• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

upgrade from i7 4790

Associate
hi all been rocking this for quite some time and on the fence to upgrade.

wanted to ask if this looks good.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £956.40 (includes shipping: £0.00)​

I currently have a 2070 and psu etc im just looking to upgrade my cpu and when the ti versions of ampere get announce i will get a 4k monitor and new gpu. currently gaming at 1080p. im just wanting to know of any compatibility issues.

thanks

Associate
I’m still with my 4790 and created a similar thread to yours. The new AMD Zen 3 chips are released very soon and may be a good choice for a gaming system otherwise if you can’t wait the 10600k gives almost as good performance as the 10900k for a much cheaper price.

Associate
OP
I’m still with my 4790 and created a similar thread to yours. The new AMD Zen 3 chips are released very soon and may be a good choice for a gaming system otherwise if you can’t wait the 10600k gives almost as good performance as the 10900k for a much cheaper price.

yes I know what you mean I’m really itching to upgrade my pc is only for gaming and very slight photoshop use for when my partner needs more stuff designed for her business but that’s it.

I have looked into benchmarks and realise the i5 is perfect but I’m the type of guy that wants to know he got the best at the time and it will hopefully last as long as my 4790 has.
I have been debating to go amd just for the fact that it has more cores and anything running in the background I don’t have to worry about while gaming.

I may wait for amd but I can’t help looking every day for an upgrade and to be honest I’m doing my own head in.

Associate
OP
Painful I know, but I think you'll be glad you did. The Ryzens support PCIe4 too so if they take the gaming crown with Zen 3 from Intel you will have that benefit too.

I know pal I’m just really bad for that upgrade itch. I’m not bothered which cpu I get as long as it offers me the best gaming performance as that’s my main use. I am not bothered about sticking with intel it’s just at the present time they offer the best performance.

Another thing real quick I read that your windows key is basically registered to your online account that you log into windows with so I don’t need to buy a windows key when I upgrade is this correct?.

Associate
I know pal I’m just really bad for that upgrade itch. I’m not bothered which cpu I get as long as it offers me the best gaming performance as that’s my main use. I am not bothered about sticking with intel it’s just at the present time they offer the best performance.

Another thing real quick I read that your windows key is basically registered to your online account that you log into windows with so I don’t need to buy a windows key when I upgrade is this correct?.

Just hang on from scratching it for bit longer :)

Your Windows key is linked to your account but also to the hardware you use specifically if you change your motherboard. Depending on the type of key you have you may still be able to carry on with it automatically or having a word with Microsoft. A new key from a CD key website is pretty cheap so its a small cost compared with the hardware spend if you have to buy another key.

Soldato
I have looked into benchmarks and realise the i5 is perfect but I’m the type of guy that wants to know he got the best at the time and it will hopefully last as long as my 4790 has.
Doubtfull 10 core stays high end for as long as you have had that 4790K.
I mean before Christmas next-gen consoles will bring 8 core CPU as next-gen standard level!
Also Intel's lack of PCIe v4 can start nibbling graphics card performance.

And if you want future proofness for long time, instead of paying heavy brand overprices in CPU you should be getting 32GB of memory.
Also QLC Flash drive is certainly substandard penny pinching.
Especially when it isn't even really any cheaper than TLC drives like WD Blue SN550.

And for actually beefier cooler than high end heatpipe coolers you need actually beefy radiator, like in Arctic Freezer II.
Besides except for cheap and easy to replace fan, heatpipe coolers have nothing which can fail and fan failure can't cause total loss of cooling.
Neither has Arctic Silver overhype gunk been any top paste in long long time.
Most good coolers come with same level TIM.

Associate
OP
Doubtfull 10 core stays high end for as long as you have had that 4790K.
I mean before Christmas next-gen consoles will bring 8 core CPU as next-gen standard level!

you have to remember them 8 cores arent clocked high and the desktop cpu will always be more powerful. 10 cores with higher clock speeds id say is well enough

Soldato
Wait till the 3080ti is announced then look at what CPU options are available at that time as AMD will have zen 3 and Intel should have CPUs that support PCIe gen 4.0 by then.

Soldato
you have to remember them 8 cores arent clocked high and the desktop cpu will always be more powerful. 10 cores with higher clock speeds id say is well enough
And you have to remember that consoles don't suffer from same ever growing bloatware as PCs and that in average console games are optimized lot better.
Even if PC game developer wants to squeeze out all performance potential, what hardware can he target when there's such huge diversity?
Of course with PC being also "moving target"...

And PC Master Race shouldn't be satisfied to waiting for consoles to bring new level games.
Or do we just finally conclude PC Master Race having died long ago?
(replaced by Cash Cow Race)

UEX

UEX

Associate
I upgraded some time ago to an 8700k and it flies. These must be reasonably cheap now used and used cpus are solid (i build and repair pcs for a living).

With uncertainty about both ryzen 4 and 11th gen Intel performance per ££ id be inclined to go with a new mobo 8700k or similar, used ram and a new nvme. Saving probably enough for a 3070 or a chunk towards a 3080. Then look towards intel 12th or even 13th gen when we might start to see some changes to nvme speeds that will translate to real world gains.

I just dont think the leap from 7th or 8th gen cpus to 10th is worth the premium and coming from 4th gen itll be huge for you with nvme

Associate
OP
I upgraded some time ago to an 8700k and it flies. These must be reasonably cheap now used and used cpus are solid (i build and repair pcs for a living).

With uncertainty about both ryzen 4 and 11th gen Intel performance per ££ id be inclined to go with a new mobo 8700k or similar, used ram and a new nvme. Saving probably enough for a 3070 or a chunk towards a 3080. Then look towards intel 12th or even 13th gen when we might start to see some changes to nvme speeds that will translate to real world gains.

I just dont think the leap from 7th or 8th gen cpus to 10th is worth the premium and coming from 4th gen itll be huge for you with nvme

got a chance there to buy a system local to me 2nd hand i7 9700k with a rx 580 for £600.

UEX

UEX

Associate
got a chance there to buy a system local to me 2nd hand i7 9700k with a rx 580 for £600.
honestly id totally consider that, you will see zero diff between 9700k and 10900k in gaming/general use. the jump to nvme is worth it over your 4th gen but otherwise theres no reason other than warranty to pay a grand for your spec in the OP if you buy the one with the 580 you then have 2 gfx cards you can sell and cover the cost of a 3070 (ish) or almost cover a 3080 and you will have only spent £600 its a no brainer imo

rn2

rn2

Associate
I was also close to buying an i9-10900k from my i74790 non K that I have owned for Al ong time.

Debating to wait for new ryzens to be released as if they hit 4.9gz on their 10nm chips then I'd probably get one of they're reliable. or to go with i9-9900k for the next 4 years.. Not sure how much of an issue pcie 3.0 is.

I only use my computer for gaming but want a cpu that will last me 4 years or so.

Last edited:
Associate
I was also close to buying an i9-10900k from my i74790 non K that I have owned for Al ong time.

Debating to wait for new ryzens to be released as if they hit 4.9gz on their 10nm chips then I'd probably get one of they're reliable. or to go with i9-9900k for the next 4 years.. Not sure how much of an issue pcie 3.0 is.

I only use my computer for gaming but want a cpu that will last me 4 years or so.

Dont think PCI-E 3.0 will matter much this gen but it may be a problem come the next gen

Back
Top Bottom