereas the FE will expel some of it immediately through the PCIe bracket. I've no idea how it'll go, but I'm very interested in seeing thermal and acoustic numbers on Monday (even though I'm not even sure I'll be upgrading this round). From an aesthetic point of view, I like the FE a lot. I just wish the power connector had been at least positioned horizontally.
Reviews are now on the 16th....

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforc...3080-founders-edition-review-date-sept-16th-/

Are Nvidia hiding something.... dun dun dun

Evening all. Made an account, just to join this joyous discussion. First time PC builder, looking to get the ball rolling with a 3080 and 3700X (or more likely, the new Zen 3 replacement).

Was leaning towards AIB, but I'm turned off as soon as I hear the smallest 'horror' story...

Soldato
/scratches chin.

Probably hoping to get a performance driver to reviewers and giving them a bit more time to get their reviews done.

Hopefuly not some dodgy driver with a hidden DLSS always on.
It's more likely that they have been rumbled and will lift the NDA as late as possible so some of the uninformed, overzealous fans will buy without having time to think rationally.

Associate
It's more likely that they have been rumbled and will lift the NDA as late as possible so the uninformed over zealous fans will buy without having time to think rationally.

Do you also know who really killed JFK? :p

Associate
It's more likely that they have been rumbled and will lift the NDA as late as possible so the uninformed over zealous fans will buy without having time to think rationally.

Me scratches head, hmmm agreed completely, they are using the excuse of covid shipping delays and reviewers not having enough time to prepare reviews even though I know a lot have had it for days, I smell ********.

Soldato
Evening all. Made an account, just to join this joyous discussion. First time PC builder, looking to get the ball rolling with a 3080 and 3700X (or more likely, the new Zen 3 replacement).

Was leaning towards AIB, but I'm turned off as soon as I hear the smallest 'horror' story...

Sigh............ :o

Clearly got issues with reviewers initial testing. Prob preying on the weak now hoping for sales still when reviews go up so last minute.

Or coming up with an emergency driver update this weekend for reviewers to re-test before publishing figures.

Caporegime
I disagree with you on your comments and they are not exactly the same. I am not complaining it was my thoughts of the air flow but you just seem a bit sensitive that I made a negative comment about the FE cards pushing a lot of the hot air straight out and directly infront of the cpu tower cooler. I can just keep repeating this but it falls on deaf ears clearly. I also made a positive comment (how if your cpu is water cooled then it wouldn't make a difference) so not to upset anyone but it clearly still has.

It also looks like the FE edition will be taking most of the air away from the front of the computer case's intake fans too going by a little research, it would be good if someone does that smoke flow test on youtube to see though.

Bottom line is there is definately different thermal dynamics going on with the new design. I would say that if you have fans on the top of your case then it will probably be useful for the first time ever to have an exhaust fan postitioned towards the front of the top side of the case.

sorry I just get frustrated when people start banging on about the fan underneath pumping hot air onto the cpu when using an FE board yet just totally ignore the fact all the AIB boards have the same fan pushing the same hot air in the same location but in addition they have two more fans all pushing even more hot air towards the cpu.

why is it you and others can5 see that? Or am I being thick and missing something that all the AIB cards are blowers?

Permabanned
Me too but as I said before I think that end is the VRam cooling so not as hot, then again as some pre-reviews stated, the hotter GPU end is further away from case airflow esp as the front fan sucks it up before it gets to rear fan.

Time will tell.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom