• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

When are the RTX 3090 reviews out

Associate
I feel sorry for anyone who just bought it on good faith and didn't see the reviews / performance. If you have other uses for it then fair enough but as a gaming card it's not even worth it. Even by the old logic of the better performing cards increasing in cost dramatically it's still well off the chart of miserable gains. The 3070 and 3080 have been pretty solid releases and gained big compared to previous gen which is why it's a big surprise but the 3090 just exemplifies the idea of getting ripped off.

It does seem they hit a limit with these cards so there's just scraps of overclocking capable on them and high energy / heat. Hopefully they can improve on this down the line but I'm definitely happy to hold out at the moment.

Soldato
With FE though they have to produce the Card, RAM and Cooler...with AIB, don't they sell them just the Chip itself and the Partner created the cooler, Card and buys the VRAM?....I reckon they make far more from AIB sales...just selling the chip.
Could be right there. I assumed most of the time the AIB's received complete unit minus the cooler and possibly connectors for power, giving them options about relocating or modifying power delivery.
Makes you wonder why even bother trying with the FE's if that's the case tho - might as well just knock out blower style. Lets see if FE's available to buy is a rare event.

I've knocked up a quick simple kind of bot now to see if it'll help me snag something if they do become available(3080 FE only) :D. Only going to run it during the day when I'm nearby. I think nothing is going to happen now for weeks however. It won't complete a purchase, just provide some info. Might not even work as difficult to test it fully

Last edited:
Soldato
Tells me they only expect people to buy it for work and are not expecting to sell many for gaming.

Makes sense as gaming performance over the 3080 is woeful in terms of price/performance.

Credit where credit is due given then perf. of the 3090 they could have charged £900 for the 3080, I presume they didn't do that because of Big NAVI, so even though AMD haven't even launched a card it had kept Nvidia honest.

Soldato
Makes sense as gaming performance over the 3080 is woeful in terms of price/performance.

Credit where credit is due given then perf. of the 3090 they could have charged £900 for the 3080, I presume they didn't do that because of Big NAVI, so even though AMD haven't even launched a card it had kept Nvidia honest.

What they should really have done is sold the 3090 cheaper, maybe £1200. I suspect the reason they didn't do that is yields. I don't think they have enough chips of sufficient quality to produce the 3090 in quantity. That cooler is probably expensive too so maybe not enough margin in it for them?

TrM

TrM

Associate
What they should really have done is sold the 3090 cheaper, maybe £1200. I suspect the reason they didn't do that is yields. I don't think they have enough chips of sufficient quality to produce the 3090 in quantity. That cooler is probably expensive too so maybe not enough margin in it for them?

the 1-1.2k is we’re the 3080 20gb will drop Into I personally feel that the 3080 had to have lesser ram to hit a price point of 699 then they we do a slightly upgraded 20gb version to replace the 2080 ti. The 3090 is that price because it’s nvidia and they can charge what they like:) not saying the 3090 is a bad card far from it buts it’s nvidia top card atm and I turn comes a price premium.

Associate

Doubt the margins would be there at that price, plus it would become more appealing to more people thus increasing demand, and it doesn't leave an obvious pricing gap to be filled later.

Soldato
GN is meant to have a teardown coming later today, the pcb would be a bit different to accommodate more ram.
derbauer has already stripped a 3080 OC and 3090 back to their board and did some shunt mod and water cooling. basically conventional overclocking doesnt give you much, using synthetic benchmark, performance gain is pitiful.

Caporegime
the 1-1.2k is we’re the 3080 20gb will drop Into I personally feel that the 3080 had to have lesser ram to hit a price point of 699 then they we do a slightly upgraded 20gb version to replace the 2080 ti. The 3090 is that price because it’s nvidia and they can charge what they like:) not saying the 3090 is a bad card far from it buts it’s nvidia top card atm and I turn comes a price premium.

Nah £1.1 to £1.2k is too much for the 3080 20gb. It needs to be below £1000. I have now seen two different sources quote the 308- 20gb will be $899 and the other had the asus at $999 (which nmeans they can both be right as that is standard Asus tax)

They will sell well at those prices./

Of course since there will be no FE 20gb cards and looking at AIb prices, even $899 will mean a range of £850 to £1050 between AIBs.

TrM

TrM

Associate
Nah £1.1 to £1.2k is too much for the 3080 20gb. It needs to be below £1000. I have now seen two different sources quote the 308- 20gb will be $899 and the other had the asus at $999 (which nmeans they can both be right as that is standard Asus tax)

Of course since there will be no FE 20gb cards and looking at AIb prices, even $899 will mean a range of £850 to £1050 between AIBs.

i think ddr6x wont be cheap and whilst they will set a 899 price point it wont be sold at that price. I do agree with that 1k-1.2k is to much for a 3080 20gb but

but i cant see us getting a 3080 anywere near the £649.99 price point for quite a while and if the 3080 prices settle at lests say £749.99 can u see aib makers bringing in a card prices at 849.99? they all will be closer to 1k at launch price. This is just how i see it going on current situation and previous gpus form nvidia:(

Associate
derbauer has already stripped a 3080 OC and 3090 back to their board and did some shunt mod and water cooling. basically conventional overclocking doesnt give you much, using synthetic benchmark, performance gain is pitiful.

From what I saw on the 3090 Gaming he stripped down it's the same board as the 3080 Eagle. It's just more populated, and it has memory chips on the back of the PCB as well.

Caporegime

yet goes against the results for the Asus Strix OC. Purely on air, that card gives a 18% performance gain compared to its 22% overclock to a stock 3090 FE.

Which shows it as pretty linear. It doesnt help in Derbauer that he is using a Gigabyte board and just watercooling the gpu and not the memory and power chokes. I mean he only gets to 350W power draw and 1935Mhz boost.

The asus goes to 480W power draw without a shunt mod have seen several reviews now which state the limit on the 3 series for your overclocking and performance is the power draw.

There is another reviewer out there who has worked out with the power system and chips Asus has used, the board will handle 850W so that is what he is going to shunt mod it too.

Caporegime
i think ddr6x wont be cheap and whilst they will set a 899 price point it wont be sold at that price. I do agree with that 1k-1.2k is to much for a 3080 20gb but

but i cant see us getting a 3080 anywere near the £649.99 price point for quite a while and if the 3080 prices settle at lests say £749.99 can u see aib makers bringing in a card prices at 849.99? they all will be closer to 1k at launch price. This is just how i see it going on current situation and previous gpus form nvidia:(

Lol I did say that just cause the suggested list price is set at $899, that doesnt mean we will be able to buy one from an AIB for £850. I reckon cause of demand they will all be £1000, some like the asus rog strix will be £1100 perhaps

But in general the 1.1 to 1.2k is too high of a range.

Soldato

Agreed I see it fuilling a gap which will be £999 for the 20gb, and then when they realise they dont have the market to themselles, they may either have to reduice the 3090 and rebadge as a 3080TI or release a 3080TI but the problem there is, it'll go into 3090 territory as the 3090 isn't really much quciker than a 3080... tricky for nVidia now with how they have released really....

Back
Top Bottom