Vodafone Gigafast

Associate
How are you finding their router? I was planning to replace it with my Orbi, but I'm not sure I'll be able to especially as the phone line will now be VOIP.

Is your ORBI a mesh based system? WiFi router + points?

If it is it probably won't, my ONT only has a single LAN cable going to the VF Router, there's a plug on the VF router for your telephone.

I did have a Google Nest WiFi Router + 2 WiFi points system, but the problems I had is that you cannot set the VF router to bridge mode, so I was getting double NAT, connection issues, and speed issues on the Google WiFi network, also you cannot connect the Google WiFi router directly to the ONT because the line uses VLAN tagging, so you cannot simply input your PPPoE info, you also need to include a VLAN number, which Google WiFi does not support. Also, if you remove the VF router, you then have nowhere to plug in your phone.

So at the moment I am using the VF router I live in a large 3 bed house, and usually where I needed a Router + extender, or recently, Google Nest WiFi + 2 points, the VF router has managed fine so far on it's own, I've only had it on for a couple of days, but but coverage has been good so far.

Associate
Quick post to say it's in and the installation was quick and it's up and running, but I'm not 100% happy with the installation and speeds are slower that I expected, but I know it's early days yet....I haven't had the time to play with the settings or research the use of my Orbi but the VLAN issue does ring some bells...

I'm on the 500 package, but it's Openreach so not symmetrical.

Upload is amazing! And as I am currently backing up my NAS to the cloud (I changed backup providers recently) it's going to make a massive difference.

Associate
Quick post to say it's in and the installation was quick and it's up and running, but I'm not 100% happy with the installation and speeds are slower that I expected, but I know it's early days yet....I haven't had the time to play with the settings or research the use of my Orbi but the VLAN issue does ring some bells...

I'm on the 500 package, but it's Openreach so not symmetrical.

Upload is amazing! And as I am currently backing up my NAS to the cloud (I changed backup providers recently) it's going to make a massive difference.

I'm currently working on a solution for the VLAN issue in which a couple of forum members have suggested using a cheap network switch, I have a thread on it here - https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/threads/which-modem-for-gigabit-lan-cable.18902659/

But they remaining issue is the landline, it has to be plugged into the VF hub. I don't use my landline, nothing but nuisance calls in last 3 years so I never use it.

Associate
Thanks. I'll take a look at that thread.

Landline is an area of confusion at the moment. The Openreach engineers split my phone and internet line from the outside box into the property. The fibre optic cable goes to the ONT inside and then to the new VF router.

The telephone line goes separately from the outside Openreach box to my existing master socket. In fact, they appear to have utilised the existing cable. So my phone line still works, with my existing phone number as it did before. I have not got anything plugged into the VF router's telephone port.

I was under the impression my new phone line would utilise the VF router (VOIP) and my number would transfer. But it doesn't appear to be working that way.

Speeds are fluctuating, but better in this snapshot:

Associate
I've just received an email from BT saying 'We're sorry to see you go...' and now my landline has stopped working. So I guess I now have to connect it to my VF router and see if it works...

Guess what!? There's no adapter to connect my phone to the router. I'm currently in a Live Chat with VF asking for one, but the agent has no idea what I'm talking about. I guess this is where I experience the wonderful VF customer service everyone raves about!

Last edited:
Associate
I've just received an email from BT saying 'We're sorry to see you go...' and now my landline has stopped working. So I guess I now have to connect it to my VF router and see if it works...

Yeah, thought that might happen. As it's a completely new line installation, internet and phone come in on the fibre cable to the ONT, that's why the router needs to support VLAN tagging, for the VOIP part for the phone.

Which is frustrating, as it ties you to the VF router to have a landline, although technically it's no longer a landline as it's delivered over the internet.

Luckily I never used my landline, nothing but cold callers for at least the last 3 years, so I don't really notice its gone.

Associate
To be honest we could probably ditch the landline. It's one of those legacy services that just hangs on for dear life! But we've signed up for it now.

The line they installed is actually a dual-core cable (or whatever they actually call it) - there's a copper line running alongside the fibre optic. It splits at the external box: fibre then going to the ONT inside and copper phone line going to my BT master socket. So I guess it gives me, or a future owner, options.

