Vodafone Gigafast

Associate
Does anyone have any experience with Vodafone gigafast?

I've had a letter through the door from Vodafone saying FTTP is now available at my property with the following options:

100Mbps = £25
200Mbps = £28
500Mbps = £33
900Mbps = £43

Prices seem decent and I'm tempted to go for the 500Mbps option at £33. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience of this service specifically with Vodafone?

Soldato
Get it while you can at that price, that promotion ends on the 8th October I believe. It's a bargain for the price... Am with Gigafast myself @ 900Mbps (£52/mo)
No complaints, no drops since installation and has been working perfectly.
Very low jitter and stable ms. ;) l6r74yn.png

Associate
I was just about to post about this as my contract with BT is up on the 4th October and Vodafone is looking like my next ISP.

Their website says I can get up to 900Mbps, but can't order online and I have to call them. Prices listed are as above. Add £8 pm for their 'Extra - For just £8 more a month, any plan can be upgraded to Extra – with Anytime landline and mobile calls included, no price rises, and Apple TV 4K on us.' looks like a good deal too.

I'd prefer to go via TCB/Quidco and was going to wait until the end of the month to see if online ordering became available, but if there's a chance those prices might not last then maybe I should call them...

The only issue is the last time I was with Vodafone (for mobile) I had 18 months of billing issues and not getting the freebies (Netflix) I was promised; I couldn't wait to leave them. I've had several years of trouble free service from BT (broadband and mobile).

I'm also tempted by the 500Mbps package.

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/broadband/deals/gigafast

Edit: Just found a webpage that mentioned the deal was running until 8th October, but I imagine it's also possible they could pull it earlier depending on uptake.

I didn't realise it was equal upload speed too! :D

Last edited:
Associate
Just on the phone to them now. They've confirmed I can get 500Mbps down, but it's 'only' 69 up.

Last edited:
Associate
Yes, she mentioned OR several times. And this article states Liverpool is via OR and not CF. I'm booked in for 15th October. Her system says it should be an overhead installation, but warned me sometimes a trench needs digging. There'll be a box outside and inside.

So I've gone for 500Mbps + Extra at £41pm for 24 months. I was actually looking to reduce my monthly bill, but considering I've now got up to 500/69 & Apple TV I'm happy. (I'm currently on 40/4.) BT are advertising 300Mbps for £50pm!

One other area that Vodafone needs to improve here is their presentation of upload speeds. The Cityfibre Gigafast packages are all symmetric speeds, while Openreach is asymmetric with slower uploads. In other words, the 1Gbps package might be the same price, but on Openreach your uploads will only be 115Mbps instead of 900Mbps+. At present they don’t make this aspect clear.

She also said she didn't think this would be orderable online for a while and likely not via TCB/Quidco. Who knows...but it's done now and there's a chance the price will go up.

Sorry djcj, I've hijacked your thread! :) But if you're still considering your options then at least now I can keep you updated on how my installation goes and how good VF/OR customer service is. ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
Not that I wouldn’t be willing to put up with a little agro, but Vodafone has the highest level of customer complaints this year in Q1, if something goes wrong, it may take more agro to resolve than going elsewhere.

Soldato
Not that I wouldn’t be willing to put up with a little agro, but Vodafone has the highest level of customer complaints this year in Q1, if something goes wrong, it may take more agro to resolve than going elsewhere.
Yup. One of a handful of companies I wouldn't touch with a bargepole personally.

An incompetent lying bunch of asshats.

Soldato
Yup. One of a handful of companies I wouldn't touch with a bargepole personally.

An incompetent lying bunch of asshats.

Context is everything. The level of complaints may be ‘high’ relative to the industry average, but if you look at the underlying data, it’s still a tiny, tiny number of people relative to the customer base. Besides, if you’ve ever seen the complaints that get logged by a national ISP, most have little or nothing to do with the ISP, obviously some do, and particular ISP’s will see increases in specific areas periodically due to change. A provider makes a change/increases prices or launches a new product, it’s generally accepted that they are likely to see increased faults and complaints. Also due to the way complaints are classed against subscribers rather than services, the data doesn’t reflect things like customers having four services (TV/Broadband/Phone/Mobile) vs a user who has only one.

Associate
Not long after I got off the phone with VF my postie came. He delivered a 'To the occupier' letter, that was from...Vodafone! It was letting me know they are now providing Gigafast FTTP in my area. It's a sign!

Soldato
Cityfibre have been digging up the roads in Cambridge (On behalf of Vodaphone) so the 900Mbps will be available to me shortly (they did manage to put a spade though my virgin connection though which did not delight me). It's a very tempting package though.

Soldato
I've got the 500mb due to be installed in a week or so, it was suppose to have been wed but they messed up. But now getting it at the same price as the 200mb, and I've got a spare router that they didn't seem to care about.
Not the best start to the service and my voda fttc has been pretty sucky from the start, you'd think I'd have learned from this...

Associate
So they're giving you 500Mpbs for £28pm as compensation for the bad start? Is that for the full 24months? Not too shabby. But yeah, I can see why one could also think it's bad start to the relationship. Hopefully not.

Does anyone know much about the equipment they send you? I've never used my BT router/modem. I got an openreach modem from the very start and used my own routers. Last year I bought the Netgear Orbi RBK50 (router with 1 satellite). Was hoping to keep using it.

Soldato
Essentially yep. Though as a mobile customer I get a discount and theve offered 500 for 200 in the past on deals gone by, so not as good as it sounds :)

I think they let you use your own equip but there can't be many none industrial routers able to handle the throughput on the wan side.

Soldato
Sure. It's probably a drop in the ocean.

But I've never been flat out mislead and lied (to my face and over the phone) to several times in the space of a month by any company except Vodafone. They only gave a flip after the cancellations to all services with them were put in and they still never apologised.

They well and truly burned their bridge to my custom both personal and business.

Associate
Wow. That sounds serious and I'd probably feel the same way about it as you. I have a vague memory of saying something similar about them several years ago over my mobile phone contract. But tide and time...and the promise of 500Mbps for £33pm have pushed that promise to one side. :)

Does anyone have any experience of the installation? At the moment I'm agonising over where they're going to put the ONT inside and outside.

Last edited:
Soldato
Sure. It's probably a drop in the ocean.

But I've never been flat out mislead and lied (to my face and over the phone) to several times in the space of a month by any company except Vodafone. They only gave a flip after the cancellations to all services with them were put in and they still never apologised.

They well and truly burned their bridge to my custom both personal and business.
They sound just like Virgin.

Associate
I have an update on the service quality of Vodafone - I logged into my new online account to check a few details, only to discover my order has been cancelled. 30 minutes on live chat and then the telephone and they have confirmed that due to an unspecified 'technical error' my order has indeed been cancelled.

I now need to consider whether to place my order again. I imagine the date I had agreed will now be unavailable, which will mean the added inconvenience of changing days off at work. Ugh.

Back
Top Bottom