Monitors with 60hz vs higher resolution

Associate
I game at 1080p 60hz (and 1ms) and have looked a couple of times at the better refresh rate (happy with what i have, but..), but have wondered how many people see a major difference between more than 60hz refresh rate and if so, is it enough to buy (as an example) a 144hz or is the difference minimal.

ty

Associate
Provided you have the graphics card to run it, high hz gaming is night and day better. Everything is smoother l.

I have both 1080p 165hz and 1440p g-sync monitors. Fantastic to game on.

Associate
OP
Provided you have the graphics card to run it, high hz gaming is night and day better. Everything is smoother l.

I have both 1080p 165hz and 1440p g-sync monitors. Fantastic to game on.

I forgot to add that my graphic card is the Asus 1060 6gb OC (DUAL-GTX1060-O6G) and can handle anything so far on ultra.

Soldato
Unless the 1060 can put out close to and around 100 FPS at settings and resolution you want, then there wouldn't be much point in getting a 144Hz monitor, unless you are going to buy a new monitor anyway.

Refresh rate and FPS go hand in hand, so there would be no difference in going from a 60Hz monitor to a 144Hz one, if the GPU were to still output a maximum of 60 FPS. It'll work fine, but the benefit of what the monitor is capable of, wouldn't be seen.

I recently bought a new 1080P 75Hz monitor. I did look at 144Hz models, but I don't play that many games. I'm not a serious enough of a gamer to spend the kind of money on a GPU that would have made getting a 144Hz monitor a good purchase. I still have a Rx470. :D

Soldato
Just got a 1440p 144hz monitor after using 60hz on my 1060 gfx card for years and Every game is now super smooth, especially cod warzone, it’s like a whole new game even though I only get around 60 to 80 fps.

Soldato
So long as the monitor can refresh faster than the fps range you looking to achieve you should see a gain in smoothness. You can have a high refresh but if the panel just overshoots because it's being overdriven you'll actually get a degradation in visual quality. So 75Hz 60fps is still a good match as the screen should be able to draw all the frames that the GPU is generating.

So from having played with a few monitors myself recently any decent 100Hz+ capable monitor should be able to provide enough performance for most people. One caveat I have found though is VA panels can benefit if the panel is even higher as it tends to offset the inherent slow response of darker tones. I prefer VA over IPS it's just taken a while for VA panels to match the IPS/TN response times without smear.

So the Dell 32" 165MHz VA monitor I just bought this week is going to replace my trusty X34 Predator 100Hz for my gaming monitor. Even though I'm temporarily using an RX 5600XT which achieves 50-60 fps in Horizon Zero Dawn with high settings. I'm very happy with the smoothness and complete lack of VA smear. The VRR/G-Sync support is good to have but the HDR400 is total marketing garbage and won't be being used ever.

I'd have been just as happy with a 100Hz, 120Hz, or 144Hz refresh so long as the panel is not being overdriven.

Soldato
I went all out and got a 165hz monitor, I can't see a difference from 60hz. I should have known really as I can't see a difference on my 90hz phone.

Happy with the 1440p over 1080p though I wish I'd gone for 4k at 60hz to be honest.

Back
Top Bottom