What Restaurant did you eat at last night?

Soldato
Yesterday afternoon, we attended Miller and Carter in Dartford. A steak house.

The first time we'd eaten out since late Feb.

Reduced menu here

It was strange but good. Strange because we hadn’t eaten out for a while, there was a one way system in the restaurant, you had to scan in on arrival and use wipes. They delivered drinks and fresh cutlery on special trays and asked you to remove them yourself.

There was a safety briefing and they visibly cleaned our table in front of us when we arrived. You also pay via app at your table so all contactless.

The food was really good. Father in law was a retired director of Smithfield meat market so had a lot of connections and always knew the best places to go. (He's now passed)

MrsHB had the 16oz ribeye and I had a steak burger. Next time we’re going to have the chateaubriand

We both had 3 courses plus drinks and it was £95 which we didn’t think was bad.

61920211811-E93-E60-B3-085-E-4834-A958-EF209680-C07-D.jpg

61920214316-01-C266-B1-E7-C6-4-ABA-B2-B0-367785918-BC2.jpg

IMG-0474.jpg

IMG-0475.jpg

Soldato
Raby Hunt for the second time on Wednesday also stayed over in one off there rooms.

next ones are

Moor Hall in September
Gordon Ramsey’s in October
Aqua in Germany in November (if we get there)
Sat Bains in December

I really liked Raby Hunt, but the rooms are overpriced. £225/night or whatever they are now is just a bit too much for B&B.

I've stayed in the rooms at a few other restaurants and they've all had homemade cakes and biscuits in there to enjoy. No such thing there and as there was no price shown anywhere I assumed the G&T's were included in the price but no, if you want them both that'll be £30. They also charge service on top of that £30.

It also seemed a bit odd that the gin they had in the rooms wasn't available in the restaurant.

Can't fault the food though, that really was excellent.

Good call on Gordon Ramsey's and Sat Bains. Have you been before? The cheese trolley at GR is absolutely fantastic, almost as good as the one at Le Gavroche. Sat Bains is one of my favourite restaurants, we keep saying that we must go back soon.

Associate
I really liked Raby Hunt, but the rooms are overpriced. £225/night or whatever they are now is just a bit too much for B&B.

I've stayed in the rooms at a few other restaurants and they've all had homemade cakes and biscuits in there to enjoy. No such thing there and as there was no price shown anywhere I assumed the G&T's were included in the price but no, if you want them both that'll be £30. They also charge service on top of that £30.

It also seemed a bit odd that the gin they had in the rooms wasn't available in the restaurant.

Can't fault the food though, that really was excellent.

Good call on Gordon Ramsey's and Sat Bains. Have you been before? The cheese trolley at GR is absolutely fantastic, almost as good as the one at Le Gavroche. Sat Bains is one of my favourite restaurants, we keep saying that we must go back soon.

There nice rooms stayed in them both times but like you said don’t get very much, only stay in them has we travel around 2 hours and it’s all under one roof.

no I’ve never been to sat Bains or Gordon Ramsey’s! Are they good ? We usually like to do stars out of the country, you been to many in other country’s ?

that’s good love a cheese trolley! Haha

Soldato
There nice rooms stayed in them both times but like you said don’t get very much, only stay in them has we travel around 2 hours and it’s all under one roof.

no I’ve never been to sat Bains or Gordon Ramsey’s! Are they good ? We usually like to do stars out of the country, you been to many in other country’s ?

that’s good love a cheese trolley! Haha

The rooms are nice enough, but expensive for what they are. There isn't a great deal of choice locally which isn't idea. It's about a 4 hour drive for us so heading home afterwards isn't an option.

Sat Bains is one of my top 3 favourite restaurants (the others being Osteria Francescana & Ynyshir) as the food is just amazing. Next time we go I'd like to do either the Chef's Table or Kitchen Bench. We have a habit of booking there last minute (often on the day when they tweet to say they've had a cancellation).

Gordon Ramsay was also fantastic, but not quite as fantastic as Sat Bains in my opinion. The cheese trolley is a masterpiece though, we were really spoilt for choice. I also seem to remember that the amuse bouche at GR were the best we've had.

Le Gavroche is well worth a look too. The food is about as classic French as it gets.

We've been to a few starred places outside of the UK. From memory... Olypme (Rio de Janiero), Osteria Francescana (Modena), El Cellar de Can Roca (Girona), Restaurant Patrick Guilbaud (Dublin), Eleven Madison Park (NYC), Peter Luger (NYC) & The River Cafe (NYC), & Ekstedt (Stockholm) There's others too that have been work things but the names escape me.

Soldato
We tried to book Sat Bains for my birthday next month, but they are fully booked :( So had to choose something else.

But we're all off the Asha's in Birmingham the following w/e, which was one of the best Indian restaurants I've been to before.

Consigliere
I really want to go to Japes. How was it?

Really good actually! I want to try a burger next (look ridic good on their insta page) as i have had a lot of pizza recently. :o

Dessert was simple and effective.

The pizzas, as you can see, are a decent surprise so do ask for a takeaway box but would recommend doing some slice swapping with friends. :)

aRQ8wBC.jpg

YtFnq3B.jpg

Soldato
Not sure I could eat at a place called Japes though :p Deep dish pizza seems to be the new "thing". I see Gizzi Erskine and Prof Green are doing a popup at a place called Passo.

Soldato
Went to a place called Thaikhun in Bath. I've only recently started having Thai food but I think I already prefer it over the Chinese that I've had.
It's a bit unfair though as I've not been to a Chinese restaurant that served much outside of our usual takeaway faves.

Last edited:
Soldato
Wednesday evening we ate at Restaurant Sat Bains. Utterly fantastic as usual.

The 10pm curfew was a pain in the arse, we had to wait out in the car park for the taxi. Not the fault of the restaurant but standing out in the rain wasn't ideal.

Soldato
Tried the Bay Tree in Melbourne (Derbyshire) a couple of weeks ago. Very pleasantly surprised.

Good portions, immaculately presented. The wine was superb. I have had many Michelin star meals that weren't as good.

Aperitifs, three courses and a bottle was ~£130 for 2 which was very reasonable considering the quality of the food. Haven't eaten that well since coming back to the UK. We ate off the A La Carte which was a mix of European and Asian food, plus there was a whole street food menu which looked excellent, need to go back and try it.

Soldato
Just got back from Wood in Manchester. Had the 7 course tasting menu. Food was amazing, service was great and Simon Wood himself was in charge. Portions were quite small and until the last course we were joking we may need a kebab on the way home :)

Soldato
Galvin La Chappelle yesterday, excellent as normal. Went there last summer they ballsed up my email request so when we left, promised me a bottle of champagne when we came back. Literally walked through the door and heard Franco say 'get the champagne'. Marvellous.

Today went to Humble Chicken in Soho - https://www.humblechickenuk.com

Kind of knew it would be good, what's not to like about Yakitori, but some of the non-chicken dishes were spectacular. The tuna and especially the pork belly were immense. The missus always avoids pork belly and ended up eating most of it. Well worth a visit and nice to sit at the table top and talk to the chefs whilst they cook,

Soldato
Booked in for a Vegan Night at The Quarterhouse in Lancaster in six weeks. Got some veggie friends who I thought might like it and I get to support local. I really want to do the Morecambe Bay seafood night a week later, but the tables for two are gone. We need a third diner or an extra couple.

Never heard of that place before, but that Morecambe Bay seafood menu sounds great.

I'd suggest joining you but i'm not sure my wife would be keen going for dinner with some "couple i've met on the internet" :p

Back
Top Bottom