Brake hose clip bolt sheared - MOT?

Associate
So I failed an MOT on the 987 last week due to the end of a coil spring having snapped off which I hadn't noticed due to how small it was.

Great, I thought, a good excuse to refresh the front suspension. So after buying all the new hardware (including new stops, boots, top hat bearings etc) for both front corners I set about getting it sorted this weekend.

Everything went perfectly, except.... A tiny M6 (10mm head) bolt that clips the brake line to the hub, sheared on me. (which i was only taking off to make sure I didn't stretch it when I took the strut out). I've put everything else back together, and the brake calliper does a fine job of clipping the hose to the hub by itself. Obviously, I will get this fixed, but I don't have a bolt extractor kit here (just ordered one). My question, is this an MOT failure in itself? Having the rigid brake line, not quite as supported as it should be?
Looking at it, I see no concern but I don't want to go there and fail again just over this. If its fine, I'd quite like to get it passed so that I'm ready to drive as soon as I (hopefully) get the bolt out next weekend.

Pass or fail Motors?

Soldato
Is there short length of solid (non flexible) pipe between the end of the flexible hose and the caliper? If so the hose must be fixed to the upright or strut to prevent the solid pipe being cracked through fatigue.

(a) Brake pipe is at imminent risk of failure or fracture Dangerous

(b) Leaking brake pipe or connection:
(i) on an air brake system Major
(ii) on a hydraulic system Dangerous

(c) Brake pipe damaged or excessively corroded Major

(d) Brake pipe:
(i) inadequately clipped or supported Minor
(ii) likely to become detached or damaged Major

It won't fail immediately so probably not a Dangerous failure, but it's likely o fall under either d (i) or d (ii) if spotted so a possible failure.

Associate
OP

Thanks this was exactly the sort if knowledgeable answer I was after. I didn't realise the solid bit was the difference.

The answer is yes there's a short solid bit just after the clip that does a right angle just before the calliper. I don't remember having that on previous cars.

Okay in that case I guess I'll have to wait for the extractor kit to come. Wish me luck. A tiny 6mm steel bolt is going to be fun to try and screw out.....

Back
Top Bottom