• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Why are people holding out for a RTX 3080 with 20GB VRAM?

Associate
A year? You are going to be waiting at least 2 years.

That makes it sound more of a niche product. It's DX IO first which RTX IO will support, I think anyway.
I've heard that but not kept up with PC graphics cards release dates. That sucks if it's 2 years then but if that's what is needed to get to the point of where I want to invest (happy to play on current laptop / PS5 until then) I suppose it will just be a bit of a wait lol. Doubt I can hold out that long so will likely just upgrade my laptop when the mobile version of 3070 comes round and give up on the 4k 120fps dream for now.

Soldato
I hope the 20GB card comes out and everyone leaps on it, leaving stock of the 10GB for the sensible buyers that understand how VRAM works :p.

apparently people still play Skyrim and load it up with 8k texture mods that break the 2080ti's vram so those people are looking at the 3090

Soldato
It only makes sense to hold on for the 20GB card if you intend you keep your GPU's for more than 2yrs, 10GB won't become any kind of problem in that sort of timeframe and then you can upgrade to the new 40xx cards which will come with more VRAM, as the cost of GDDR6X will have fallen to allow it.

Soldato
It only makes sense to hold on for the 20GB card if you intend you keep your GPU's for more than 2yrs, 10GB won't become any kind of problem in that sort of timeframe and then you can upgrade to the new 40xx cards which will come with more VRAM, as the cost of GDDR6X will have fallen to allow it.

that's the sensible option yes

10gb is right on the cusp for 4k gaming and in a year or so it will be a problem but then just buy the 4080 with the money saved by not buying a 3090

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
that's the sensible option yes

10gb is right on the cusp for 4k gaming and in a year or so it will be a problem but then just buy the 4080 with the money saved by not buying a 3090
I see you are changing your tune on this topic also. Well done my boy, bit slow on getting there, but the main thing is you have and by doing so demonstrated you are not stubborn like some here who will defend a lost cause to death as they do not want to admit they were wrong ;)

Back
Top Bottom