• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

10GB vram enough for the 3080? Discuss..

Status
Not open for further replies.

fx1

fx1

Associate
Oh would you look at that, Ubisoft updated their requirements chart and the VRAM needed has gone from 11 to 10gb and now they recommend a 3080 over a 2080Ti for 4K. This was obviously going to happen as I said, but people were loving using the original requirements to point out how 10gb would not be enough. Who is laughing now? :D

Lol.jpg

VRAM has compression. You cannot compare 2080ti to 3080. Its like comparing 50L of petrol and 50L of diesel.

No matter what you think. 100GB of DDR3 VRAM will never outperform 8GB of GDDR6X in a game

Game system recommendations have always been rubbish. Id love to know why 1080p - 1440p suddenly needs double the system ram.... Since when do graphics ever have that impact on system ram used.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
VRAM has compression. You cannot compare 2080ti to 3080. Its like comparing 50L of petrol and 50L of diesel.

No matter what you think. 100GB of DDR3 VRAM will never outperform 8GB of GDDR6X.

Game system recommendations have always been rubbish. Id love to know why 1080p - 1440p suddenly needs double the system ram.... Since when do graphics ever have that impact on system ram used.
Yea, I never pay much attention to those. I did find it funny that people used it to try to prove 10gb was not enough when it was clear that was not the case :D

fx1

fx1

Associate
Yea, I never pay much attention to those. I did find it funny that people used it to try to prove 10gb was not enough when it was clear that was not the case :D

Yes the same with the people who are buying a 3090 because it has more VRAM.

Associate
Lol I have read the whole thread, now I feel safe buying a 3080 10gb, although i was already quite safe as I'm buying it for 1440p but yea im hoping to rock this bad boy for atleast 5 years!

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Lol I have read the whole thread, now I feel safe buying a 3080 10gb, although i was already quite safe as I'm buying it for 1440p but yea im hoping to rock this bad boy for atleast 5 years!
:D

Here let me posts some quotes for fun of what people were saying when the original watch dogs legion system requirements came out:

--------------------------
[to those who thought to never see requirement higher the 10gb]
So...tell me again how developers will only develop games based on using only 10gb again?

"It's not true I tell you...it's marketing last gen stuffs!"

Sadly, some will still buy the 3080 expecting to play Legions.
:p

Watch Dogs legion reccomends 11gb+ VRAM for 4k Ray Tracing - poor RTX3080, already out dated and beaten by the RTX2080ti as predicted.

Lol :D

Associate
Oh would you look at that, Ubisoft updated their requirements chart and the VRAM needed has gone from 11 to 10gb and now they recommend a 3080 over a 2080Ti for 4K. This was obviously going to happen as I said, but people were loving using the original requirements to point out how 10gb would not be enough. Who is laughing now? :D

I said this when people originally posted the chart, that the "specs" in those recommended lists were simply descriptions of the specific card they tested and recommended. It wasn't that they'd done some super accurate analysis of the game in 4k and determined that 11Gb was the right amount of vRAM, it was painfully obvious they tested with a 2080Ti which ran 4k the best, made that the recommended piece of hardware and simply stated that it has 11Gb of vRAM in the chart. Especially obvious considering the lower tiers which list other cards all perfectly line up with the vRAM on those cards as well. And would you know it, now the 3080 is recommended for 4k the vRAM now also matches that. I hope this puts a nail in the coffin of this stupid line of reasoning that 10Gb isn't enough because the CP2077 devs said so. Authority jam downs are dumb anyway.

Permabanned
Here let me posts some quotes for fun of what people were saying when the original watch dogs legion system requirements came out:

Watch Dogs legion reccomends 11gb+ VRAM for 4k Ray Tracing - poor RTX3080, already out dated and beaten by the RTX2080ti as predicted.

"It's not true I tell you...it's marketing last gen stuffs!"

Sadly, some will still buy the 3080 expecting to play Legions.
:p

We need a Roll of Shame :D:D:D:D:D Kaapstad?

