P20 pro upgrade to?

Associate
Daughter needs a new phone so I will pass mine on and take the opportunity to get something newer.
Needs good cameras and a bit bigger screen would be nice. Budget around £500.

Soldato
TBH things haven't moved on that far in two and a half years. New models around the £500 mark aren't going to be an upgrade. Many will be a downgrade in some respects.

The best value will be on clearance sales and refurbished handsets for models like the P30 Pro and Note 10. Both better handsets than current mid-rangers, offering some improvements over a P20 Pro (though incremental improvements, rather than anything revolutionary).

Soldato
i have p20pro too. camera is still very good. probably too good for the phone. you'll struggle to find a phone with better camera for £500.

maybe p30 pro

Soldato
I've got a P20 Pro and have decided when 5G is readily available around here, I'll probably go for a One Plus 8 Pro.

P20 is still a decent phone. I recently bought a Note 9 and sent it back as it didn't feel like an upgrade.

Note 10+ 5G would be in your budget too.

Soldato
Looking at the one plus 8 pro J lewis have it for 699

Great phone, camera not always the best. Also, the OnePlus 8T is due on 14 Oct, apparently with a flat screen (the 8 Pro's screen is very curved) and no wireless charging, but probably starting at less money than even the discounted 8 Pro. The 8T camera is unlikely to be an improvement over the one on the 8 Pro.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
Don't get a P30 Pro, they're horrendous... I've been using mine for nearly a year now and can't wait to change it for something else, only positive thing is I got it for £248 Brand New with warranty.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
care to tell us why they are horrendous. a work colleague got p30 pro and love the phone
Where do I start... Crap camera, crap UI, Huaweis bloatware, barely any updates that change anything, crap quality finish... It really feels like a Chinese crappy smartphone trying to look premium.

What did they cost new? 700-800£? I'm questioning my choice at £250, feel sorry for those who paid the full RRP price.

Permabanned
Daughter needs a new phone so I will pass mine on and take the opportunity to get something newer.
Needs good cameras and a bit bigger screen would be nice. Budget around £500.

Keep the old one for yourself and buy the LG G8s ThinQ for the daughter ;)

Soldato
Where do I start... Crap camera, crap UI, Huaweis bloatware, barely any updates that change anything, crap quality finish... It really feels like a Chinese crappy smartphone trying to look premium.

What did they cost new? 700-800£? I'm questioning my choice at £250, feel sorry for those who paid the full RRP price.
Sounds nothing like the P20 pro I had or P30 my wife has. Well built and good cameras. Huawei app integration is irritating occasionally, but really not that bad.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
Sounds nothing like the P20 pro I had or P30 my wife has. Well built and good cameras. Huawei app integration is irritating occasionally, but really not that bad.
What other phones did you have in the past? If you're used to Chinese QC, than I wouldn't be surprised that its 'good enough'.

What other phones did you have in the past? If you're used to Chinese QC, than I wouldn't be surprised that its 'good enough'.

Are you serious? Chineese QC?, companies like Huawei actually pushed other manufacturers to up their game, especially in the camera department, I've had iPhones, Moto G's, Nokia's, LG, Huawei, Samsung, Sony (never again), Honor and many more, I also setup phones for a lot of people, most recent s20 and OnePlus nord (that felt pretty poor quality), of all the phones I've played around with and/or owned Huawei phones feel very premium, also the cameras have always impressed me on the higher end Huawei phones, even the Mate 10 Pro had a decent camera and impressive dedicated B&W shooter.

Out of interest what do you find is an issue with the camera in the P30?

Last edited:
Permabanned
Sony (never again)

Sony needs to restart its smartphone business.
Make phone with modern design, not that terribly low screen-to-body ratio, smooth curves, get rid of the tall structure, make decent night shooting cameras, and most importantly - offer them for cheap, so people would buy them because they would be affordable.

Today - Sony's phones are a loud no-no.

Sony needs to restart its smartphone business.
Make phone with modern design, not that terribly low screen-to-body ratio, smooth curves, get rid of the tall structure, make decent night shooting cameras, and most importantly - offer them for cheap, so people would buy them because they would be affordable.

Today - Sony's phones are a loud no-no.

It's a shame really, Sony should be owning this sector, especially with their experience in sensors, optics, and displays, but their phones never seem to really hit the mark, partly sue to some strange design decisions I guess, and poor advertising.

Back
Top Bottom