Vodafone Gigafast

Associate
I unfortunately couldn't secure time off work on the 8th so had to call them back last night to ask if the 15th was still available. After what seemed like an age on hold they said it was.

I log into my account this morning to check and it's been booked for the 20th.

Soldato
About 200Mbps.
It's only Speedtest.net, results history. If you sign up, it keeps all your results history.
I've just setup a scripted version using the Speedtest CLI, and a PowerShell script to dump results every 15 minutes into a text file, so I can graph in Excel instead and record the history myself.

I don't know how good these tests are though - at the same time as Speedtest.net dropping to about 200Mbps, the Microsoft speedtest App was telling me I was getting over 800.

Ah alright was wondering what it was... Thank you! - Are you using the same server for all tests to keep consistency between results?
Also I'd test around the different servers before picking one if you haven't done this already, since it does seem like some servers just can't handle the speeds...

Soldato
Yep, same server used always - but maybe that's the problem. Could be at certain points it's not able to cope. I think the CLI test I've got going just picks "the best one", whereas the website version I've manually picked the same one always.

Results of script so far:
Code:
25/09/2020 12:45+   Download:   805.41 Mbps (data used: 1.4 GB)                                     Upload:   743.78 Mbps (data used: 610.7 MB)                             
25/09/2020 13:00+   Download:   877.47 Mbps (data used: 463.6 MB)                                     Upload:   745.30 Mbps (data used: 548.2 MB)                             
25/09/2020 13:15+   Download:   931.64 Mbps (data used: 456.5 MB)                                     Upload:   744.40 Mbps (data used: 575.1 MB)                             
25/09/2020 13:30+   Download:   789.21 Mbps (data used: 940.7 MB)                                     Upload:   743.41 Mbps (data used: 362.2 MB)                             
25/09/2020 13:45+   Download:   782.39 Mbps (data used: 708.7 MB)                                     Upload:   745.77 Mbps (data used: 651.9 MB)

I'm pleased the latency has much improved at least on the new FTTP line.

Soldato
I unfortunately couldn't secure time off work on the 8th so had to call them back last night to ask if the 15th was still available. After what seemed like an age on hold they said it was.

I log into my account this morning to check and it's been booked for the 20th.
That's pants. I booked a AM slot on the 15th Sept. I then got an email later that day to say it was a PM slot on the 24th. Are the people on the phone looking at the wrong booking system or somthing?!!
Also, I've had text messages from Vodafone with variables that haven't been properly resolved, like:
"...an engineer will be visiting you on AAction.VF Appointment DateN between AAction.VF Appointment SlotN.....".
Rubbish system clearly.

Associate
It is a worry. I'm really hoping that once it's all up and running there will be no issues and I won't ever have to contact them again.

I called them again tonight and the agent was very apologetic, but confirmed the earliest available installation date is indeed the 20th. He tried to process my order as a new order in case any fresh dates were offered, but to no avail. The 20th it is. He said the take-up on this offer has been massive and they're having trouble providing installation dates. So what they guy from last night was doing when he said he'd booked me in for the 15th I have no idea! Bit peeved tbh. But very little I can do about it.

He also recommended I call BT and give my 30 days notice. So with an installation date of the 20th I'd get a useful overlap of 5 days and minimise the final bill from BT. I'm reluctant as I don't want BT to terminate my service too early, or risk losing my phone number.

One more thing he did say is that my new phone line is going to be VOIP and not utilise the BT phone line already present. Neither of the two operators mentioned that previously and I've seen nothing online about it either. As a consequence, if my power goes down, or the broadband, I lose the ability to make any calls, including emergency.

I'm also concerned that I won't be able to use my Orbi router as I'll now need the VF one for VOIP. And what if I then decide to move away from VF? Will my BT phone number be lost in VOIP and not transfer back to a normal line?

It would appear my phone is VOIP compatible.