Soldato
I said this when people originally posted the chart, that the "specs" in those recommended lists were simply descriptions of the specific card they tested and recommended. It wasn't that they'd done some super accurate analysis of the game in 4k and determined that 11Gb was the right amount of vRAM, it was painfully obvious they tested with a 2080Ti which ran 4k the best, made that the recommended piece of hardware and simply stated that it has 11Gb of vRAM in the chart. Especially obvious considering the lower tiers which list other cards all perfectly line up with the vRAM on those cards as well. And would you know it, now the 3080 is recommended for 4k the vRAM now also matches that. I hope this puts a nail in the coffin of this stupid line of reasoning that 10Gb isn't enough because the CP2077 devs said so. Authority jam downs are dumb anyway.

It was worse than that, the 6gb rx480 they recommended doesnt exist.

It was just hastily thrown together. I said it shouldnt be taken literally at the time ...

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

We need a Roll of Shame :D:D:D:D:D Kaapstad?

It was just hastily thrown together. I said it shouldnt be taken literally at the time ...

Haha. Yea, I said the same, but some just could not help themselves and jumped at the opportunity to say see, I told you so. Too much bias guys ;)

Funny thing is, now they have the 3080 that is recommended for 4K Ray Tracing ON and 2080Ti is no longer recommended for that. Hahahaha. Too funny after what Grim5 said. How many times now must one get things wrong before stopping and not acting like they know more than they actually do? @Grim5 :p

I bet instead of having some humility and saying they got it wrong these guys will double down their efforts and scour the web daily looking for an example of 10gb not being enough :D

Edit: If they ever made a Roll of Shame the likes of 4K8K, Grim5 etc would top it. Psycho Sonny may even make the list, he is up to the same thing in the CPU section. No humility, just keeps digging. Haha.

Last edited:
Soldato

No matter what you think. 100GB of DDR3 VRAM will never outperform 8GB of GDDR6X in a game

yeo like I said system requirements should never include vram and ram

Soldato
You're aware that before these cards launched, the majority of those playing at 4K60+ FPS were on 2080TI's. Do you know how much memory 2080ti's have?

2080ti is the bare minimum in terms of 4K at a comfortable FPS in AAA titles. 3000 series is the card that takes it mainstream.
I'm fully aware, i work in the game development industry. However just because current gen triple A games at 4k max settings where i mean every setting turned upto max may use up a 2070 super's vram doesn't mean that a 2070 super's grunt or vram amount is not enough for 4K gaming. Just your inability to understand how or why these settings exsist. Before the 3000 series cards were even a thing the amount of PC gamers with 2080Ti cards were a drop in the sea compared to PC gamers with GTX 1060's for example and they still are. We don't cater to ultra enthusiasts, we cater to the wider population.

Why do you thing multi GPU died?

Soldato

A game publisher we work with did this. We was asked to test minimum spec PCs which they said the minimum specs were non negotiable. Where they wanted a Intel i5 4460X cpu in one system and a I5 6500X in another. We tried telling them they didn't exsist until they realised they was wrong.

I can tell you now minimum and recomended are very rough guidelines.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Because they are fake news
Then you should be more wary, think twice before coming to conclusions so easily and don’t go propagating the fake news yourself. I and others told you why those specs were the way they were from Ubisoft, but you chose to ignore that as it was more convenient and it fit with the narrative you was spreading at the time.

Soldato
https://www.techpowerup.com/273302/nvidia-reportedly-moving-ampere-to-7-nm-tsmc-in-2021

Read between the lines, apply a little common sense and you'll see what's coming. A 20GB 3080TI, most likely same core just clocking higher/running cooler/lower TDP on TSMC 7nm. That'll be the one to get!

Just cancelled my 3090 Strix OC - I'm gonna chill with my Radeon VII until AMD show their hand, and Nvidia's show theirs. This launch has been horrible, good riddance!

Associate
Haha. Yea, I said the same, but some just could not help themselves and jumped at the opportunity to say see, I told you so. Too much bias guys ;)

Funny thing is, now they have the 3080 that is recommended for 4K Ray Tracing ON and 2080Ti is no longer recommended for that. Hahahaha. Too funny after what Grim5 said. How many times now must one get things wrong before stopping and not acting like they know more than they actually do? @Grim5 :p

I bet instead of having some humility and saying they got it wrong these guys will double down their efforts and scour the web daily looking for an example of 10gb not being enough :D

Edit: If they ever made a Roll of Shame the likes of 4K8K, Grim5 etc would top it. Psycho Sonny may even make the list, he is up to the same thing in the CPU section. No humility, just keeps digging. Haha.
The VRAM requirements were higher before, it's been downgraded? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom