• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What a pickle new buyers are in.

Associate
OP, sorry about your health problems - feel for you. On a totally unrelated topic, you mention that you are a worrier etc, have you ever read a book called The Chimp Paradox? If not, you might want to pick up a copy as it might help you a bit.

My 1080Ti has been out of warranty for quite a while. If it went bang right now, it would be a pain in the arse as I skipped Turing hoping to go with something after that - but worst case scenario, I'd pick up a second hand GPU from the likes of CEX with a guarantee and run that until the current supply problems die down. Just something for you to consider.

Just keep on using the 980Ti. There are a lot of people on here who rushed to sell their GPUs who would quite happily bite your arm off for it :D

Soldato
I sold my 1080 Ti and maybe that was a bit premature as it turns out.

Regardless bought a B Grade RX 5600XT which is very similar in performance to a 980 Ti and it's still able to give decent frame rates on an Acer X34 34" UW monitor.

Associate
As a previous 980Ti owner who couldn’t wait and got a 2080, I would recommend you wait for AMD to deliver their new GPU’s and maybe by then will the supply issues abate somewhat.

I’m also having a ‘first world problems’ myself where I can’t decide if I should build a new PC exclusively for VR and Couch gaming in the living room, but when you’re obsessed with how your whole setup is arranged and love (or have to) spend a lot of your time at home, this stuff matters. So you want your PC parts to be just right, a good fit with a good warranty to boot. Makes sense to see the 3080 vs 5800 picture unfold, fully.

Associate
As many others have said, I don´t think your card is suddenly going to die a tragic death :). You will probably be able to use it until there is stock of the new ones and beyond.

Associate
Before anybody jumps on me with "first world problems" My PC is my eyes to the world. I am severely sight impaired (registered blind) and having MS it means everything to me as I am pretty broken.

I had been waiting for the new cards to come out and have been saving for a long time to replace my 980ti as it will soon be out of warranty.

So why the pickle? Well just look at the mess the market is in now. Nvidia launching the 30 series means the current crop of 20 series cards is now a diminishing ROI as is availability.

AMD launching big Navi at the end of October also means the RT 50 series are in the same boat.

My choice the 3070, is delayed possibly to counter the AMD launch and/or to potentially to allow AIB's to get "some" stock in (judging from the 3080 launch they will need to) plus there will be a price hike after initial RRP launch prices have been sold.

So what to do? what to DO!!

Wait it out and see how the market plays out over the 5 gen consoles launch, most likely into next year?

Grab a 20 series (Zotec my preference as the 5-year warranty) but cry a little each time I fire up my PC.

I am open to AMD (I only went green after I got ill and had been red most of my PC building life) but again stock, ROI and the painful niggles the 50 series has had with drivers.

Or just hope my venerable card holds out till the market cools down and the "event" at the end of January does not cause a massive hike in prices?

I will add I am the worlds worst worrier....

What are you running at this moment ?
I ask as if you have a machine running at all at this moment surely it will continue to run until there is gpu stock in the coming weeks ?

There is no drama but that which you make dude and if a gpu was that important to you, you’d already have a half decent one in your pc is the reality.
The delay has several advantages
It lends itself to you tucking away more funds to get something a bit better surely ?
This delay in stock is actually a good thing for all of us, because it lets the early adopters be the unpaid beta testers, gives you a chance to see what big Navi has to offer later this month and also lets you pick a card with a decent amount of memory in the near future and not just the 10gb version as the ampere cards will shortly be in 16 and 20gb flavours - so you’ll be spoilt for choice soon.

Patience young Padawan because all these “lucky” early adopters and scalpers will be stuck with cards few people want soon over the larger memory models
The other option if you really cannot wait is to buy yourself a cheap 2080ti for about 500 quid on flea bay, they will be every bit as good as a 3070 especially something like a Strix oc which will overclock really well.

Associate
And as for being the worlds worst worrier I can tell you ultimately there are for more important things to worry about than a gpu
The 980 won’t suddenly go pop if you keep it dust free and your system is cooled adequate and if it does Simply buy a second hand 2000 series to tide you over
Worrying is pointless and actually counter productive - there is no point whatsoever ever worrying about things you cannot change - only the things you can

Run the scenario in your mind now
Pop your gpu has died

What do you do - ? Erm buy another one . Drama over
Now take a drama check dude - there really is none

Soldato
Hi, I have a visual condition too. I had to buy a 40" 4k TV, came recommended by someone in the monitors sub forum, a few years ago. I have the desktop scaling set for that. Much better to view bigger text on the screen.

I have a gtx1080, an I'm waiting to see what big navi will bring. I'm not bothered about ray tracing, only 4k with very high settings.

Soldato
OP
Hi, I have a visual condition too. I had to buy a 40" 4k TV, came recommended by someone in the monitors sub forum, a few years ago. I have the desktop scaling set for that. Much better to view bigger text on the screen.

I have a gtx1080, an I'm waiting to see what big navi will bring. I'm not bothered about ray tracing, only 4k with very high settings.

I run 1080p on a 27inch Tn panel, wanting to go to 1440p.

However, I have to be very close to the screen as I have very bad peripheral vision. Going bigger would mean that I would have to look directly at the screen more than I do now to see specific detail.
I play GTAO with a few people. However, I am unable to do PVP because I can't view the radar and see in front of me, so I am literal cannon fodder lol. I stick to SP games with a large UI. A bigger screen would make that task a lot more of a challenge. As it is we have a 42" tv my Mrs watches as I can't view it unless I am right next to it and she complains I am in the way. So I rely totally on my PC :p

Soldato
One thing to bear in mind with a new card. As already posted above, availability is terrible for Nvidia, and likely will be for AMD when their new cards come out. Even if you do manage to get a new one in warranty, if the card goes pop then you are unlikely to be getting a replacement in short timescales

Back
Top Bottom