Last edited:
Caporegime
All providers are moving people to VoIP services now, if you need to make emergency calls you will have to supply a UPS or use your mobile phone.

Soldato
Er, speaking of VOIP....I found out today that I can't transfer my old landline number (with Vodafone) over the the VOIP side (with Vodafone)!!
No one mentioned this to me!!! :( I can't find mention of it on their website either. Granted, it doesn't say I can transfer it, but come on, it's 2020 - transferring your number is the assumed default nowadays, and it should be explicitly stated if you can't.

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Oth...orting-from-Vodafone-to-Gigafast/td-p/2647686

Caporegime
Port the number out to someone else like Sipgate and then either port it back or just use it on Sipgate. Ofcom are really hot on number porting and by law providers are not allowed to prevent you porting your number out.

Associate
Had mine installed yesterday on the 200mb service. Luckily we have CF here and they used BT ducts to deliver to the house so no digging required. Took about 30 mins - however when I placed the order originally they visited my house and pre-installed the wire to the outside of my property.

the only thing is the box outside looks plain ugly with the wire clearly showing. Anyone could literally snip it if they wanted to. The box on the inside is plain ugly too.

Soldato
550down 530 up via the MS speedtest, im impressed, the guys also did a great job of getting it installed and you wouldn't notice the lawn was dug up, but yeah the boxes are fugly so i opted to have the little one and router installed in my garage, i'll run a cat5 at somepoint for my desktop/server but the wireless covers the house well enough for the wireless devices.

Soldato
Land of roundabouts.... perhaps you had the same guys as me then in sunny Newport Pagnell.
I didn't think the box was that bad... Mines on the front of my house, next to the BT box, sky cable, and Ethernet cable going up the outside of the house! :D

Associate
My VF router arrived yesterday despite changing the installation date to the 20th. I'm now waiting for BT to turn me off on the 8th, despite getting several assurances from VF that it won't happen until they come on the 20th. :eek:

The router looks ok, but it's my intention to exchange it as soon as the broadband is up and running.

Associate
I went with Vodafone as they were the only Gigabit providers in my area, £42 a month for 500mbps.

Although the speed is fantastic, customer service is terrible, lies and avoiding tactics by the advisors, they didn't send the modem in time for activation date, then told me my activation date was delayed 2 weeks when it was in fact incorrect modem settings preventing my service being active.

After hours and hours on chats and calls to customer service, they eventually compensated with 3 months bills free of charge.

Hopefully after 24 month contract is up, other operators will be able to sell the gigabit service, as I will definitely be leaving Vodafone at the end of this contract.

Associate
So were you actually without internet? Were you also without telephone (if you transferred that as well)?

I've been with BT for several years and not had any issues. But I think the true test of customer service is when things are going wrong, not when everything is working as it should!

I've got my VF router and the big day is next Tuesday! Quite excited for some reason. :D

Associate
So were you actually without internet? Were you also without telephone (if you transferred that as well)?

I've been with BT for several years and not had any issues. But I think the true test of customer service is when things are going wrong, not when everything is working as it should!

I've got my VF router and the big day is next Tuesday! Quite excited for some reason. :D

Only for the first day, luckily the engineers doing the installation had a spare VF hub in their van, so they plugged that in and set it up.

And as for the activation delay, there was no delay, the wrong settings had been sent to the router, so after calling activation team tech support, the updated settings were sent, router was reset and all was working fine.

Caporegime
I'd put up with Vodafone if it was the only way to get a 500Mbps symmetrical service, even though I completely loathe the company.

Associate
Only for the first day, luckily the engineers doing the installation had a spare VF hub in their van, so they plugged that in and set it up.

And as for the activation delay, there was no delay, the wrong settings had been sent to the router, so after calling activation team tech support, the updated settings were sent, router was reset and all was working fine.

How are you finding their router? I was planning to replace it with my Orbi, but I'm not sure I'll be able to especially as the phone line will now be VOIP.

Back
Top Bottom