[PIC_THREAD] Landscapes, Architecture, Seascapes

Man of Honour
Sunset, just a few minutes away from me.

50232268138_a803b19790_k.jpg

Soldato
Dawn at Elvaston Castle last week. My first photography outing of the year and my first Explored photo on Flickr for over 5 years!

Elvaston Castle [Explored 20.09.2020] by Steve Millward, on
Flickr

I like this photo. Sky looks great. Excuse me for the questions, just trying to learn more. Was the sky that moody or did you have to do a lot of processing to get it like that? Did you use any filter? And also, your exif says 100 ISO and 1 second exposure. What did 1 second exposure do to the photo? Thanks.

Associate
I like this photo. Sky looks great. Excuse me for the questions, just trying to learn more. Was the sky that moody or did you have to do a lot of processing to get it like that? Did you use any filter? And also, your exif says 100 ISO and 1 second exposure. What did 1 second exposure do to the photo? Thanks.

Thank you :)

The sky was very moody and colourful. Didn't have to do too much in Lightroom. For a week or so end of August/start of September we were blessed with some great sunrises/sunsets.

I used a Lee 0.9 hard grad filter to keep the sky in check and shutter speed was 1 second simply to expose the image properly as the light was quite low when i shot this.

Soldato
Thank you :)

The sky was very moody and colourful. Didn't have to do too much in Lightroom. For a week or so end of August/start of September we were blessed with some great sunrises/sunsets.

I used a Lee 0.9 hard grad filter to keep the sky in check and shutter speed was 1 second simply to expose the image properly as the light was quite low when i shot this.

Thanks for your answers, Steve. So the 1 second exposure was just to avoid raising the ISO and introducing noise, is that right? And you couldn't widen the aperture from f8 to take more light in because it would have changed the sharpness of some of the background in the image? Did you use a remote or self timer? I'm thinking I should buy a remote to avoid any movement at all on the tripod.

Associate
Thanks for your answers, Steve. So the 1 second exposure was just to avoid raising the ISO and introducing noise, is that right? And you couldn't widen the aperture from f8 to take more light in because it would have changed the sharpness of some of the background in the image?

Correct.

I didn't want to widen the aperture as i wanted f/8 for optimal sharpness. I was on a tripod using a cable release and there was not a breath of wind, so the shutter speed was whatever it needed to be to avoid raising the ISO.

Soldato
Correct.

I didn't want to widen the aperture as i wanted f/8 for optimal sharpness. I was on a tripod using a cable release and there was not a breath of wind, so the shutter speed was whatever it needed to be to avoid raising the ISO.

Thanks. :) I'll do some googling now to learn about what a Lee 0.9 hard grad filter is.

Back
Top Bottom