• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

upgrade from i7 4790

UEX

UEX

Associate
Dont think PCI-E 3.0 will matter much this gen but it may be a problem come the next gen
yes but the only way to get pcie gen 4 is on AMD chips which will also be out of date by the time it matters :) atm we arent even using half the bandwidth of a full x16 lanes of pcie 3, 16 lanes @ 1000MB/s is an incredible amount of data. We are some way off from this eventuality and its implementation.

I mean the discussion here isnt for someone who wants to be at the cutting edge, that person can buy the latest everything every year. This is about getting someone, who clearly has half an eye on cost, from what was a pretty good gaming setop 6 years ago to something that will feel worth £1k.

And in my personal and professional opinion an 8th gen intel and a new GPU would be absolutely perfect.

Soldato
yes but the only way to get pcie gen 4 is on AMD chips which will also be out of date by the time it matters :) atm we arent even using half the bandwidth of a full x16 lanes of pcie 3, 16 lanes @ 1000MB/s is an incredible amount of data. We are some way off from this eventuality and its implementation.
Consoles relying on fast SSD for streaming assets on the fly just before need can start changing bandwidth need relatively fast.
DirectStorage will be aiming for same on PC sometime next year.

And remember that when GPU needs data from outside its own memory it would prefer having it yesterday to avoid performance loss from delays.
That's why graphics card running out of memory has such instant and dramatic effect to fps.
So bandwidth per second is rather bad measure for that.
Instead we should be looking for bandwidth per time GPU has for rendering frame.

That need to transfer quite massive amounts of data in very short time is why graphics cards have memory bandwidth dozen times the main RAM of CPU.

Associate

I mean the discussion here isnt for someone who wants to be at the cutting edge, that person can buy the latest everything every year. This is about getting someone, who clearly has half an eye on cost, from what was a pretty good gaming setop 6 years ago to something that will feel worth £1k.

And in my personal and professional opinion an 8th gen intel and a new GPU would be absolutely perfect.
Well you did say in your post you were not sure how much of an issue pci-e 3 is but it sounds like you've made up your mind already so you may aswell go ahead and get the 9900k

rn2

rn2

Associate
The i9-9900k is only £360 now. Not bad at all. Even if you only keep it for 3 years. I'm personally going to wait for the Ryzen line up and see what it's like. Not really worth paying for the i9-10900k, just as well get the i9-9900k if you are going to buy soon (I don't think you can make abetter decision if you are going to buy soon). You won't see much difference between the two, in some benchmarks the I9-9900k out performs. So I would say about even for gaming and with a maximum price difference of £160 not to mention the extra heat on the newer cpu. This is just my opinion and why I changed my mind in buying the I9-10900k. I'm not up to date on teh I78700k but I think it's the same price as the I9-9900k.

Last edited:
Soldato

I think you will find even the current gen 2080 has higher average output that pcie3x8 let alone peak output.

basically the cards that aren’t being gimped by x8 bandwidth is rtx 2060 and GTX 1660 super/ti. Anything that runs faster than those are being gimped

also I would put my top dollars on even 2080ti being gimped by only having pcie3. Of course you can’t test out that theory. The card does have to sustain the throughout but when it does need to crunch a lot of data - those 1% low scenarios, 5700xt has proven that with higher bandwidth it give you high frame rate in pcie4 mode.

Associate
OP
So I got the 9700k system. Swapped it out and put it in my case because I’m not a big fan of big lumpy glass panel cases. When playing war zone with low settings high textures i was getting 60s in built up areas and normal gameplay around 70+ to 80 frames. Had a quick blast on it yesterday with the 9700k and Same settings I’m getting 130+ frames.
The benchmarks I have seen and basically 10 to 15fps off what is currently top chips from intel now but I can live with that. Planning on going 1440p 144hz when I get a 3080 so I know in that resolution and higher is more gpu bound in most games so I should be fine for a long time.

with me getting this I can put the gpu I got in my old system and sell that as a whole and sell my 2070 to get a 3080 happy days indeed.

thanks for the responses guys.

Associate
OP
also I would put my top dollars on even 2080ti being gimped by only having pcie3.
I’m sorry but I was on a website just the other day and it said a 9700k paired with a 2080ti produces under 1% bottleneck at 1080p resolution and the higher the res it fell dramatically because it gets more dependable on gpu.

I’m really not being funny here but that 1% I could live with. I don’t have to have the latest features if my setup is currently giving me results I am happy with. I have been gaming with a 4790 at 1080 with a decent card and I know at 1080p which I game at it has been bottlenecking. I had the option to get a better card and go higher res as the 4790 is still a capable performer in higher resolutions regardless off bandwidth. I am planning going higher and could have kept it but now I have double the cores and it’s a lot less stress overall for my system when I do.

rn2

rn2

Associate
So I got the 9700k system. Swapped it out and put it in my case because I’m not a big fan of big lumpy glass panel cases. When playing war zone with low settings high textures i was getting 60s in built up areas and normal gameplay around 70+ to 80 frames. Had a quick blast on it yesterday with the 9700k and Same settings I’m getting 130+ frames.
The benchmarks I have seen and basically 10 to 15fps off what is currently top chips from intel now but I can live with that. Planning on going 1440p 144hz when I get a 3080 so I know in that resolution and higher is more gpu bound in most games so I should be fine for a long time.

with me getting this I can put the gpu I got in my old system and sell that as a whole and sell my 2070 to get a 3080 happy days indeed.

thanks for the responses guys.

Good decision :)

UEX

UEX

Associate
Glad it all worked out m8y, you did EXACTLY what i would have done in your shoes and im a so called "expert" :) see you in 3 years for the intel 13th gen do-i dont-i merry go round :D :D

Back
Top Bottom