HOTAS for a lefty???

Soldato
Hi all,
so my first potential delve into using HOTAS. I miss flying aircraft in games like BF5 (non-VR obvs).
But with the imminent release of SW: Squadrons, man do I want the full-on experience on my Rift.
However, my left-handed-ness seems to pose an issue. I use a mouse left-handed and would prefer the joystick in my left hand too.
So.....what are my options? And if i go for one, can i use it in other games like Battlefield 5?
I've read that some folks just use a joystick in their left and maybe keyboard for the other 'bits'?

Cheers

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi all,
so my first potential delve into using HOTAS. I miss flying aircraft in games like BF5 (non-VR obvs).
But with the imminent release of SW: Squadrons, man do I want the full-on experience on my Rift.
However, my left-handed-ness seems to pose an issue. I use a mouse left-handed and would prefer the joystick in my left hand too.
So.....what are my options? And if i go for one, can i use it in other games like Battlefield 5?
I've read that some folks just use a joystick in the their left and maybe keyboard for the other 'bits'?

Cheers

The Thrustmaster 16000 stick is ambidextrous, dunno what throttles you can get.

Soldato
I'm a lefty, but had to train to fly right handed due to the lack of left-handed HOTAS systems.

There are a few ambidextrous sticks out there though. The old Saitek Cyborg sticks were good for this. You might find one second hand somewhere.

As for throttles, then using a second joystick often works pretty well. (I did this back in the 90's before getting a full HOTAS system, which forced me to fly right handed).

Of this type there is the Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS Space Sim Duo which is a dual stick system, but it doesn't seem to be widely available, and it's expensive.

Soldato
This is not going to be much help, but I bought a M$ Sidewinder precision II joystick years ago, not realising that it was right hand use. You'd be surprised how quickly you can get used to flying right handed.
Now flying left handed feels completely alien.

Soldato
That new thrustmaster airbus Hotas thing is ambidextrous too.

It’s fairly easy to find various sticks that have left/right versions but where you struggle is the thrust lever area, the vast majority are designed for left hand use.

Alternatively just learn to fly with the right hand and get access to a better choice of equipment. I’m right handed but as I sit on the left these days I have to fly with my left hand... doesn’t take long to get used to it even after years of flying with the right beforehand.

Associate
The Flightstick Pro by CH Products is ambidextrous. It looks pretty basic and has a limited number of buttons but is built like a tank. I've still got the gameport version I bought in 1995 for Wing Commander IV. Whilst not as immersive as a dedicated throttle, the Flightstick Pro has a very basic throttle dial on the left of the joystick base. CH make a dedicate throttle as well although it looks to be designed for use in the left-hand only.

Soldato
it looks to be designed for use in the left-hand only.

As a fellow leftie, this is always the problem. Left-handed or ambidextrous sticks are fairly easy to come by. Right hand throttles on the other hand? Nope. The best solution?

just learn to fly with the right hand and get access to a better choice of equipment.

This^

It's like scissors. You can get leftie scissors. But life is just easier if you learn to use normal ones.

Back
Top Bottom