• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
If you are filling in the blanks effectively using AI and doing stuff to make lines and curves crisper etc. it can look "better" than native* - but I'm still not a huge fan - I'd rather have the native image personally.

* Kind of like Optoma does with its "embedding stereoscopic depth information from a human-vision-based model" to make upscaled footage look "HD".

The reason DLSS 2.0 in some instances appears to be better tha native is because it's trained at a high resolution.

DLSS 2.0 is trained by running games at 16k resolution on a super conputer, packaging that data into a profile that gets given to your graphics card via a driver.

Associate
I wonder if the 3090 is 30-40% faster than the 3080 looking at these underwhelming numbers. Seems to me like the 3090 should then be much faster looking at the price difference

Permabanned
This guy is all set and rig is ready and waiting for his 3080 (reddit), he is taking a bit of stick (constructive criticism) lol

kxwz8a0roym51.jpg

Soldato
I wonder if the 3090 is 30-40% faster than the 3080 looking at these underwhelming numbers. Seems to me like the 3090 should then be much faster looking at the price difference

I still think the 3090 is for people who will pay any price for the fastest with little or no regard for how much faster the card is.

"Is it the fastest?"

"Yes"

"Here's a blank check"

Associate
All I need confirmed from benchmarks is that Nvidia didn't nerf the 2080Ti demo against the 3080 - there's a guy on the internet showing Doom Eternal with the same framerates with a 2080Ti as the demo. I will wait and see what reviewers say.

Soldato

It's simply an Titan renamed to attract more gamers. Never about performance per dollar.

Associate
Can you please explain how an upscaled image can look better with a screen that has 4k native resolution like a TV?

I'd be interested to know.
Even if you render at native res you'll have artifacts caused by all sorts of things, for example shadow map resolution, ambient occlusion and reflection sampling. The theory is that DLSS cleans those up and results in a more natural looking image, even if the original was lower res.

Man of Honour
It's simply an Titan renamed to attract more gamers. Never about performance per dollar.

I'm not 100% but I think the Titan was originally intended to be a different core which got abandoned - probably due to problems making it on 8nm - probably appear on a refresh at 7nm and they don't want to make things confusing name wise.

3090 is probably what would have been a ti card but by calling it the 3090 they leave themselves more room to manoeuvrer later - 90 is usually dual GPU or ultra models.

Caporegime

Cant see it. There is nothing on paper where the 3090 have 30-40% more than the 3080. 20% at best. If it overclocks better than that might become 25%

We say with the 2000 series that the model above having 20% more of everything all round didnt necessarily produce 20% better performance.

Soldato
I still think the 3090 is for people who will pay any price for the fastest with little or no regard for how much faster the card is.

"Is it the fastest?"

"Yes"

"Here's a blank check"
Bit more than that to be fair. At 4K it gives more headroom especially if people don't want to upgrade again within the same generation. Of course it's NV trying to get 4k gamers to splash out on the 3090 at this point.Also the only GPU to support SLI I think, via NVLink.

Not long now. Not sure what to do this time. But by the weekend some shall be gaming with their new GPU's.

Back
Top Bottom