Soldato
I had a 500Mb VF line installed on Wednesday and I seem to also be getting the speed drops others have mentioned. During the day it's a pretty consistent 530 down/560 up. However from about 1930/2000 in the evening the download speed drops massively. For example, right now I'm getting 7.5 down/530 up according to speedtest.net.

I get contention is an issue etc. but I still feel massively aggrieved when I'm getting 1.5% of the speed I paid for.

Associate
Hi all, just got myself on the gigafast 900mb down and up through city fibre. Can anyone recommend a good router/modem that will work with openwrt that can take advantage of the full speed.please. I got the broadband username and password from their live chat so I'm ready to go.

Thanks.

Associate
I'm also getting bad speeds, it was 920 down on day 1, since then it hasn't gone above 300. I've logged a couple of calls. It's fast but not what I paid for. It also crapped out earlier and I was only getting 25down. I'll be asking for some money off.

Caporegime
Thanks. I'll take a look at that thread.

Landline is an area of confusion at the moment. The Openreach engineers split my phone and internet line from the outside box into the property. The fibre optic cable goes to the ONT inside and then to the new VF router.

The telephone line goes separately from the outside Openreach box to my existing master socket. In fact, they appear to have utilised the existing cable. So my phone line still works, with my existing phone number as it did before. I have not got anything plugged into the VF router's telephone port.

I was under the impression my new phone line would utilise the VF router (VOIP) and my number would transfer. But it doesn't appear to be working that way.

Speeds are fluctuating, but better in this snapshot:

How have you speeds been now?

Vodafone FTTP via Openreach is available to me according to the website and at the moment it's £35 for 500 which is massively cheaper than BT and EE so I'm considering it.

Did you sort out using the Orbi as the router and have to do the VLAN config (on their forums it's all specific to Cityfibre rather than Openreach providing it)?

Associate
How have you speeds been now?

Vodafone FTTP via Openreach is available to me according to the website and at the moment it's £35 for 500 which is massively cheaper than BT and EE so I'm considering it.

Did you sort out using the Orbi as the router and have to do the VLAN config (on their forums it's all specific to Cityfibre rather than Openreach providing it)?

I'm still using the VF router as my telephone needs to be plugged into it. However, I connected my Orbi satellite and have that upstairs in my bedroom. It's helping a little with the various wireless devices up there, e.g. echo speaker, fire tv stick. But truthfully, if I didn't have the Orbi I don't think I'd be left wanting with just the VF router.

I'm very happy with the product so far. I hope I never have to use VF CS as it's universally regarded as being pants. But the speed and the price are spot on. We're a family of five and there's always a film being streamed, an online game being played, photos being up/downloaded, and it's working really well.

y4mFxhgdTTiBGvxDW85dOF0YpYy1uwYvHL6ZPEiD8_XhVmHitJ9MwsptMgUK9iI89zbR9GWLXYShBX8fMjyGNfRZ50nMSGORK3AtDNwxghexqIncsIMJ6E3ccaHIvBCEYuaDbXtZFJ_ANs4K2LibTJ-4iXNNuyR85sSeqdHL5MhOPZ2tRc_GYtjGj8c5_s_yCH3

Last edited:
Caporegime
There's no VLAN config on Openreach, you just put in PPPoE details.

Ah that's good to know!

I'm still using the VF router as my telephone needs to be plugged into it. However, I connected my Orbi satellite and have that upstairs in my bedroom. It's helping a little with the various wireless devices up there, e.g. echo speaker, fire tv stick. But truthfully, if I didn't have the Orbi I don't think I'd be left wanting with just the VF router.

I'm very happy with the product so far. I hope I never have to use VF CS as it's universally regarded as being pants. But the speed and the price are spot on. We're a family of five and there's always a film being streamed, an online game being played, photos being up/downloaded, and it's working really well.

Very good thanks for the info. I've read a lot of bad stuff on their forums about their CS!

Associate
Are you still using your Google WiFi with the managed switched? What speeds are you getting?
Yes, still using that set up, currently getting 522mbps down and 102mbps up.

But obvs with that set up means I can't use a land-line, but only ever got nuisance calls so don't miss it.

Back
Top Bottom