• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Rtx 3080 lower quality capacitor Issue

Associate
Duncan Reay, thanks for taking the time to undertake this for us and the details posted.

I'm with you with regards to being content with the card not clocking over 2GHz. I gather that your happy with the card and that's promising to hear! Fingers crossed mine arrives soon :)

Thanks again bud!

Yes very happy with it. I am now patiently waiting for LG and NVIDIA to fix the GSYNC bug on my LG C9 OLED TV as this HDMI 2.1 card was bought just to utilise the true capability of that TV, which should be able to now do 4K 120Hz uncompressed RGB (4:4:4) with HDR and GSYNC. However right now GSYNC has to be disabled due to it glitching and LG has promised a fix. So yes this inability to boost past 2GHz is a non issue for me since my card at stock doesn't do this and still actually runs recent games on my 4K TV above 100 FPS which is nuts!

Associate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkTgYMlCl4E
TLDR: All card ran stable out of the box, all cards crashed when further OC'd to above 2GHz, Zotac Trinity was worst offender
3080 FE, ASUS TUF OC, GIG GAMING OC and ZOTAC Trinity were the four cards tested
Also he was playing SOTR at 4K for each test

This is just one test so I don't expect anyone to take it as gospel but likewise you shouldn't just be accepting one test done by someone else either. The point highlighted in this test shows that all cards including FE are affected by the issue when the clock spikes into the 2GHz range. Something that seemingly doesn't occur very often at stock clocking, in fact for most cards he's able to OC most of them slightly as well and still being stable with below 2GHz threshold. Ultimately a patch/firmware update will ensure the clocks don't reach that crashing threshold at all when stock and if you're OCing it yourself then all bets are out of the window in terms of stability anyway.

Soldato
You chaps should check this out, if you have not done so already.
https://youtu.be/U5pBDEtH5Jk?t=4395

If that works for everyone it's an easy fix. Find the clock speed at which it crashes and lower voltage to just 0.1/0.2mV under that and the card will be stable without losing more than 1% or so performance.

And again, if this works for everyone then the causes of these crashes looks like it's caused by the voltages spiking very high as soon as these cards hit 2000mhz

Associate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkTgYMlCl4E
TLDR: All card ran stable out of the box, all cards crashed when further OC'd to above 2GHz, Zotac Trinity was worst offender
3080 FE, ASUS TUF OC, GIG GAMING OC and ZOTAC Trinity were the four cards tested
Also he was playing SOTR at 4K for each test

This is just one test so I don't expect anyone to take it as gospel but likewise you shouldn't just be accepting one test done by someone else either. The point highlighted in this test shows that all cards including FE are affected by the issue when the clock spikes into the 2GHz range. Something that seemingly doesn't occur very often at stock clocking, in fact for most cards he's able to OC most of them slightly as well and still being stable with below 2GHz threshold. Ultimately a patch/firmware update will ensure the clocks don't reach that crashing threshold at all when stock and if you're OCing it yourself then all bets are out of the window in terms of stability anyway.
His Gigabyte Gaming OC has less than the 1800MHz factory boost clock mine does, and his power slider allows movement above 100% where mine doesn't. I've still not had a CTD with my card, and I've left it stock.

Permabanned
So this is mainly the internet getting in a tizz because cards become unstable when overclocked past a specific point?

Like all GPU's ever?

Kinda. But it can also be unstable at manufacturers over-clocks. All this really means is, if you pay extra for an OC model you are wasting your money because you probably can't run it past stock.

Associate
Is this true? If so, I'm pleased!

I have the Eagle on preorder and have been looking out for issues with it but haven't seen anyone specifically say they have had any.

Has anyone here who has received a Gigabyte card had these issues, or seen anyone with one mention that they have?? I know it appears to be the whole 3080 series model but there is so much speculation and **** talking going on right now...

It is true. One of the user in this fourm had no issues passing over 2ghz and it was stable.

Associate
I dont understand how people say it is fine as long as you get the advertised speed. The 3080 FE boosts around 1800 to 1900mhz. The AIB models do 1900 and above 2000 mhz but crashes. But you have to lower the clock speeds even though you are paying a premium price which is over MSRP which is anywhere from £75 to £250 over MSRP. Whats the point of paying for a card that has a better VRMs and power delivery system if it cant overclock over 2ghz and perform the same as card thats is cheaper for example a 3080 FE due to lowering power limit and clock speeds.

Caporegime
Kinda. But it can also be unstable at manufacturers over-clocks. All this really means is, if you pay extra for an OC model you are wasting your money because you probably can't run it past stock.

But if they are advertising the OC boost as say - 1800Mhz and the GPU is actually boosting to 2000+ and having issues, then it's exceeding their stated performance metrics.

Associate
Apparantly, evga fixed this problem by using 4+2 config instead of all POSCAPs for the FTW3 gaming and ultra. Also for the xc3 varient, it is 5+1 config instead of all POSCAPs. They claim that it will be fine but I do wonder if these card still have this issue.

Soldato
Associate
I dont understand how people say it is fine as long as you get the advertised speed. The 3080 FE boosts around 1800 to 1900mhz. The AIB models do 1900 and above 2000 mhz but crashes. But you have to lower the clock speeds even though you are paying a premium price which is over MSRP which is anywhere from £75 to £250 over MSRP. Whats the point of paying for a card that has a better VRMs and power delivery system if it cant overclock over 2ghz and perform the same as card thats is cheaper for example a 3080 FE due to lowering power limit and clock speeds.

The advertised speeds are the manufacturer’s commitment/obligation to the customer. They don’t “owe” you anything more than that. Whatever you get from the GPU boost algorithm is icing on the cake. This is a luxury product and a completely optional purchase. You (as a consumer) decide whether you want to pay the extra money for what has been promised. If you don’t like it don’t buy it. If enough people do this then the manufacturer knows that they need to do better next time.

Associate
So this is mainly the internet getting in a tizz because cards become unstable when overclocked past a specific point?

Like all GPU's ever?

Not quite, some AIB cards are overclocked too much out of the box, boosting over 2Ghz and crashing at stock. -30Mhz fixes mine, -15Mhz possibly fixes it but I'm currently playing with limiting it to 1995Mhz and undervolting. It will still run Firestrike at 2085Mhz+, but crashes every so often in some games when over 2Ghz.

Back
Top Bottom