Boots pay £1.50 to collect instore

Charging for click-and-collect is daft in my opinion. If it was to your house, then yes, the driver has to make multiple stops to your house and other houses, but if it's to the store, then it should be free because the driver will be dropping other items off there too. E.g. Wilkinson's charges for home delivery, but click-and-collect is free.

Permabanned
Charging for click-and-collect is daft in my opinion. If it was to your house, then yes, the driver has to make multiple stops to your house and other houses, but if it's to the store, then it should be free because the driver will be dropping other items off there too. E.g. Wilkinson's charges for home delivery, but click-and-collect is free.

They must be charging a storage fee.

Soldato
Whenever I've done click and collect in boots, it's been bagged up in a postage packet. Presumably it goes to store from a central depot, rather than picked off the shelves.

It makes sense: the only reason I do it is when buying kids' vitamins, which are always 3 for 2, but almost always only have 1 or 2 on the shelf: they would struggle to fulfil from in store.

I always order enough to clear the delivery charge, though

Soldato
This kind of thing is why they are slowly being replaced by Amazon and ebay.

Pay money to do most of the work yourself, great....

Caporegime
They must be charging a storage fee.

Aren't they storing everything they sell anyway?

I hate click and collect fees for John Lewis but I understand it's because it is its own part within the store that requires its own space and its own staff running it.

So boots are likely following the same thinking that it requires additional work and space to offer such a service.

Supermarkets don't care because they make literally millions per store every week.

So you cannot compare a shop which has 20,000 customers per day Vs 500

Permabanned
Aren't they storing everything they sell anyway?

I hate click and collect fees for John Lewis but I understand it's because it is its own part within the store that requires its own space and its own staff running it.

So boots are likely following the same thinking that it requires additional work and space to offer such a service.

Supermarkets don't care because they make literally millions per store every week.

So you cannot compare a shop which has 20,000 customers per day Vs 500

I dunno but it appears to be on the rise for a payment for click and collect. They know they can make more money for it. Wait till they all doing it. :)

Caporegime
I dunno but it appears to be on the rise for a payment for click and collect. They know they can make more money for it. Wait till they all doing it. :)

All won't ever do it because if someone literally is cheaper people will go there instead.

If you have such an issue with £1.50 then just go and buy it normally. Then if it's not in stock would you rather have the items or the extra £1.50?

I don't care. I buy wherever makes sense.

The wife was like I need to buy this £3 item from IKEA. Which is a 30 minute drive away one way.

I'm like it's going to cost £5 in fuel plus all the wear and tear on the car to buy a £3 item. Just get it delivered or buy an alternative off Amazon since we have prime and get it next day.

Soldato
It's not free to take something off the shelf and pack it, nor to provide the website in the first place.

You'd also be surprised how many retailers that offer click and collect have sent the product from a central depot because stores and online don't work together.

It's this. Sorting out this stuff for businesses with software is pretty much my job. The fact there's 2-3 day lead time on a Click & Collect at Boots means it's coming from a distribution centre and not store stock. It's amazing how many businesses have no visibility of real time stock levels in store and so can't confidently reserve it for click and collect orders.

Soldato
OP
The wife was like I need to buy this £3 item from IKEA. Which is a 30 minute drive away one way.

I'm like it's going to cost £5 in fuel plus all the wear and tear on the car to buy a £3 item.
Many Women no seem to think about the car fuel costs & wear/tear when it comes to things like this or they just don't care

How many times have i heard where someone has driven an extra 5 to 10 miles to buy something because it on offer and there saving £1

Bit like some people will waste hours bidding on an item on ebay to save a few quid

Last edited:
Soldato
... you can just buy £20 worth, to get free click, and return all bar the goods you want later, at your leisure ...
like you might do for online clothes vendors, throw in some other items you might keep, just to get free delivery

Soldato
If you can get the stuff from Superdrug instead then they do free delivery over £10 for health and beauty card holders (just need to register online) ;)

I hardly ever use Boots as I can get the stuff elsewhere usually (the boots near me don't seem to sell certain stuff anyway) usually when I have ordered before it's for a gift which is picked and packed from a central depot and put on one if their delivery vans.

Back
Top Bottom